• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 alma

alma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

Based on suggestions, we set out for a day of food shopping.  First, Soriana's on 30th.  I must say that this was my pick for the best produce.  The romaine lettuce was very fresh, the tomatoes smelled like tomatoes, and the miel pineapples also were ripe and fresh.  We then stopped at Mahajara on 65th.  Not much there but we did buy some carrots so will have to find out if they are the most delicious in the whole world!  We then went to Sam's for some cleaning supplies.  I did buy a bag of frozen chicken breasts and some coffee beans.  Sam's had very nice looking turkey breast, feta cheese, etc., but just too much.  We stopped next door at Aurora to check out groceries.  Their produce was very nice as well.  We then went to Europea to pick up a baguette and also purchased a bottle of wine which was much cheaper than the same bottle we saw elsewhere.  The olives and olive oil we purchased there previously were very good.  Finally, we stopped at Chedraui where we found the best looking prepackaged Holland ham and turkey breast in reasonably sized packages at a decent price.  We also found the low-fat tortillas that we had looked for everywhere but no one had them but the Ched.  Chedraui also had a great selection of produce today as well as the best selection of cheeses that we found anywhere.  Chedraui also had low-fat peanut butter.  There is very little anyone could want that cannot be found here.

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:03 AM

Thanks for the tips.  Where is Europa?  Not familiar with this store.

You might want to check Guidos deli on the corner of Avenida 15 Norte with Calle 10 I believe it is.  They are not inexpensive but have some of the best specialty items and prepared food on the island.  They make their own corned beef and turkey salami.  And their swiss cheese is much sweeter and more flavorful than what I've been able to purchase at the big boxes.

I am a huge fan of their bread as well.  They have a dedicated baker, Robert, and boy is he turning out some good bread as well as other deluxo pastries.  Their quiches are really good also.  Oh...freshly made pasta most days and you can purchase one of their basic Guido's pasta sauces as well.  Grind up some parmesan and you've got what passes for a fast food meal in these parts.

#3 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:33 AM

Europea is on the corner of Melgar and 11.  Across from Margaritaville.

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

I just can't do Soriana's.  I suffer from cart rage. Small isles, and the check out line that seem to be the length of a football field.

The carrots I get at Mahajara always taste sweeter to me.  I never peel them, just scrub the outside down (same with potatoes).

I usually roast them, but have also done them up with a little  molasses, or brown sugar.

Aurora has some good, soft french bread, and rolls.  They also have the best bras you can find on the island...I know not particularly a food item, but through I'd throw that in.

I will gladly provide my list of wants, but your right, it is SO MUCH BETTER.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:10 PM

I hear ya on the cart rage, Girl Friend.  I also do not do Wait well.

#6 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:33 PM

I'd stand in line for Soriana fried chicken.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users