2 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

Found a crockpot beef stew recipe that looks good but she insists that meat tenderizer applied to the chuck roast the night before is really necessary.  I guess I could just cook it longer until it is more tender but then of course the meat has no flavor on its own.  So has anyone seen meat tenderizer powder around?  I'd like to give this a shot if its available.

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:43 AM

In Chedrui's they have Mrs. Dash.  That might work as a flavoring, and tenderizer.

You can also pound the beef to break down the fibers in the meat.

A natural tenderizer would be fruit, such as lemons, pineapple, mango's as an example.  Watch the mango through, it can over process the meat.

I usually marinate beef in balsamic vinagre, and olive oil, put it in a zip lock bag and put it in the frig or a day or so.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 sanddiver

sanddiver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, cooking, hiking, learning new things, meeting new people, adventure, loving my partner.

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:40 PM

As a former chef for 25 years, and a consultant for the last 13 years, I look at the components of a product.  Bromelain and salt are the components of most Meat Tenderizers.  Bromelain is an extract of Pineapple so a little pineapple juice and salt should do the trick.  If you try it let me know how it turns out!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users