• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:08 PM

#2 sanddiver

sanddiver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, cooking, hiking, learning new things, meeting new people, adventure, loving my partner.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

I like the Money Bar (Playa Azul).  There is good snorkeling, and a nice beach.  They will expect you to pay for a round of drinks, or snacks to use their tables, but their expectations are reasonable for a nice day at the beach.  Not like paying a fee such as Paradise Beach.  I think you can also go to Caleta for free, but I prefer paying for a few drinks and enjoying the Money Bar.  Have fun!!!

#3 Eileen

Eileen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

If you have access to a car, drive over to the other side of the island. Park anywhere (safely!) on the old road and roam the nearly deserted beaches. There are a couple of bars and restaurants on the other side as well, but there are vast stretches of beach with nothing but sand and sun for your enjoyment.

#4 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:04 PM

When I go down with kids I spent a few days during the week at the Hotel Playa Azul up north. They have a pool and good beach access. All you need to do is buy a few drinks from the outdoor bar. On Sundays I would take the kids to Paradise Beach. There is no charge but you do need to buy a few drinks.

#5 Ali

Ali

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:08 PM

#6 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:32 PM

Money Bar is not a good place for a two year old...you would definately be better off at PA in the north or Chen Rio on the east side where there is sandy beach area and calm water.

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:10 PM

as your heading south of town, where the local take their wee ones is a little beach area next to the car ferry pier.

There are two low cost restaurants there.

Check in Chedrui's for a little float suit for your child.  They are the same material as shorty wet suit, but have floats built into the arms, and legs.  It also will protect him/her from the sun.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#8 Ali

Ali

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:46 PM

#9 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

Paula would never suggest this, but I do... get the babysitter to watch the kiddo and head to the bar with the margs in the little clay pots! Mezcalitos!  Their grilled "mero" (grouper) is YUM. 

Edit: @Paula - expect to see us August 2014 - we're already planning a stay @ Stephanies condo

“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#10 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:31 AM

There are two public beaches in or near downtown.  South is La Caletita Paula mentioned which is a short taxi ride or about a quarter mile walk from the south edge of downtwon.  Full of locals.  Very small, narrow beach but does have good sand entry.  Do not leave anything you care about back on the sand while you are swimming, however.  Nada. Odds are very good it will be gone when you get out unless you're eyeballing it the whole time.

The other beach is called Las Casitas.  It is at the north end of downtown two blocks above Airport Blvd.  This is a longer stretch of beach but you have to pick your entry place carefully as there are lots of low outcroppings.  Watch where other people are entering the water.  On Sundays this place can get mobbed with food trucks and people .  During the week it is much quieter.  Every afternoon late you'll see kids practicing their wind surfing skills at the south end of the stretch -- at a palapa covered structure that's next to the boat put in.   

Both places have banos but they are likely not going to be very clean so bear that in mind.

East side of the island has strong and unpredictable currents.  Chen Rio is where most people take their families with small children as it has a protected little cove in which the little ones can play.  Do not take a two year old out waist deep in the open ocean would be my advice, however.  And even if you are only playing in the froth on the edge of the water there, hang onto that child's hand.  It's beautiful over there but can be quite treacherous.  And there is virtually no shade whatsoever.

After you've gone to a couple of public beaches you may see why it's worth it to pay to park yourself somewhere that has clean bathrooms and tables and chairs in the shade.

Don't know what Chankannab Park is charging these days but I will tell you that this is a totally stellar place to take a little one for an entire day.  Great little sheltered place where they can play in the water with no fears to you.  And a really nice little hand built playground right at the water's edge.  Get there early and grab a palapa and chairs as near to this area as possible and I'd say it's def worth the price of admission.  You are not required to purchase anything once you're inside the park.  

#11 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:01 AM

East side of the island has strong and unpredictable currents.  Chen Rio is where most people take their families with small children as it has a protected little cove in which the little ones can play.  Do not take a two year old out waist deep in the open ocean would be my advice, however.  And even if you are only playing in the froth on the edge of the water there, hang onto that child's hand.  It's beautiful over there but can be quite treacherous. 

Don't know what Chankannab Park is charging these days...

Amen to your east side recs...  Chankannab is $$$ - $21 adults and $14 kids.  They think they're in Cancun  LOL

“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#12 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:27 PM

Glad that Carey piped up about the currents on the East Side. Yes, the beaches are nice, but I would NOT take children over there, even teenagers that are strong swimmers. There have been cases of drownings on the East Side that involved adults that were strong swimmers. You just cannot fight the undertow. Chen Rio is somewhat protected, and I like the restaurant, but even there I would be very careful about letting kids play in the water. Chankanaab is nice, and I used to go there pretty regularly on trips to Cozumel, but I quit going about 4 years ago, as they just kept raising prices (and required a flotation vest for all snorkelers - as if there is any danger of me sinking in salt water!). Best bet is probably the Money Bar. There is also a Resort up in the North Hotel Zone that has a nice beach area - I can't recall the name right now - but I believe that it's pretty much the same deal as the Money Bar, buy a round of drinks and use the beach chairs.

#13 julied

julied

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

We like Corona Beach in the south.  They have nice tables, hamocks and donot charge admission.  They do expect you to buy a couple of drinks.  Entry to the water is doable for a little one.  We enjoy it there very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users