Photo

Two Top Things You Would Do On The Mainland?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 John I

John I

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:22 AM

I highly recommend Coba.  It is one of the few ruins you can still climb.  At least you could in 2009.  We drove there from Tulum where we rented a car for $12 per day.  If you stay in Valladolid it's an easy drive from there too.

#22 shan7199

shan7199

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:05 PM

Well we decided to stay one night in Valladolid. We are most interested in visiting a cenote or two and will most likely rent a car (Thanks DanB) - and circle around to pass back through Tulum - either visiting those ruins or go to Coba ruins (we'll decide later which we will stop at) before heading up to PDC to catch the ferry to Cozumel. I don't want to plan things out too much, so whether we visit Ek Balam or not, will depend on how we feel once we arrive in Valladolid. I think we would prefer to just explore the nearby Cenotes, the city and other sites close-by instead. Don't want to spend all of our time driving around too much with only an overnight stay.  :-)

No whale sharks in Feb to see and sea turtles might be nice but we are going diving in Cozumel the next day so maybe will see some then anyway. Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

#23 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:11 PM

Dan...I would rent a car in Playa and drive the whole trip. Why be without transportation? It's not that expensive.

Buy your hammocks in Merida. That is where the best come from.

In Rio Lagaros I would take a boat tour of the lagoon. It's well worth it. I, personally like rio Lagartos even though there isn't much to do. If you visit at the right time you will see the flamingos although you would see more in Celestun. I have stayed there 4 or 5 times and there are only a few places to stay overnight. They are usually not crowded. I haven't been for 2 years but stay on the waterfront in a place that is above a garage. Not sure if they have a sign but it is comfortable for $250 pesos a night with a nice balcony overlooking the water. There is also a rough looking cantina across the street from the square on a corner that is really fun. Not sure if I would bring your wife. Most people I've talked to don't like the town but each to their own.

Valladolid is great. Everytime I go I find something new. Cenote Zaci is so so. I would recommend Dzitnup. The food market off the square is good but there are some better restaurants around the same area.I am trying to remember the hotel I always stay in but get confused as I have stayed at so many. I believe it was the San Clemente or the Maria Carmen. Anyway, it's on the square and there is a good restaurant across the street. It also has secure parking.

You will have a good experience and if you want can post some photos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users