Electricity Rates On Cozumel

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bonefish

bonefish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing,mountain biking,books,being in the mountains or on a beach watching a sunset

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

Back in mid July Coz2Wonder mentioned electricity bills can be very high. She said the people that are renting a place for $700.00 a month could have an electricity bill that could be that high as well. My wife and I are those people. We arrived in Cozumel Sept. 17 and are leaving Oct 17, we have been very careful with our A/C. Our neighbors in the other apartments said our apartment is on the highest rate. Does anyone know what one kilowatt hour cost at the highest rate? We have been averaging 8 kilowatts a day, according the our Smart Meter. If anyone can help that would would be great. Thank You in advance for your help.

#2 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

http://jaltembajalap...bill-and-rates/ Go to this link, they explain it very well, if in the past the people used too much then all klilowatt hours will be charged at the higher rate of 2.772 pesos per hour usage. If you can keep the usage to what it is now you will eventually get out of the DAC penalty stage. The article explains it all very well

#3 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

2013 domestic high consumption rate (DAC tarifa) is something on the order of 78 pesos base charge per month plus 3.4 to 3.5 pesos/kwh plus taxes.

#4 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

Sorry Hillbilly, that link goes to a gringo commercial site showing a bill from January 2011 in the State of Nayarit on the Pacific Coast.

Rates vary depending on the region as well as the month. Electric bills are for two months and depending on how the assorted additional charges are computed....not easily followed nor understood, but current rates and charges can be accessed through ....

http://app.cfe.gob.m...l2003&anio=2013

per kilowatt charge for DAC during October 2013 in the Yucatan Peninsula = $3.477 pesos

add to this a charge of $78.13

plus sales taxes and assorted other minor charges

If you're using about 8 kilowatt hours daily at DAC rates, 240 Kw total for 30 days, your share of the bill should be less than $1,100 pesos (less than $100 dollars)

The current rate is about what I was paying in 2000-2001 when the exchange rate was 10 to 1. We had a very hot house, we conserved, suffered and we were lucky to have consumption below 25 daily which computed to $150-$175 dollars monthly. Without conservation and suffering, our bills would have been in the $500 dollar range monthly. If you have a swimming pool, that will be additional consumption.

#5 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

Oops thanks Charles. It helped me understand at least a little bit better. We live in a single story hot house. Had all new a/c units installed, just cannot afford to use them. Actually we can afford to use them but it pisses us off the way they penalize a/c users. We use about 10 to 12 kwh per day now and try to keep it under using the a/c in the bedroom for a couple of hours only each night. We run about 1600 pesos a month with just under 800 kwh per cycle. 

It is a major pain but worth it. We have only lived here a year so far and though we are adapting well I would prefer a few more nortes.

#6 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:31 AM

A couple of years ago I had my girlfriend and her 2 grand kids down for the month of July. We ran 2 AC units 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Our electric bill for that was $8700 pesos. Not cheap.

#7 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

I was at CFE on Ave. 30 today. There is a brochure available in the customer service area (on the table next to the brown door on your right as you enter), that lists invoice totals by usage level (rounded) and by billing cycle. It includes both 1B and DAC tariffs. Amounts are before IVA (11%) and DAP (5%) are added.

Handy dandy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users