Atm Card Exchenge

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bonefish

bonefish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing,mountain biking,books,being in the mountains or on a beach watching a sunset

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

Sorry for the typo. 

Where is the best place to use ATM for exchanging money? 

We are finally here in Cozumel. I have been getting lots of good information from this site.

This subject was talked about last year. Does anyone have any new information on this subject?

Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

The Banamex next to the big Burger King on Avenida 30 1 block south of the intersection with Benito Juarez.  These are swipe machines and because you're in the bank, you can go in and talk to them if you have a problem with the 'chine.

#3 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

Carey, it would be awesome to have a list of places that take swipe cards as opposed to sucking cards. We frequent Mega and Chedraui, and I can never remember which bank machine is which. The machines don't tell you either. Also, the banks and other places seem to enjoy sucking cards. If we could have a cheat sheet, that would be great!

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:18 AM

That's going to be a real short list which starts and ends with Banamex.  There is a Banamex swipe card 'chine in the Mega.  I believe there is also one in the Chedraui but it used to be broken a lot.  And there are two chines in the Banamex bank itself at the 30 Avenue with Calle 1 Sur -- 1 block south of the big intersection of Benito Juarez and 30.

I use the Banamex bank mostly but I've so far never had a problem with the Banamex ATM at the Mega.  They are over by the produce section at the front of the store where they make the pizzas.

#5 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:32 AM

Or use Xoom.com for a flat fee of $4.99. Enter your info, submit, and go to the bank of your choosing (I use Elektra) with your passport to pick it up. No machine involved! Exchange rate is generally 0.20 or less below the rate at the moment of your transaction online.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

Xoom works if you don't try to transfer more than two loads of $2999 USD each within the same year.  After that they make you jump another hurdle where you have to FAX a lot of personal financial info to their Mexican partner, Intermex.

So you can count on close to $6000 USD by that method but don't try to send more than that.  If you're here on vacation, doubtful you'd need that much.

It turned out to not work for me because I was trying to funnel down much larger sums of cash for a construction project.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users