25 replies to this topic

#1 mexpat10350

mexpat10350

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, boating, fine arts,

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

I've been looking at long term car rental rates (4 months total)  . I looked at American car rentals in Playa del Carmen and their cheapest rate is $466.27/ month with collision ($40,000 and 0 deductible).  The cheapest rate that I can find on the island is $1080.66 / month (Same collision coverage ....0 deductible) . My question is.... can I rent a car in Playa Del Carmen and use it in Cozumel for four months?   Does the car rental allow this? Has anyone done this?  How much would it cost to bring a small car across on the ferry. I have emailed Isis and Less Pay but haven't gotten a quote yet.

Thanks for any advise on this subject.

#2 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:28 AM

Sorry, I find it almost impossible to believe you could rent a car in Playa for $466 per month.  Don't believe that all needed insurance is included at that price. It is not difficult to make reservations for even cheaper than that, but somehow it just doesn't work out. Normal cheap car rental rates for "beater cars" from Less Pay or Isis will run about $200 per week. It's likely you could get some discount for a monthly rental rate and more so for an extended period. Will the four month period be during "high season"?

You could probably bring a car to the island, but it is unlikely you would really want to. Renting a beater car or even a non-beater, Whether it be a flat tire, a dead battery, expect something to happen. No mainland company will come to your rescue or assist in resolving any problems. Occasionally someone will make a post of a super cheap rental, most often booked online ($75 a week, $9 dollars a day!) from someone who mistakenly believes that they have insurance coverage through their credit cards or other means as they might inside the United States. They are risking a major, life changing event. If you find yourself at the police station after an accident, you want to have a local car rental agency representative or insurance agent present.

Just curious, where will you be staying? You think you need to have a car during your entire stay? My opinion would be to see what rate either Less Pay or Isis might offer. Fifteen years ago, I did have a deal with Less Pay by the month including a factura so it was a deductible business expense. It wasn't close to your stated "American" price. I doubt John could match my price today. My guess you will get the best price/value from Less Pay or Isis. It is what it is and this will be the price of a ticket to do as you wish. Be very careful with any prices that fall into the too good to be true category.

#3 Freezin' Canuck

Freezin' Canuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:52 AM

Charles is right. Booked car on line--pretty good deal or so I thought! Needed it to haul items home from downtown on Melgar, 5th,o 15th to our place on 70th. When I got to the airport to pick it up asked if I wanted the insurance. The added price was jaw dropping. Went straight down to John (Less Pay) got a beater with insurance for precisely the time I needed (a week for the errands; another week to pick up friends at the airport and treks to the other side of the island and excursions) Rented another car (with insurance) on the other side when we wanted to pick up friends at Cancun and/or take them to Koba or Tuluum. Otherwise found it healthy to walk or take a taxi (they are everywhere)for around 300 pesos (if you're local)from downtown if we had lots of packages or for socializing. There's also an inexpensive bus system. So far haven't needed a car full time and don't miss the stress of driving, parking and potential vandalism. Your circumstances may be completely different, but for me, part of a good life is not spending it in a car evoking distant memories of road rage.

#4 mexpat10350

mexpat10350

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:42 AM

Thanks for all the info.  I will be renting in the southern part of the city.  Calle Akumal. I've looked at maps and even went on google earth to travel around the city digitally. I still can't get a feel for distances. Wife and I are pretty efficient walkers ( walk 2 to 3 miles /day)  Want to check out several properties that are for sale and want to check out several neighborhoods. Do you think this can be done on foot?  How expensive would it be to taxi to the "wild side"? 

#5 TheOptimist

TheOptimist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:50 AM

We just returned from a week in Cozumel and as always, rented our car from Margarita at Isis on Ave 5 just north of the square. We rented a newer VW, 4 door coupe, without air for $35 per day - all insurances included -  from Sunday to Friday. $175 for 5 days. It looks like Isis has obtained some newer vehicles and ours was in excellent condition.  

I would suggest that you talk with her and select the dates that you really will NEED a car and rent it as needed for 3 - 5 days at a time. that way on the days you don't need a car you are not paying for it. If you did 5 days per week that is only $700 per month.

You can find info on Rentadora ISIS Car Rental in several places on this site.

Mike

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

You are better off staying in town if you're staying for long periods or unless you're real well-heeled.  The Corpus Christi neighborhood is as far south as I would advise going without a car.  The two biggest grocery stores straddle the neighborhood between downtown and the close in Corpus Christi neighborhood so you can walk over empty handed and there will be plenty of taxis waiting to bring you and your groceries home.  Stay outside town particularly in the south and you are looking at minimum $20 US each way taxi fare every time you want to go to the grocery, let alone go out to eat.  And the further south you go, the worse the fares get.

If you rent a car -- and the advice you're getting is excellent -- you don't need collision insurance really.  What you MUST have if you don't want to spend 24 hours or more in the slammer in the case of an accident involving bodily injury -- LIABILITY insurance.  This is essential.  Sure you'd be out the bucks in a crash without collison.  But without liability, you will go immediately to the police station where you will sit for a real long time while anyone you might have injured or who SAYS you injured them goes to the hospital, gets the report.  Then they come back and you have to pony up the CASH for their expenses.  If you don't have cash, you stay in the jail.  Which may now have a roof over the entire general holding pen. Although I wouldn't make book on that.

Got the picture?  Isis and LessPay will cover you and stand behind you in the event of a problem.  I have no idea what would happen with other companies unless you buy the hideously expensive liability add-on.

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:40 PM

Liability insurance is mandatory with any rental.  You want ZERO deductible added to the cost of the rental.

Even with that, somebody steals your battery, or your back seat (which does happen), your zero deductible will not pay for that, it out of pocket.

I have been renting from Less Pay for years.  I am currently renting long term (so far 5 months) beater, until we decide what we want to purchase.

You did not state what months your coming down, but if it's in high season, long term may be more difficult to find.  Reason being, they make more money on day rentals, then they do long term.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#8 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

I will be renting in the southern part of the city.  Calle Akumal. I've looked at maps and even went on google earth to travel around the city digitally. I still can't get a feel for distances. Wife and I are pretty efficient walkers ( walk 2 to 3 miles /day)  Want to check out several properties that are for sale and want to check out several neighborhoods. Do you think this can be done on foot?  How expensive would it be to taxi to the "wild side"? 

I lived on calle Akumal in Colonos Cuzamil for six months. It's very easy to call for a taxi to be sent to your house (with minimal Spanish). Mega would be about one mile (my guess less), but for me, very comfortable walking distance. I'd walk round trip or if buying lots of groceries, take a taxi home. I felt OK walking through Corpus Christi, but I'd advise sticking to the main streets like 20th going past the church and I would suggest walking on 30th, especially after dark. Akumal is convenient as it is an old style mixed neighbourhood. There is a good laundry on the corner with 30th. I bought fruit across from CONALEP and often bought vegetables at a place south on 30th before you get to CFE offices. There are tiendas close for minor groceries and a chicken roaster on 30th. It isn't the best area to utilize colectivo or bus service. You'd need to go to Chedraui first for travel throughout San Miguel via public transportation. There is/was one old, very old bus (it was the only near derelict bus in service) that goes to Huertas hourly whose route to the colonia uses Akumal. I never had occasion to use it.

I found living in the area to be a comfortable existence. Just how do you plan to spend your days? If you have special wants or needs, rent a car for a day or a week. If you want to go to beach clubs or the other side of the island (I rarely go to any of these places) then a rental car would be far more economical than taxis. For what I'd consider normal living, most days the cost of taxis wouldn't equal the best daily rental rate.

If you want to check out other colonias for the possibility of buying, make sure you include some explorations after good heavy rains. It helps too to compare day and night differences as well as check on special event festivities that may be a nuisance living in close proximity. One example, I could hear Moby Dick's quite clearly from 20th and Akumal, I wouldn't want to live too much closer than the 12 blocks away.

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:46 PM

I just read a post about a women who rented in high season from ISIS (the tourist rental of choice) and she paid $930 bucks for a month...THAT'S NUTS.

But, that is an example of following the herd, and not your head.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#10 mexpat10350

mexpat10350

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

Thanks for all your advice..   I think that renting a car on a "as needed" basis is sage advice. I will be there in high season......(Dec 1 until Mar 31.)  so I guess I will be paying premium rates.   I'm sure the experience  will be well worth the cost . I've  read all your comments and many comments in other places about the necessity for liability insurance....wouldn't even consider driving in Mexico without it.  

In answer to your question (Charles) as to how we plan to spend our days....... I want to experience whatever I can relating to living on Cozumel.  Lots of local eating, concerts, local artist exhibits (Susan and I are both retiring artists), some snorkeling, beaching ,maybe some salsa lessons, maybe some tai chi, a lot of walking, checking out the neighborhoods and looking at real estate..  We are bringing our dog "Sadie".  Hope to meet other dog owners on our walks.

Thanks again for your advice.

#11 Skibum

Skibum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:46 PM

Avoid Payless, they have cr*p cars and do not honor promises. John is out of the country, Ester lies, and the idiot running the show is, well, an idiot.

RUN.

#12 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

As usual this topic starts a virtual food fight.  Everybody has there favorite.  Actually it is Less Pay not payless and I wouldn't rent anyplace else.  In the 16 years we have been visiting cozumel we have rented from john.  I've been in the office and seen him do things for customers that other places wouldn't even consider.  As far as vehicles you can get a well worn Geo tracker like we always get or a nicer air conditioned sedan.  Last year when the rain set in for a couple of days we just ran the tracker up and exchange it for a sedan.  I;m pretty sure they have a loyal enough customer base that they won't miss skibum.   Anyway, enjoy Cozumel regardless of who you rent from.

#13 Skibum

Skibum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:32 PM

You are right, Less Pay. John is out of the country. Ester has "friends in" and can't be bothered. We rented from them for years. Without John, they suck. Period. Promises promises, ZERO delivery. Avoid.

Nice you get here from time to time, Ronald. Maybe try living here...?

#14 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:09 AM

You are right, Less Pay. John is out of the country. Ester has "friends in" and can't be bothered. We rented from them for years. Without John, they suck. Period. Promises promises, ZERO delivery. Avoid.

Nice you get here from time to time, Ronald. Maybe try living here...

Cozumel Diving

#15 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:02 AM

Everybody has a favorite service provider, which is fine.

Support whom you like, but don't do it at the expense of their competitor.

Just an FYI, I am currently renting long term from Less-Pay. It had everything to do with price.

I do not care about their personal business, I don't need a "warm fuzzy feeling", I am there to rent a vehicle...PERIOD.

Anonymous

#16 Skibum

Skibum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:40 AM

Yup, avoiding drama would be nice! Happy with our rental now - a/c! What a treat!

#17 Maroma man

Maroma man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

I feel a little over my head on some of this stuff.  What is a good price for a 4 door, automatic w/air for one week?  What insurance do i choose to have 0  deductible?

#18 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:18 PM

I'm a little concerned about people talking about 'zero deductible'.  My understanding is that there are two parts of the insurance.  1 is liability and you can get a true zero deductible for that (except possibly for that new law that makes you reponsible for medical costs and lost wages of anyone who is hurt in the accident - I'm still not sure I understand that aspect of the insurance.  All I know is that Margarita at ISIS has told me that neither she nor anyone else she is aware of on the island offer any coverage for that).  The second part is 'collision/damage' and the best you can get in cozumel is a 10% copay deductible (meaning that if there is damage to the car you have to pay up to 10% of the car's value to fix the damage.  Luckily I've never had to make use of either (though I get both coverages when I rent from ISIS.  From the ISIS webpage, it looks like 55/day is the lowest price for an automatic.  (The last trip we did a month ago we got a manual, no A/C for 35/day - but there was also no power steering and my wife couldn't drive the car since she couldn't turn the wheel.  The page on 'islacozumel.net' for LessPay shows some automatics for 30/day and up.  They say this includes 'liability insurance' but they do not specifically mention collision insurance or taxes.  Some people have been recommending Bonefish car rental but they do not appear to have a website available so I'm not sure what their deals are.  

Car rental shops in Playa and Cancun DO seem to have true zero deductible on the liability AND zero deductible on the collision/damage parts of the insurance.  Margarita at ISIS has assured me a couple different times that such coverage is NOT available on cozumel.  If anyone has a different understanding, I'd like to hear about it.  Particularly, I'd like to hear from someone who had an accident where both people/property and the rental car were damaged, and they walked away from the accident without paying anything.

#19 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:43 PM

My limited grasp of the insurance available on the island is that it follows what DanB says. I'm not at all certain that things are really different on the mainland.

#20 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:32 AM

I'd be cautious about renting on the mainland and bringing the car across to Cozumel. I know for a fact that my insurance is good only as long as the car is on the island. If I go across, I am not covered. Now, maybe that's an issue with my own policy, I don't know. Just check things out thoroughly if you decide to rent from the mainland.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users