25 replies to this topic

#1 shan7199

shan7199

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:46 AM

Hi,

My husband and I will only be in Cozumel for 3 days arriving via ferry or MAYair on Wed morning and leaving Sat morning. I know its not alot of time  :-)  Wedding in Cancun keeps us there, unfortunately. We don't want to hang out on a beach and will probably be all snorkelled and "dived"out (will get lots of that on Cancun), unless someone thinks we should save one of those for Cozumel. Just that we are paying the all in resort over in Cancun so might as well take advantage of it there  :-)

Shopping we can fit in later but again, would like to hit places that tourists maybe don't get to very often. But maybe I will ask that in another string closer to the time when we would be arriving.

Any suggestions where we can go or what we should do - like your top 3 if all you had was three days? I don't want to do the "group tour" thing. Would love to get more out into the jungles and explore maybe. We can rent a car, we are fit and can hike too. Don't mind setting up with  a private tour if that's the way to get to see what we want to see. We would LOVE to hit a small pub somewhere other than in San Miguel, something more local to the "locals".

Thanks!

#2 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

Most people would do the opposite.

Come to Cozumel for their diving and snorkeling and do the other stuff in the area around Cancun (Ruins etc...) 

#3 shan7199

shan7199

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

I'm nervous to strike out on our own from the Resort in Cancun  :-)  Maybe we'll do one dive in Cozumel.....I have never done that before, just snorkelling

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:27 PM

Your in for a real treat then.

After living here 10 years, these are things I enjoy doing:

Tiger Adventure Tours:http://www.tigers-adventures.com/

I like the snorkel tour, but I LOVE Cielo.  It is the most spectacular water you will ever see.

Tiger is a showman, and it can get a little rowdy, but it is all in good fun.  

For something completely unique the Temacal Sweat Lodge http://www.temazcalcozumel.com/

Entertainment, and great food is found easily.

Woody's for music and food 

Wet Wendy's

Money Bar 

Rasta's on the east side.  

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 shan7199

shan7199

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

I like both those tours. Tiger sunset is one we'll have to do. I was curious about Horseback riding too - not the typical "nose to tail" with 40 other horses but someone who would take us somewhere or do something a little more "unique" maybe? And it has to be someone who really takes care of their horses. I remember I was in Cozumel 2 times in the past off a ship (last time has to be bout 7 years ago at least) and saw those poor horses in the middle of the heat having to drag these "tourists" (who apparently didn't care) around in a carriage. Couldn't believe that people could not see that those horses were practically dead on their feet. This was a while ago, not sure if its still being done.

I also remember reading about a guy who does private tours with kayaks - an Eco thing through the mangroves. He's been some sort of environmentalist I think, been exploring there for most his life I think?. I wish I could remember where I saw this.....

You know, I don't want to do the ruins on Cancun b/c 10,000 other tourists are there and doing the exact same thing at the exact same places. I will go see them at some point on Cancun but I just want to come to Coz for my last few days and do things with smaller groups or on our own - things that are less known to the ship-goers and the masses of other tourists who like to stick to easy sight-seeing.

#6 luvfish

luvfish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

You can also rent a private boat and make a couple of stops. Swim and check outq the star fish at cielo. Or just let the experienced boat capitain take you by boat to have lunch and do some snorkling. Your choice.
Price for this is $200.00 for four hours----- plus tip -----Smiles
Just email anetprandi@gmail.com for further info.
We would pick you up at pier near ferry crossing

#7 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

Other options for off the beaten path...

De Lille Sports offers SUP (stand up paddle board) tours.  We went north and paddled in the lagoons among the mangroves.  Raul is a cozumeleno who represented Mexico in numerous windsurfing competitions.  He introduced kiteboarding to Cozumel (you can take lessons) and now has introduced SUP to the island.  He's exceptionally knowledgable about the island and is a terrific guy.  Top notch tour and service.  http://www.delillesp....com/eng/tours/

Yvonne Villager's husband Robert (Yvonne owns Guidos) offers canoe tours of the lagoons as well.  For this tour we drove up to Mezcalitos and entered the lagoon up there.  It was an incredible experience.  The sunset we saw was like no other I'd ever seen.  Absolutely breathtaking.  Another great guy.  Very knowledgable.  Check out his photography in the Cozumel airport (oops - you're not coming by air - but others who are reading this may be) 

Also check out the chocolate factory KaoKao  www.chocolateskaokao.com  Family owned Joshue and Maryline are knowledgable and enthusiastic - plus you get to taste some great chocolate. 

Then there's the Pearl Farm

Enjoy!

#8 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

For some reason the only link that posted was to DeLille posts. 

For Robert's tour - put Mexico Silvestre Wilderness Tours in your search engine. 

For chocolate tour - search Kaokao 

and for the pearl farm  search Cozumel pearl farm

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

For the horse back riding, I would choose Mr. Sancho's.http://www.mrsanchos...nchos/tours.htm

The SUP would be fun.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#10 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

Hey, C2W, is that horse thing 'ok'?   I once looked into horses and the beach and all, but was made to feel guilty as they weren't treated well generally.    I would be interested in finding one that is okey dokey.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#11 shan7199

shan7199

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:38 AM

It would be really important to know that the horses were well taken care of.  Even if it means NOT doing that type of thing. The only reason we would want to do like a horseback riding thing would be to go through the jungle, maybe see some old ruins. It's not a priority if its really not worth it and especially if the horses aren't well cared for.

Thanks for posting Robert Silvestre - that was the person I was thinking of for the canoeing. I still like Tigers Cielo trip. And I have asked the person at Mi Casa to get me in touch with a Dive place so I was directed to Paco at http://www.blueprojectcozumel.com. Any thoughts on this? I might just go with these three things (one adventure per day)  :-)

#12 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:30 AM

Yea, I would love to know more about the horses.  There is a horse rescue.  She might have the skinny too.

As for dive ops, there are A TON of them.  Most of them are terrific by all reports.  What are you looking for is the question.  Cheap and maybe a little cattle boat like?  Big tanks to help you have a long bottom time?  More than 2 dives a day?  Valet Service? Special setups for giant camera rigs?

We dive with Alison, scubawithalison.com. She is the owner and the DM with Carlos her Captain operating a very fast bertram style boat.  She takes just one group at a time, focuses on safety, great with new divers, and really funny. She is probably mid range in costs, maybe on the low side for valet ops.  Again though it is all about what you want and expect in a dive op.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#13 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:47 AM

I have viewed the horses as well as Mr. Sancho's and from what I saw, they were in good shape. I patted them, and did look them over pretty well.  

There is one stable just before you get to El Cedral, that takes you to the ruins in El Cedral.  The "ruins" are small, but it is an important part of the island history.

The horses here are much smaller (Spanish horses), so don't let that concern you.  I have never seen more then 2 to 4 people in a group riding to El Cedral.

Chief is referring to the Cozumel Horse Sanctuary that is owned, and managed by Liliana Velasco-Azira.  I am sure (as Chief suggests) she will be able to provide an opinion on a stable she would/would not recommend. http://www.ranchouniverso.org/

Anonymous

#14 shan7199

shan7199

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

Neither one of us are really "divers" My husband has done it before - something arranged with a group on a past cruise. I have never done it and probably wouldn't bother except he likes it alot. Money is not really an issue for the right experience -  mid is fine but prefer very small groups or private. I don't know how much they charge usually  lol. Maybe $100 - $150 each with everything? We want a really good experience. I don't know what "valet" diving is. We aren't photographers but if a diving crew did that - it would be great (I assume that's what camera rigs are) but that doesn't matter to me, it would be just an added bonus. I guess bigger tanks would be better - if I'm going to do it, then want to do it right - that would be the motto for this.  :-)  We, of course, have absolutely no equipment. One long dive or two short dives in a day depending on what is offered. Geez I guess I should look this up more, didn't realize there was so much stuff to it.

#15 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

I'm not clear, is your husband a certified diver?

If so, he needs to bring his "C" card with him.

If he is not certified, at minimum he will have to take an Intro to scuba course.   I am sure you will find "somebody" to take you out, but I sure wouldn't dive with them.

Anonymous

#16 shan7199

shan7199

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

No he isn't certified but I know he went diving before. I looked at the certifications. We won't be diving. With Tigers snorkel tour - do you get to go to Cielo's too and see the sunset or is it tow totally different things? I've gone snorkeling a few times before, I guess it just doesn't excite me. Did it once, liked it, did several times after that...meh. I would only be doing it b/c my husband seems to love it. I'd rather hike up into a jungle, or ATV (or horseback)  lol

But diving is now out.

I emailed that Horse rescue ranch to ask about what they suggest. Thanks for the tip! What about elsewhere on the island - anywhere going to go see or do? I heard there is some sort of park.....

#17 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

Is Adrian still doing his snorkel tours?

If he is I would friend him on FB as he is the environmentalist I think you are referring to and a very nice man.  He does have a new baby, but I dount that is slowing him down.

#18 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:29 AM

Well I wouldn't say diving is "out".  Cozumel is a diver's paradise.  I have seen a number of people pass through that never get certified and do the 'discover scuba' resort course repeatedly.  You take basic instruction and dive next to a dm on shallow reefs.  I also took my extended family out for 'discover scuba' so they could try it out. 

On the other hand, if you don't like under water stuff, you might not want to let him do it in Coz.  Chances are he will fall in love with the underwater scenery in Coz and then he will want to do dive vacations all the time.  It might work out though after you fall in love with Coz above the water. 

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#19 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:12 PM

Your in for a real treat then.

After living here 10 years, these are things I enjoy doing:

Tiger Adventure Tours:http://www.tigers-adventures.com/

I like the snorkel tour, but I LOVE Cielo.  It is the most spectacular water you will ever see.

Tiger is a showman, and it can get a little rowdy, but it is all in good fun.  

For something completely unique the Temacal Sweat Lodge http://www.temazcalcozumel.com/

Entertainment, and great food is found easily.

Woody's for music and food 

Wet Wendy's

Money Bar 

Rasta's on the east side.  

What - no recommendation for the beach bar with the margaritas in clay pots?  :D

It would be really important to know that the horses were well taken care of.

The horse I rode was healthy as a... well, a horse... :D

LOL_Only_horse_i_ll_ride.jpg

“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#20 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

Told ya the horses at Mr. Sancho's were in good shape.  Mark on the other hand... :wub:

Go a head, report me! :ph34r:

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users