5 replies to this topic

#1 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

I'd like to get some guayaberas so I can dress up a bit for supper or the like, but have had surprisingly little success finding what I want. I've found some polyester ones that seem aimed at the uniform market, and they tend not to be in my size. I'm after all-cotton, all-linen, traditional cut and details, preferably made in Mexico. Los Cinco Soles was a bust. Any ideas where I should be looking?

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:32 AM

Take a trip to Merida.  Preferably in the winter as it gets exceeding hotsy totsy there.  But they have all that kind of stuff in the big mercado there.  That's the place to also get yourself a finely woven Panama-style hat while you're about it.

Playa used to have a couple of stores that specialized in the embroidered cotton clothing for men and women so you might walk the length of "5th Avenue" and see if you spot one of these.  Or ask on a Playa discussion forum.

You really should make a 3 or more day trip to Merida, however.  It's a wonderful place to pick up a large assortment of Yucatecan and Chiapan handicrafts.  Tony has one of those hats.  I have a bunch of the embroidered shirts.  5 beautiful patchwork quilts, several beloved carved and painted animals, carved cherubs that blow kisses at you from the wall -- all from Merida.  Just be sure you are there over a weekend as there is a lot of community participation going on then.  Very lively.

#3 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:20 PM

I was just talking about going there for a good panama....

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#4 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

We found some nice ones at Los Cinco Soles and (big surprise) at Sam's Club. Never know what they will have in stock at Sam's!

#5 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

There is a shop in Plaza del Sol, the yellow building at the back of Benito Juarez park downtown (behind the clock tower). This is difficult to describe to you, and I don't know the name of the shop, but I'll try. Standing by the clock, looking at the building, look to your right. There is a pass-through to the interior of this Plaza. On the left side of that pass-through is a shop run by Oscar. He doesn't generally have the guayabaras IN the shop, but he can get them in about 24 hours or less from his sister. They are extremely nice linen and in larger sizes. My husband wears an extra large (42 or 44) and we have purchased several from Oscar. They really are very nice.

There is also a shop out at Royal Village (across from the international pier) that sells ONLY linen. They have gorgeous guayabaras, but they cost significantly more than Oscar's. If you go to Oscar's, tell him Chuck and Kandy sent you ;)

Good luck.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#6 cozdaddy

cozdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scubadiving, underwater photography. Landscape and people photography

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

I found some really nice ones across the from Los Cinco Sols I can't remember the name other than it starts with a T, I bought two one in black and one in royal blue I always get nice comments when I wear it.

Breath in Breath out move on

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users