• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Warren And Judy

Warren And Judy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

Our names are warren and judy. We're moving to Cozumel in the spring from our home in Houston. We may stay in Cozumel for up to a year, but then may move to Puerto Escondido, depending on cost of living. We have traveled all over Mexico, but never have actually LIVED in Mexico. A few questions please:

1. Is a tourist visa still good for 180 days? we've heard different things on this. Would it be better to just go ahaed and apply for a perm visa?

2. Cn you live fairly well on about 2,000 a month in Coz?

3. We have two dogs we're bringing with us. Any idea on the cost to get them in?

4. Can you purchase health insurance, and if so, about how much?

Thanks in advance for any info, and advice you can give!!!

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:05 AM

Welcome to the board.

To answer your questions,

1. A tourist Visa is still good for 180 days.  If you apply for a Permanent Residence you really want to make sure you have found a home.  Other wise, when ever you change address, you have to go back to Immigration to change the information.

2.  It dependents on your definition of living well.  Our highest cost of living here is electric.  If you need A/C then your going to be paying a high price for comfort.  There are those ex-pats who live on less, but I find about 3k a month works for me.

3.  As for your pets, it depends on the size.  If they fit under the seat, that's one price, if they need to go in baggage (only fly AA) then that's another price.  Be aware, there are restrictions on when pets can fly as baggage.  So, your looking at shipping them during the fall and winter.

4.  Health insurance is certainly available.  It depends on your age, what type of insurance you can purchase.  If your 60 or below you can purchase top of the line for about $1,800 dollars per person a year.  You can also purchase with the same policy International Health insurance which runs bout $2,500 a year.

Some folks because of age, or they prefer not to pay much, go for the public health policy which is about $300 bucks a year.  But, you get what you pay for.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 Warren And Judy

Warren And Judy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

Thanks so much for your response!! We are heading down to Cozumel in November for two weeks to do some pre move research. Looking forward to being back in Cozumel!  Regarding the dogs, I was asking about any fees that are due at customs to bring them into Mexico. I know you have to have up to date papers on them, but curious about how expensive it will be.

Thanks again!

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

If you fly AA there will be no additional fees.

If you fly anything else you can get hit hard with brokers fees. 

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing, college football, NFL & relaxing...

Posted 19 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

Welcome to the board.

To answer your questions,

1. A tourist Visa is still good for 180 days.  If you apply for a Permanent Residence you really want to make sure you have found a home.  Other wise, when ever you change address, you have to go back to Immigration to change the information.

2.  It dependents on your definition of living well.  Our highest cost of living here is electric.  If you need A/C then your going to be paying a high price for comfort.  There are those ex-pats who live on less, but I find about 3k a month works for me.

3.  As for your pets, it depends on the size.  If they fit under the seat, that's one price, if they need to go in baggage (only fly AA) then that's another price.  Be aware, there are restrictions on when pets can fly as baggage.  So, your looking at shipping them during the fall and winter.

4.  Health insurance is certainly available.  It depends on your age, what type of insurance you can purchase.  If your 60 or below you can purchase top of the line for about $1,800 dollars per person a year.  You can also purchase with the same policy International Health insurance which runs bout $2,500 a year.

Some folks because of age, or they prefer not to pay much, go for the public health policy which is about $300 bucks a year.  But, you get what you pay for.

Do you know the price for people over 60?  Private, not public.  I'm getting quotes all over a huge range.  Just wondering if someone on this board has good coverage & the approx. cost.  You may answer here or PM me.

Appreciate it!

"We live in a culture of simulation, in which nothing is what it seems and the image that reigns has no reference to the real world."  (The Art Of War, Sun Tzu)  It is what it is...  THAT never changes.

#6 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing, college football, NFL & relaxing...

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

I probably should have posted that on the moving to Cozumel thread, but don't know how to "quote" to another topic.  I guess I could copy/paste the entire quote & started a new topic over there.  Please don't yell at me, I'm still learning the nuances of this site.  I'll try the copy/past later as new topic on the other thread.

"We live in a culture of simulation, in which nothing is what it seems and the image that reigns has no reference to the real world."  (The Art Of War, Sun Tzu)  It is what it is...  THAT never changes.

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:15 PM

You need to check with an expert what is available to you for all of your insurance needs (health, home and auto (not foreign plated vehicles).

Your options will decrease based on your age.  I have AXA, which is the best insurance, but it is not available to those 60 and over.  We purchased the insurance prior to turning 60.

Prior to purchasing I went to the local clinics (that take insurance) and CMC hospital, and asked their accounting department which health insurance was the best, and easiest to work with.  They all said AXA.

I trust my agent, and would certainty have a sit down when you are here.

Irma Cantarell 

irma@seguroscantarell.com

Ask as many questions as you need, and if the monitor(s) what to move the topics around, it's easy to do.

Anonymous

#8 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:10 AM

Welcome Warren & Judy.

Coz2wonder gave us this same wonderful advice and we met with Irma on our last visit in January 2012.  She was willing to put us in the computer to see our rates even though we are not moving to Cozumel until 2013.  It was so acceptable (we are 57 & 58) that it was the piece we needed to make our final decision to retire there full time.

We will have our last trip Nov 9-16 as tourists and then we arrive on Sat Jan 25th to start our new life.

Welcome to this board.  You will get great advice from everyone

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users