26 replies to this topic

#1 shan7199

shan7199

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

Hi,

My husband and I are travelling to Cancun for a wedding and staying at Dreams all inclu there. I know I will be bored after 3 days and we plan to come over to Cozumel by ferry on our own Feb 26 (leaving Coz by plane Mar 1). Now, we'd like a "budget" room since we do not plan to spend time in it except to sleep but something that would have a nice sitting area elsewhere on the property or close to authentic cafes or pubs that we could go to instead. We haven't decided what we are going to do but it will involve striking out on our own and exploring Cozumel (rental car will happen at some point). We'd still like to be about 10 to 15 minutes walking distance (or closer) to the main boardwalk.

So. We saw one quaint little place Hotel La Casona Real Cozumel. It gets mixed reviews on tripadvisor but really sounds like it depends on what room you get. Any ideas about that? We need to have accommodations that have more than just a double bed, we are both quite tall but don't mind calling or emailing any suggested hotels to find out if they have larger than simple double bed. The Flamingo sounds nice but, I don't know. Guess I'm looking for "quaint". Thanks for any help or ideas.

S.

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:30 AM

Based on your needs, I would look a Hacienda San Miguel.  It is on the north end of town, but well within walking distance of centro.

Can't help you about TA...it's not relevant.

http://www.haciendasanmiguel.com/

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

Amigos B&B, now Amigos Hostel, still has 1 private room with kitchenette @$45/nite. Includes a Pool and lovely garden area. 5 blocks from the waterfront, but you are still in the centro area... walkable to everything.

http://www.cozumelhostel.com/

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

La Casona Real has a great location and a nice inner courtyard for hanging around.  A few of the rooms a somewhat spacious but most are pretty tiny and basic.

Flamingo has a nice sitting area and also a good location and used to have one suite upstairs with the other rooms also being pretty basic but that may have changed.

I guess Vista del Mar is going to be more than $65.  I'd consider Hacienda SAn Miguel or the good tip on the suite at Amigos Hostel..  Amigos is back in the hood a few blocks but a very safe neighborhood and an interesting one as well.  You have a 6 block walk to the downtown waterfront from there.

It is good you are booking early as you are asking about the primest time of the high season.

What is that fairly new B and B right down town near La Choza, somebody?  Haven't been to look at it but it's getting some nice comments on this forum??  Anyone know what I'm talking about??

Oh, what about Mi Casa en Cozumel?  Don't know the pricing but location is good and rooms look interesting.

#5 shan7199

shan7199

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:33 PM

I appreciate the link for Amigos but it looks like the private rooms are all single beds. We will consider a nice stay up to around $90 but if we can find that perfect little place for under $65....then great! We want to splurge on fine dining and private tours (something else I will have to ask about soon but right now - Hotel first)  :-) And thanks for letting me know its prime time tourist in Feb as I wouldn't have known that. I must make sure to finalize room bookings quickly.

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

The problem your going to face is that you are in high season.  But, comfort is a priority for me

Check out this one...It might be above you budget, but it puts you square in the action.

.http://www.guidosboutiquehotel.com/

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 shan7199

shan7199

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:01 PM

Ouch! Guidos is completely booked for the dates I would be there. Comfort only has to be average for us. Clean, A/C, functional rooms, friendly attendants, close to café or have a place to sit out, comfort (bed size), within 5 minutes to boardwalk (but will go as far out as 15 minutes), low noise, fridge, Under $65,  or$90 - how I would list the priority.

Mi Casa looks really nice and I will consider Hacienda for sure. I will check with them both! But the La Casona Real may be all that I need if other people (who know this place) feel its worth the money ($40 to $50) as long as it meets my list and we can get a decent nights sleep  :-)  I really appreciate the help!

#8 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:33 PM

The private room at Amigos - they push the singles together to make a King. The other rooms have been converted to Bunks = hostel. I've stayed in the private room and it is a steal at $45 with the kitchenette. Add the pool and beautiful gardens and you are set.

Carey - are you thinking of Villa Escondida?

http://www.villaescondidacozumel.com/

There is also Coral Reef Inn and Los Alcatraces... both getting good reviews.  Check out Trip Advisor B&Bs for reviews &/or google to find websites. I think Mexcelia did a blog post on Coral Reef Inn that should be posted on this board under blogs. I haven't stayed at either one but they sound good.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#9 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

Suites Vima on 10th ave close to calle 6. It's downtown, quiet block and priced under $50. Minimal English spoken. Lot's of places around or under $65 that used to cost more. I'd suggest paying little attention to trip advisor reviews, look, but keep them in perspective.

#10 shan7199

shan7199

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

Yeah I noted some f the bad reviews on Tripadvisor were people mad b/c the booking from another site messed up or there are too many dogs barking (note to self, get earplugs), or the hot water isn't always hot but I am seeing that can be common for the less expensive places. Mildew, though, would be a big problem for me. Viima Suites look like a good option but I see they don't have a website. I'm afraid to call b/c I don't know any Spanish!!  lol My friend in Calgary does, I might get her to call for me.

UPDATE, my husband is telling me he wants a view. Doesn't matter what it is but something relaxing and comfortable with a view. So Mi Casa is looking good for the price. Hacienda, I'm not sure what kind of views they have.

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

Take a look at Casa Mexican.  Friends stay there, and the property is very nice.  If you don't want to pay for a room with a view, the deck in the lobby is great.

http://www.casamexicanacozumel.com/

Anonymous

#12 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:49 PM

My In-laws have stayed at Suites Colonial right off the centro on the pedestrian street and really like it there. You go down to Casa Mexicana for your breakfast. It is around the 50/night price.

Cindy

#13 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

Best place with great service http://www.micasacoz...zumel/Home.html $57 a night and under with kitchen..ENJOY...read reviews on tripadvisor. 

#14 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:34 PM

http://student.santa...html/rooms.html. is a web site put up by a friend/guest of the place. I posted a bunch of photos in a trip report in October 2012. I liked the place a lot. send an email in english and they will respond. 3rd floor has nice view.this is for suites vima

#15 DiverDown

DiverDown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

I really like Hotel Plaza Cozumel. A Block from the Square, a view of the ocean, a pool on the roof to hang out. Well under $60/night.

http://www.hotelplazacozumel.com

#16 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:27 AM

The problem your going to face is that you are in high season.

Yep - high season - everything is higher.

I appreciate the link for Amigos but it looks like the private rooms are all single beds. We will consider a nice stay up to around $90 but if we can find that perfect little place for under $65..

Villablanca is in your price range, but if you can split the difference, Casa Del Mar fior $79/night will be hard to beat...

Amigos B&B, now Amigos Hostel, still has 1 private room with kitchenette @$45/nite. Includes a Pool and lovely garden area. 5 blocks from the waterfront, but you are still in the centro area... walkable to everything.

http://www.cozumelhostel.com/

The hostel... :unsure:

“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#17 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

the upscale places and the smaller, 'boutique' places that get a lot of good reviews are likely to be sold out pretty early.  A lot of the great suggestions you're getting here, however, won't necessarily show up on giant commercial forums like tripadvisor so they are slower to fill up as they are under the radar.  This is unfortunatelfor them but fortunate for you.

Kudos for booking nice and early, however.  You really do stand the best chance.

We hope you will keep us posted as to what you end up booking and then give us a brief (or long) report on how you liked it so we can help other people down the line in your position.

I will add that I generally check tripadvisor for hotels when I am in transit back in the states. And I've gotten badly burned more than once.  Most notably was a highly rated hotel near Heathrow airport outside London.  I can't understand how it got the reviews it received except to note that tripadvisor does NOT verify reviews -- as in check to see if the person posting is legit.  Also their business model is to cater to lodgings, restaurants, etc. that pay them an annual fee.  At a certain level of payment, I wouldn't be surprised it they didn't start removing negative reviews from high-rolling business owners working with them.

Long story short, good to check lots of sources for suggestions as you are doing.

#18 shan7199

shan7199

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

We have decided on Mi Casa and have booked the Sandia room.  It was a toss up between this and Vima suites in the end so I really appreciate all the input. We decided that for having breakfast included with Mi Casa, the difference in prices were negligible. I started another thread looking for activities to do while here if anyone is still interested in providing ideas. It's really great group and forum here!

#19 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

Much better choice you made.

I look at places that I would put my family in, and Mi Casa is pretty funky, and fun.

Left you some idea's of what I do on the island, and were I take my family when they visit.

Anonymous

#20 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

I am sure you will enjoy Mi Casa also.  The location is excellent -- on a quiet street two blocks from the waterfront.  We hope you'll give us a trip report!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users