25 replies to this topic

#21 Hooked on Coz

Hooked on Coz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, Sky Diving, Riding my Fatboy

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

Wow! Only insured on the Island? Really! Id be interested in who your insured with and why?

#22 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:34 PM

I'm interested as well, in large part because I'll be shopping for car insurance soon.

There are some ways this makes sense to me. For one thing, the island would be very difficult to get a stolen car off of. Sure, it could be stripped for parts, but there's only so far that you can go with that until you start piling up chassis outside your chop shop. Once on the mainland, there are two continents for a stolen car to disappear into. There are also no high-speed highways on the island and I'd expect annual mileage to be limited compared to people who live on the mainland. 

If my insurance company were to offer me a lower rate that applied only if I didn't take the car on the ferry, I'd most likely take it.

#23 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:20 AM

My policy is with AXA. 

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#24 Skibum

Skibum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:38 AM

I shopped insurances a bit before our first trip (with an RV). Best value with high coverage (300K) Bonita West, purchased through Costco. Never have had a claim so I can't speak to responsiveness. We have the same coverage on our truck on the island.

#25 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:02 PM

I'd be cautious about renting on the mainland and bringing the car across to Cozumel. I know for a fact that my insurance is good only as long as the car is on the island. If I go across, I am not covered. Now, maybe that's an issue with my own policy, I don't know. Just check things out thoroughly if you decide to rent from the mainland.

My comment about insurances on the mainland was just an aside comment.  I did not mean to infer that you could rent a car on the mainland and bring it cozumel.  It is my understanding that you can't bring a rental car from the mainland to cozumel, nor from cozumel to the mainland.

#26 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:00 PM

As far as I know, you actually CAN take rental cars on the ferry. It's just that there's really no reason to do so and several reasons not to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users