29 replies to this topic

#21 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

I agree and that seems to be the consensus -- leave the gun out of the equation for Cozumel living.  If you can't live with that, this isn't the place for you to think about settling.

#22 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing, college football, NFL & relaxing...

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

For the last time, I didn't say I'm bringing a gun.  I asked a very simple question(on the Moving to Coz forum, not sure why it's here):  Is it legal for me to own a hand gun in Coz?  That was my original question.  Everyone has answered very well and I completely understand everyone's feelings on the matter.  Once again, thank you all for your input.

"We live in a culture of simulation, in which nothing is what it seems and the image that reigns has no reference to the real world."  (The Art Of War, Sun Tzu)  It is what it is...  THAT never changes.

#23 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

No one is angry or upset with you for asking about this issue.  People have strong opinions is all and you just brought up the question.  Don't take it personally.

#24 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:17 PM

It is kinda of interesting.  Is a gun no good for personal protection or is it just too difficult to have one in MX?

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#25 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:17 AM

Only recently is it even plausible in theory to have a legal handgun. I wouldn't want to be among the first to navigate uncharted new legality waters. You are restricted to only three calibers, a .38 or .380 (no 38 special) or a .22 which I don't count. The majority of the home break ins are going to be unoccupied dwellings. It used to be very rare (not any longer though) of a burglary occurring when the owner was home (asleep). They are not confrontational or very rarely, the home invasion type. A situation that some people might think justified a firearm, you then might be facing a force very heavily armed with illegal weapons. The old mindless cliché comes to mind, "when guns are allowed, only outlaws will have guns". There is no shortage of illegal guns in Cozumel.

Praise! Hallelujah!

Mexico remains under a legal foundation of 19th century Napoleonic Code. Now it often depends upon whom you know or might be related to....expect to go to jail for the length of the investigation to determine if there was a criminal act much less if you are guilty of said crime. Mexico is not like Florida (or the U.S.), George Zimmerman would still be in jail awaiting the outcome of the investigation.

The vast majority of the people in the world can not understand the religious zeal that Americans attach to gun ownership. I am sure that many assume that the 2nd amendment is one of the 10 Commandments! You're within a culture and legal system where guns are near reserved exclusively for the military and/or law enforcement. You won't find the mentality of culture that one has a right to protect one's home or property with deadly force.

The people and the legal system frowns on private gun ownership and you will not have much sympathy if you used one. If you are transported to the police station for investigation after a shooting, I'd suggest not just taking your toothbrush, but take along a couple of tubes of toothpaste because you'll likely need more before you're walking around free. And then take into account the bloodlines of the victim, whether deserving or not. You could find yourself on the receiving end of a family feud on behalf of the victim. Cozumel has its specialness that you have to expect the heaviest weight of the law applied against you.

Personally, although quite comfortable with guns, I'd be scared to own one in Mexico. There are alternatives for home defense, most obviously a dog. It wouldn't hurt to have a nice stick around too. I see too many downsides that might make a gun a liability and few situations that couldn't be countered with alternative methods. And the cost, I'd be surprised if you could go through the process and not spend $3,000 to have a .380 in the house. How much you tipped "inspectors" during their regular "inspections" would be optional. Give too much and they will return more often. It would be muy macho to go by the armed gringo and inspect with regularity. Then heaven forbid you lost it, you might be facing gun trafficking charges and really be in trouble!

#26 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 05:47 AM

My only point is that for a foreigner to bring a gun into Mexico and use it is a recipe for disaster.  Look at the whimsical way car accidents are treated.  Almost always it is the "rich foreigners" fault no matter what really happened.  The reality is except in rare cases the non-local is the one who will get in trouble if any harm occurs.  Just the way it is.

So practice reasonable stuff as advised above, but leave the guns in the US.  Just for your own well being!

No doubt. You might have read the reaction by aduana when even one round of ammo is found in a tourists luggage. Major, major problem. And really who can blame the authorities with all the bullshit, negative media regarding drugs and violence in Mexico?

Cozumel Diving

#27 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

The unfortunate women who were injured in purse snatchings? I have nothing but sympathy for them.  However, I'm sure they all wish they had just let that puppy go right away instead of fighting for it. 

In my wife's case, she didn't even know a purse-snatching was in progress until after she was on the ground with a fracture. She would have happily given them the empty shopping bag they tried unsuccessfully to grab, since she makes them specifically to give away.

#28 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:17 AM

In my wife's case, she didn't even know a purse-snatching was in progress until after she was on the ground with a fracture. She would have happily given them the empty shopping bag they tried unsuccessfully to grab, since she makes them specifically to give away.

I hope I did not sound callous. It was not my intention. i was speaking in this case, about another woman, someone who has lived and owned a business here for at least 25 years who was victim of a purse snatch last year, put up a fight and was badly injured by all acounts.

#29 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

OP - we just didn't want to see you end up in jail.  Don't be upset.  We know how stubborn husbands are so worked extra hard to convince you. :)

#30 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:35 PM

Carey, I was needlessly vague in my response. I knew what you were talking about. I was really just pointing out that while it's completely nuts to fight an attacker over a handbag, one doesn't always get the option of avoiding violence. A secondary point is that criminals are, generally speaking, dumb, so common sense doesn't make a big impression on them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users