• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:23 PM

I have a co-worker who has been to Cozumel several times with her husband & son who is now about 10 yrs old.  They have pretty much done all of the touristy stuff and are visiting again on a Disney cruise in January.  She asked me about surfing in Cozumel.

That totally caught me off guard but when I did a Google search; I actually found places.  All happening on the east side of the island.  What she wants to know is how safe is it and which op is the best.  

She knows I am moving there in the beginning of the year and has heard me talk about this wonderful forum full of lots of knowledgeable folks so she asked me to ask you.

Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated.

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:54 PM

There is surfing on the east side.  It may not be everyday, just depends on the weather.

There is a fellow who rents boards at one of the beaches.  

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:38 AM

Try this guy out.  He offers lessons and boards.

http://www.cozumelsurfing.com/

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#4 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:42 AM

My son is now 15 yrs old and he has surfed with Nacho @ Cozumel surfing at least 5x since he was 8 yrs old. Nacho is fantastic with kids they will have a blast! Enjoy

#5 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

I may be a little paranoid, but this is one thing I have no interest in. 

Shark attacks on surfers worldwide seems to be on the upswing.  I'm on my way to Maui in 2 weeks and there's been 5 attacks on swimmers, surfers, snorkelers within 50 yards of shore. 

Please be sure you wear a life vest on the east side, those beaches and currents are not for weak swimmers. 

I'm very much in shape and I have only gotten in the water on the east side 2-3 times over the last 20+ years and not past my waist.

“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#6 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:13 AM

You are literally much more likely to be killed by lightning, a horse (even if you never ride), a stepladder, or a tree than a shark whether surfing or not.

A life vest is typically not needed for a surfer since they're usually wearing sufficient neoprene in the form of a wetsuit to provide flotation. They also have a very floaty surfboard tethered to an ankle.

I'm no longer in very good shape, but (as a former lifeguard and water safety instructor), I have no worries about swimming on the east side as long as conditions are appropriate.

#7 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

Re: Sharks... That used to be the case.  So, give that stat to the 5 shark attack victims that occured in Maui over the last 2 weeks.  :rolleyes:

The OP was talking about a 10 yr old little kid though.  I know even 20 years ago in my 20s, I could never swim against a Cozumel current.  I would not recommend anything I wasn't prepared to do myself, I would wear lifejacket to surf down there.  They don't call it the wild side for nothing ^_^

Safety is #1, please be respectful of the ocean.  She can be your best friend or your worst enemy. 

“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#8 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:15 AM

Thanks guys I will pass this along.  I think if it was just her and her husband; they'd go for it...but with their son along Mom is more worried about safety.  She'd rather he do a scuba intro.

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#9 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

Thanks guys I will pass this along.  I think if it was just her and her husband; they'd go for it...but with their son along Mom is more worried about safety.  She'd rather he do a scuba intro.

I think scuba is a much safer bet... Not saying it's without risk.  it's just that almost all shark attacks are swimmers, snorkelers, or surfers - rarely a diver. 

For scuba, I highly recommend investing $20 for a safety sausage to put on the kid's BCD, and teach him how to use it in case of an emergency.

#10 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

I completely disagree. I am sure the stats on scuba accidents far outweigh the shark accidents on Coz ...shark attacks in Hawaii maybe .....but this is not Hawaii so I do not see the comparison. When my son was 8, he surfed with Nacho for 2 days in a row 4 hours each day (with water/rest breaks). As he got older he cut it back to one day for 4 hours, as 2 in a row kicked his butt, however, he never was hurt or in danger and Nacho and his assistant stay out in the water always within 10 feet the entire time. Normally they surfed to the left of Playa Bonita. Hope the family gives him a chance, if not I hope the scuba equipment is up to all safety standards and have fun with that.

#11 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

I think you misunderstood my point.  I was saying that sharks attack swimmers, surfers, boarders and rarely divers.  I was not talking about scuba related accidents, only shark attack victims.

#12 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

Hi Mark, I get it but how many issues have there been in Coz with sharks?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users