12 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:49 AM

Aside from scuba diving which has its own forum here and eating and drinking oneself into a stupor (easy to do here) which also has its own discussion, what are people's fav activities when they're on Cozumel.

One of my favorites is strolling down to the waterfront at sunset and walking out on the Aqua Safari pier or sitting on the seawall to watch the sunset. I also enjoy watching the windsurfer kids up at the north end of downtown just past Airport Blvd in the area known as Las Casitas after the Navy Family Housing units that are located there, the little houses. That starts every day between 3 and 4 and goes until dark. You'll likely see the instructor, Chucoh, keeping a sharp eye on his students from the boat launch pier. And you can even rent a sailboard and give it a shot yourself if you like. (I'm contemplating this but haven't guts myself up for it.

I also like walking around downtown in the evening by myself and seeing so many people out on the streets, so many friendly faces. I've never lived in another urban environment that gave me this feeling of security so I can walk alone at night.

#2 Parrot Hog

Parrot Hog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:20 AM

Good Morning Carey,
Reading and re-reading all we can about Cozumel. Enjoying most every post. Yours caught our eye as it mentioned quiet, local experiences. Staying north of downtown about 1 mile, so walks into town for sunsets, dinner and strolling the square sound lovely and very doable. We will snorkel some, go to the other side on occasion,relax and do some walkabouts in town to get a feeling of the real Coz. Even with our very limited success of learning Spanish, we are looking forward to our visit in June. Please send along any other suggestions you might have. I will look on the "dining out" section for suggestions, but I would imagine you might have one or two you prefer? Looking forward to hearing from you. ParrotHogEmail me

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:25 AM

Glad to help. You'll have fun! I like to encourage people to offer suggestions in public via these forums so that others may get the benefit of their experience and advice. Ask away and you'll get lots of good answers from vets and locals. Hate to see those kind of tips lost into private emails.

#4 Parrot Hog

Parrot Hog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:43 AM

you are right. so, any favorite places to eat and drink?

#5 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:47 AM

Besides snorkeling and eating, we too enjoy the many forms of entertainment at night on the plaza. Mayan dancers, fire dancing, a middle school drum corps, bands and singers, the guy who paints pictures with spray paint he lights on fire, Lola the police dog, watching the amazingly long line for corn chowder, all the little kids dressed in their finery on Sundays - all free! Strolling through the market place, eating a bit here and a bit there, visiting and spending time with friends, taking pictures of unusual signs (PantyBra, anyone?)

One of these times we would like to try some fishing.

Friendliest place on earth!

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:07 PM

My best rec.s are listed on the static Food and Drink section of this website. I'm the chief writer/editor.

There are very current and additional rec.'s, some of which I haven't tried yet, being discussed in the food and drink forum. Enjoy.

#7 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:49 AM

My boyfriend and I love to create sand sculptures on the east side. We go early in the day, take a few plastic containters and pack a picnic (usually stop by one of the many chicken, rib or fish places and pick up lunch to go) and take the dog with frisbee of course; usually take a tarp for shade too. Find a sandy beach (take your pick of 100s of places) and some logs washed up on shore and pitch up our tarp, spread out the picnic and get going on sculpting. Sculptures we've built are: large mermaid embellished with shore junk and seaweed; LONG crocodile stretching down the beach, a drunk girl upside down with an empty booze container in her hand; our own portraits etc.... fun stuff.. gotta try it.

#8 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles; Cozumel; Reading;

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:46 AM

Hey Artgirl, how about some pics of those sand sculptures!! LOL

#9 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:58 AM

I'll be down end of May, will post after we get a day of creating in. The drunk girl sculpture got quite a few looks I must say...the boyfriend made a very ample booty on her, I think that raised a few eyebrows... is that the picture you'd like to see Willie? HMMMMmmmmmm?

#10 ez_stop1

ez_stop1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:35 PM

Parrot Hog,
Check your private messages at the top right-hand corner of this webpage. I sent you one earlier in the week.

#11 romacent

romacent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:26 PM

I can hardly wait to get there. I'll be arriving on Monday. I did not get to take my annual trip last year to Cozumel, so I am very excited about getting there so soon. Since my job is pretty fast-paced and stressful, I look forward to relaxing and reading and being warm! I am meeting some friends whom I met a couple of years ago and it will be fun to catch up with them as well. I may bring a few movies with me too. I just bought an iPad, so I'm going to give it a good workout on this trip. I think I saw that there were many places for wifi connections around town. Does anyone know if the Coral Princess has wifi?

#12 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

Outside of the obvious (finding great new places to eat and returning to favourite eating spots as well as heading to the beach), one of my most enjoyable activities on the island is bike riding. I love taking different routes and exploring different areas and it really gives me a feeling of accomplishment when I have actually figured out the streets and arrive at my destination. It really helps in getting to know the town and just makes me feel good!

Valli

#13 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles; Cozumel; Reading;

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:41 AM

Yes it does if you set in the lobby. At least it worked for me there last year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users