Living on Cozumel

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sanddiver

sanddiver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, cooking, hiking, learning new things, meeting new people, adventure, loving my partner.

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:13 AM

I everyone, I am moving to Cozumel Dec. 3rd, and my wife is joining me on Jan. 1st.  We are Neil and Rita, and are really excited about finally moving down.  I bought a house in 2007 and have it remodeled and ready to go.  I have diabetes and have to take a shot of Insulin every day, does anyone know if Lantus is available on the Island?  If it is available in pens, that would be perfect.  I am sure something is available, but Lantus is what I am using.  I will bring down enough for about 2 mos.

I also need to get cable and internet. Anyone know someone good to use and how to get in touch with them?  I think I just want Cablemas to get started.

And finally, the all important bed - I have been in touch with Luh - is there anyone else I should try?

I am so looking forward to being in Cozumel, I have been going there from 1987, and owned a timeshare at the old Plaza Las Glorias for 10 years.  Since then, I have come often for about a month at a time.  This time I plan to stay 6 mos. to see how I like it.  I am retiring Nov. 15th - so I want to try out my favorite place in the world!

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

I would definitely go with Luh's new line of mattresses unless you don't mind real hard beds because she's the only one that imports the good memory foam and latex variations.  Be prepared to pay significantly because there is a protective tariff imposed on this type of import.  But it is soooo worth it if you are picky about your mattresses as I am.

You only have two choices for internet -- cablemas and telmex.  They install for you in either case.  Cablemas is cheaper and faster and you can add on tv packages to your monthly bill.  They are real slow about showing up for installation and service, however.  Had a friend last month who waited 3 weeks before they made it and they don't come when they say they're going to.  If you can stand to wait, I'd go with cablemas.

Telmex is more expensive and doesn't offer the speeds cablemas does.  However, they fix problems fast and have a toll free number with English speaking support.

If you can, find out what some of your neighbors are using because, depending on the area, the telmex dsl or cablemas cable lines may be overloaded with nearby subscribers.  So speed all depends on where you are located and the status of users within your range.

Sorry I can't help your re the diabetes med but prolly someone else will chime in pretty soon with that info.  I'd check the farmacia for you but am off island for another week at the mo'.

#3 sanddiver

sanddiver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, cooking, hiking, learning new things, meeting new people, adventure, loving my partner.

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

Thank you so much for the info, From reading the posts, I kind of got that Luh was the person to deal with for the Mattress.  I give thanks for this forum, I get so much information from it! I had no idea that Cablemas took so long to get installed - I'll have to find an internet Cafe near me to communicate with my friends in the States until I get set up. Thanks Again!

#4 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

We purchased some stuff from Luh and a bed and living room set from Muebleria Cozumel. They are on 15 ave north between 4 and  6. They look like a small appliance store with most of the stuff upstairs. We purchased a sealy posturepedic (spelling) queen size bed there with pillow top that has been great. Came in on a four day trip doing the same thing that you are doing and went by the first day we got here, picked out the bed and they got it to us that night. Otherwise we would have been on the floor or over at a friends house.

Our couch, chair and love seat they also delivered and it is quite comfortable. Kind of an overstuffed but not rustico stuff at least.

There are plenty of Diabetics here so I doubt meds are a problem but not using them yet myself. English speaking Doctor who may be able to tell you is Dr. Fernando Senties Nieto at www.doctorchey.com. We use him for everything, he has his own office and also works at the chamber at San Miguel clinic.

Good luck on the move

#5 sanddiver

sanddiver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

Thank you for the info.  I will check out Dr. Fernando Senties Nieto when I get to Cozumel, it's good to have the name of an English speaking Doc.  And being a guy who looks for deals, it is good to have Muebeleria Cozumel as well.  Not that I expect to get a deal - just nice to have two places to look!

#6 Ali

Ali

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

#7 sanddiver

sanddiver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:03 PM

Thanks - good to know.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users