• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

Picked up a friend today at the airport who brought in their basset hound.

The process took about 1.5 hours to complete by the agriculture department.

The paperwork should   be in both English and the Spanish.  Spanish should be the first language, then English.  It would also help to have it is bigger letters, and perhaps even in bold type for the Spanish version.

They really read through all the documents, so make sure you don't miss any of the mandatory medications/treatments that your pet needs to enter the country.  They are entering all this into a computer, along with the owners passport, residents, and phone number.

They checked the ears, nose, and took the temperature of the pet.  The hound was NOT impressed.

They where nice enough to let the dog go outside to pee prior to being poked, and handled.  Smart on their part.

The big change is NO BEDDING IN THE KENNEL.  It will be confiscated, and you will not get it back.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

1.5 hours is way long for an in cabin pet.  I've brought in 3 directly off the plane into the customs area and it takes perhaps 30 minutes if that with the proper papers.  I guess the hound came in in the belly of the plane and that added time to the total?  And was there anything else besides just taking the dog to the office right there for the paperwork?

I never get the vet exam either although I have had the bed sprayed.  I guess I'll take out the mattress and stuff it in my suitcase before I bring Brucie through in 2 weeks just to be on the safe side.

#3 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:44 PM

Repeating what I just posted on Facebook after Paula posted this same story.

We just booked our flight to move to Cozumel for Jan 25th. We are coming in with 2 dogs as carry-on on the direct Air Canada flight at 9pm. We are flying first class and hope there is someone there at that time of night to make this process fast. Paula: Any chance of getting a copy of the paperwork they used so we can be sure to get everything correct?

I had read somewhere before that no bedding was allowed.  I didn't think this could even be done in the luggage.  Hmm now I wonder if we should try.

The other thing I read is only dog food enough for one day was allowed in.  Huh?  Dogs need at least of week of transitioning to a new type of dog food.  IS this true.  I want to bring a brand new bag of their food (sealed of course).  Can I put this is checked luggage?

Thanks

Betty

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#4 jsmflake

jsmflake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel
    Travel
    Gardening
    Reading

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

Paula, glad to hear that Cesar arrived safely ,and I'm sure he was quite indifferent as to all the pokeing and prodding. :D

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:24 AM

Betty. I would contact Andrea Sekula from the HS in regards to the letter, that seems to be working well. You had asked about bringing your own pet food in to transition your dogs to the food available here, and if that will get though customs, I think Andrea is in a position to answer that question much better then I am.

Cesar is a champ.  He could have cared less.  

Carey has a letter that she has used for quite a while, and my friends used that same letter, which was NOT the problem.

However, I would arrange it differently by putting the Spanish version first, then English under that.

@Carey, yes Cesar came in as baggage.  But from what I am reading, this inspection is also going on with on-board pets as well.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:08 AM

I will find my letter that I use and post it here in the next week or so.  I'm visiting family in the states at the mo' so not on the computer as much right now.

Remind me if I don't post it.  Works great.

As to getting in at 9 PM at night, would that be to Cancun or Cozumel?  Didn't think there were any night flights into Cozumel but things change, of course.

The airline is supposed to have it on their manifest that there are pets coming in and this alerts the local plant and animal inspection office.  But if no one is there just tell the first official person you see roaming around that you have mascotas and point at the door of the office.  You might have to wait a little bit but as long as a plane is scheduled in, they should be on duty and especially so if they've been alerted in advance.

Cancun may have slightly different ways of interpreting the rules.  But it IS the law in Mexico that you do not need a certified import form from the USDA or the Canadian equivalent.  Letterhead stationary from the vet with the vet license number and a close to travel date.  In English and  Spanish attesting to the pet's health and specifically mentioning when rabies, heartworm and frontline meds EXPIRE -- not just when they were administered.

Rabies must be within a year for entry into Mexico.

They may or may not let your bring an unopened bag of dog food in.  Depends on if they see it and how they feel like interpreting the law that day if they do.  It's a real cr*p shoot on that kind of stuff.  Sometimes my sealed bags of jerky treats make it in and sometimes they git 'em.  So best make alternate plans in case you are unlucky on that front.

#7 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

Thanks Paula.  I will contact Andrea.  I like the idea of putting Spanish first in a bigger bold font.

Thanks Carey.  I will look at your letter and the HS form to see what looks best.  Our Saturday night flight is the regular Air Canada weekly direct flight from Toronto to Cozumel.  Runs seasonally from Nov 1-Apr 28.  It misses the crazy crowd in the afternoon but I was wondering if someone would be on site or not to check through the dogs.  

Should I assume the dog crates do not go through the x-ray?  Or do you take the dogs out and run the bags through?  Or do they manually check everything meaning you get a red light no matter what.

Maybe I will buy a smaller bag or two and out them in my checked luggage or maybe even in our dive bags for our November trip.They won't be looking for dog food then.  LOL

Thanks ladies

Betty

Betty

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

They won't put the dog through the x-ray.  

They may have you put the carrier through, but they prefer (at least yesterday) that once the animal has cleaned the inspection, you put it back in it's carrier and either carry it thought, or they may sit them aside until you do the red/green light (which means absolutely nothing) then just pick up the pooches and off you go.

They were very good with Cesar yesterday, no rough handling, and they seemed amused at his appearance...long ears, short legs, long body.

Anonymous

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

I have a copy of the letter Carey uses:

I WOULD ADD BREED OF DOG...THEY ASKED YESTERDAY.

Top of the page letterhead of the vet.

Date: couple days at most before arrival time

At the bottom the vet should include their DVM #

In between, here is what to put.

Name of dog:
Microchip# if you have one
male/macho
color:
D.O.B.
Owner:
Address:

To Whome It May Concern/  A quien Pueda Interesa

Burce has been examined by me and found to be in good health to travel (Put the English lines in bold). Bruce ha sido examinada por mi (accent over’ i”) y ha sido encontrado ser en buena salud para viajar.

Rabies (Merial Ser #13333) Vaccination was administered on September 03, 2013 and expires on September 03, 2014.  (La vacunacion para la rabia (Merial #13333) fueron administrada el 3 de septiembre 2013 y expiraran (accent over last a) el 3 de septiembre 2014.

The dog is free of parasites and both frontline and heartgard were administered on Nov 1 2013 and will expire on Dec 1, 2013.  El perro es gratis de parasitos y ambos frontline y heartgard fueron administrados el 1 de noviembre de 2013 y expiraran el 8 de noviembre 2013.

Signed by vet and with his name and license number printed underneath.

Anonymous

#10 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

Going through US security one removes the dogs from the carriers.  Carriers go through solo.  You carry the dogs so you don't go through that new fangled 'chine everyone hates.  However, any passenger carrying a pet gets pulled aside and they dust your hands and arms.  I guess that's for plasticine or gun powder  Who knows.  But it ALWAYS happens at security check in in the US at least.

Cozumel I have never been ask to put the carriers on the xray belt because I already have the papers from the animal control office.  If they want you to take them out, they'll tell you, believa me.  So just play it by ear on that.  And, obviously, don't put the dogs through the xray machine.  (TSA people tell me that some people have actually done this.  Talk about not the sharpest knife in the drawer!)

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

Carey, you letter work fine.  But, it would be easier for the inspectors if Spanish was first, then English.

This is the first time I have seen such an inspection, but it is, what it is.

I wish I had known about no bedding for animals prior, it would have saved my friends about 80usd's to buy a new one.

From what I am reading, this knowledge was known, but just not shared.

Anonymous

#12 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

I've never had a bed taken away but last I brought dogs into the country was in November of 2013.  I'm coming back with my little Bruster in a couple of weeks, however.  So thanks for the tip.  I will simply take his bed out of the carrier and stuff it in my rolling carry on.  If you have two people, one can take the beds awy and stuff them in your suitcases while the other deals with the dog papers.

If I had a big dog bed, I'd bring along a big garbage bag to stuff it into while I was waiting in the immigration line.  There is no law saying bedding isn't allowed in I'm fairly sure.  They have just decided to do that.  For awhile.  It's always changing.  Sometimes they make me take the dogs out while they spray the inside of the carry kennels.  Sometimes they don't.  This is yet a new surprise so thanks for the heads up.

By the way, for Cozumel residents like me who want to take a pet back to the states, I went to the airport to find out how long a health letter from a local vet would be honored.  Took them awhile but they got the head cheese on the phone and he confirmed 3 months -- if you have a Mexican dog leaving the country and coming back within 3 months, the same letter from the Mexican vet is good going both ways.

On the other hand, you have to watch out for the airlines.  I do know that American allows a pet to travel on the original health letter for the return flight PROVIDED it's on the same itinerary.  In other words, if you happened to book two one ways for some reason, you couldn't use the health letter from your original flight for your return.

#13 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:08 AM

We've brought our rescue pooch to Cozumel three times this year.

We have the Vet letter in English with Spanish sub-titles as described by Cary some time ago. We also bring the US Dept of Ag vet letter. It's just as easy to have the Vet sign that at the same time. We give the vet letter to staff on a memory stick and they put it on their letterhead. The USDA letter is a bit different at the vet needs to be USDA certified. Not all vets are.

When entering Cozumel or Cancun, the customs people seem to gravitate to the USDA form as it looks more "official" than the vet letter with pups and warm fuzzy kittens in their logo. We've never had an issue and it has taken about 20-30 minutes for them to fill the forms out. But we do carry both forms. Why our Marimba is not in the system is beyond me, as they re-enter the data each time. Our experience with the quickie exam has also been the same.

She's on a special diet and we have never been asked about the food.

Coming back into CLT is easy except for the "pet treat Nazi" customs person. We give Marimba very small Milk bones as rewards for getting in her crate, etc. We carry a couple on the plane in case we need a little distraction for her. Customs has confiscated our 3-4 milk bones and she calls them "junk" and berates us for giving them to her. She always threatens to take the dog food, but doesn't as she likes the brand of dog food we use. After our 2-3 minute lecture, she lets us on our way.

BTW...as a shameless plug, our pooch is in a "beauty contest" with a local furniture company.  There three cash prizes.  If we win, we plan to donate the winnings to the Cozumel Humane Society.  Give little Marimba a vote at this link.  There's nothing to sign up for or like and takes about 5 seconds max.

http://wtvr.upickem....&s=45237675&i=1

or

http://www.facebook....&s=45237675&i=1

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#14 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:35 AM

Thanks everyone. 

Paula:. I will use this as a starting point. 

I will also try bring at least one bed (we have about 5 throughout the house) in the checked baggage.  One suitcase is for the dog's things so I will include a new bag of dog food.  

We also ALWAYS have poop bags and dog treats know our pockets.  I was going to bring lots as we will be in transit about 7-8 hrs total.

We are flying first class so we hope that is easier as there is more room for everyone.

Betty

Betty

#15 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:52 AM

If you want to go the USDA form route, you must check to be sure your vet is not just downloading the form from the internet and filling it out.  It needs to have an official folio number in the upper right hand corner.  Like a prescription -- it's official and those forms come printed directly from the USDA and to vets only.  And it's supposed to be signed both by the vet AND by someone at the USDA.

I was told two years ago by a vets office in SF that I would need to have this USDA form AND I would need to take it to the USDA office at the airport to get it cross signed there as well.  I kind of knew this was BS but I called the office anyway to see what they said.  They were very  adamant in telling me they would not sign any such form should I bring it out to them because it was in no way needed for travel to Mexico and I just needed the vet letter.

If you look at the web site for Mexican animal control, you will see the same thing.  Letter from your vet is enough.

So I stopped carrying around that form a few years back and after I almost didn't make it in because the Coz animal people pointed out to me about how my form had no folio number and gave me a really hard time.  So when I got home I looked it up on the internet and found out I could print the same form myself -- minus the folio number -- and this is what some vets are doing.

So just be aware of that if you decide its easier to go the form route.  Those forms are harder for them to read, however, as the print is so small AND they are in English.  I usually get through animal control with my letter with Spanish translation in around 15 minutes provided I don't have to wait for someone to appear.

I like the idea of putting the vet letter on a pen drive.

#16 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:42 AM

Our USDA form was imply downloaded from the internet and no one raised any issues.

"We got rules and we chose to ignore or create them as we desire".  Oh wait, that's the US government.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#17 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

It completely depends on who you get at the airport.  Both my daughter and I were badly scolded for using forms with no folio number in the upper right hand corner.  We were told on seperate occasions that they would let us in this time but don't do it again.  Same guy both times.  But they switch them around ALLLL the time so you have to be ready for anything.

#18 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

I was happy to vote for marimba.  Loved that cute picture!

#19 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:13 AM

I won't have a form as we are not American and not flying through the USA.

Our soft crates have a soft mat velcro'd to the bottom.  Will they take those?  I plan to wrap them in medical absorbent sheets I got from the doctor just in case they pee.

Betty

Betty

#20 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:40 AM

I won't have a form as we are not American and not flying through the USA.

Our soft crates have a soft mat velcro'd to the bottom.  Will they take those?  I plan to wrap them in medical absorbent sheets I got from the doctor just in case they pee.

Betty

Make sure you point out (via the velcro) that the bottom is part of the structure.

Cozumel Diving

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users