• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 cozumelwantabe

cozumelwantabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:46 PM

O.K., whats the scoop... I heard there were Croc's spotted up by the Coral P. in the North hotel zone. Is this true??
I have done some night snorkling by myself just south of that area and now I'm sure that was such a good idea..... :unsure:

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:27 AM

I understand there are some that live in the Puerto Abrigo marina which is pretty near to the Coral Princess. They chomped a couple of pet dogs over the years, ones that leaped into the water chasing toys. It's possible one of them ventured out into the open water. But the currents tend to be quite strong out there so I wouldn't think it would be their preferred habitat. Fish feeding by hotel staff could lure them out, I'd guess. Wanna get in on those tortilla snacks.

#3 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:08 AM

There are many Crocodiles on the island. There are several in the Puerto Abrigo area, mostly in the interior to the East of the marina, but it is not rare to see a big one in the marina. The ones in the interior use the tidal creeks to move in and out. I have seen as many as three together in the open water South of Abrigo.

Cozumel Diving

#4 cozdude

cozdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:rock & ice climbing, mountaineering, snowboarding, diving, mountain biking, mixed martial arts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:04 AM

There are many Crocodiles on the island. There are several in the Puerto Abrigo area, mostly in the interior to the East of the marina, but it is not rare to see a big one in the marina. The ones in the interior use the tidal creeks to move in and out. I have seen as many as three together in the open water South of Abrigo.

Yikes! Only place I've actually seen them is on the Punta Sur tour and at Playa Palancar in the marsh area (behind the fence!), so I knew they were around, and that they are salt water crocs. But if I saw one underwater while diving, I think I'd probably sh*t myself!!! :blink:

#5 cozumelwantabe

cozumelwantabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:00 AM

O.K., We had rented Villa Loyd last forth of July and that is where I had gone night snorkling. Of course that is just south of the marina and during the day I would snorkel up to the marina.
I am now thinking this may not be such a good idea.....
Are Croc's attracted by light at night? Will it stop there advance towards me if I shine a light into there eyes?
If I tell my wife about this I will NEVER get her into the ocean on Cozumel again...
Those that are familer with the island would you recomend snorkling up by Miramar during the day or am I just being a little sissy....

#6 Shell

Shell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:42 AM

About 10 years ago, a friend stayed at the Melia (where I happen to have a timeshare) and sent me pictures of a croc in the water in front of the hotel in the middle of the day. Several employees were having what I would call a croc rodeo, trying to lasso it and get it out of the way. That was pretty wild and it has given me pause about swimming in front of the hotel (I have absolutely given up night snorkeling). We were at the Playa Azul a few years ago, talking to the general manager when she mentioned that a croc likes to hang out at the end of the pier at night. Funny, that's where we like to do night swims because of the easy sandy entry. Uh, no more.

#7 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for unburying this topic, Cozumelwantabe! It got stuck under Flashlights for Night Snorkel. I think we will skip a night snorkel at CP...

#8 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles; Cozumel; Reading;

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:07 AM

I have seen a croc entering the water just north of El Cozumeleno between there and the Melia just after dark. It went into the sea on the Melia side of the long pier that runs out from the El Coz. I figured it was because there is no current there due to the pier and the water is kinda murky there also. I have done lots of night scubaing around there and all the way south to the old Disney hotel and have never seen one. Of course you probably wouldn't at night unless he was right on top of you. I doubt they would mess with a human. I have never heard of any incidences on the island.

#9 cozumelwantabe

cozumelwantabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:15 AM

Ya, I think I'll find a different spot to night snorkle...
CZMDM, is there a better location (less chance of running into one) on the island for a night snorkle that you would rec.??
And those that have seen them, just how big are we talking about???
Of course the question still stands, are they attracted by light or if one is approching me is it best to shine the light into there eyes??? Of course I am pretending I won't be screaming like a little girl at that point....

#10 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles; Cozumel; Reading;

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:02 AM

The one I saw around the Melia looked to be about 3.5' to 4' long. It scurried along pretty quick when we saw each other. I think it was more scared than me. I think they are probably looking for scraps or small fish. I really doubt they would mess with something as big as a person. The ones down at Punta Sur look quite a bit larger mabey 5.5' to 6.5' foot long. Hard to tell with nothing to gauge them with. Does that sound about right on the size they grow to on the island...anyone?

#11 cozdude

cozdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:rock & ice climbing, mountaineering, snowboarding, diving, mountain biking, mixed martial arts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:05 AM

CZMDM, is there a better location (less chance of running into one) on the island for a night snorkle that you would rec.??
Of course the question still stands, are they attracted by light or if one is approching me is it best to shine the light into there eyes??? Of course I am pretending I won't be screaming like a little girl at that point....

Go do the Punta Sur tour to see how big they are (the tour, by the way, is not bad as these things go)! They are BIG! Seriously, no joke, these things are large animals that look quite capable of snatching a limb off with one bite. that being said, I've never heard of a croc attack on a human in Cozumel. Certainly that would be something you'd expect to garner a lot of attention?

#12 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:28 AM

It is highly unlikely that anyone would run into a crocodile or cayman while in the open water snorkeling during either day or night. They are mainly in the lagoons. I have only seen them once in the open water. There were three giant ones together about 200 meters South of Puerto Abrigo. I think half of the island population was at the beach watching them. I did see a very large one in the Caleta a few months ago, so it had to come in from the open water. I wouldn't sweat it.

When you used to be able to walk back into the Columbia Lagoon I had two stalk my dog at the same time. The water was very shallow and I just ran at them kicking as much water as I could and making as much noise as possible. They both took off. When I lived in Florida I saw hundreds of alligators and got within a couple of feet them quite a few times. I was with guides in the Everglades and it was not that big of a deal. The guides would jump in and grab 5' long ones for photo's.

Cozumel Diving

#13 austinacoustic

austinacoustic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:08 PM

I really wouldn't worry about the crocs, the bull sharks eat them!!!! Just kidding!! I would think if your worried about crocs pick a site that is not close to an inlet, and don't tie raw chicken to your ankles.... Have a great time on the island. :D

#14 cozumelwantabe

cozumelwantabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:09 AM

But if you don't tie raw chicken to your ankles how do you stay afloat??
Next I bet your going to tell me that you really are NOT supposed to take a stick to polk sharks, cuda's and the dive master with??? Ha, ha, shows how much you know.... however thinking back on it I do have to say that last dive master seemed like he was getting a little anoyed..

Thanks for the info Mike!!!
It's too many days yet to do a count down (July 1st), but we can keep dreaming...

#15 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Scuba, Motorcycles

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:11 PM

Crocks and I dont mean those silly shoes are eating machines and seldom below the very top of the food chain.
On the bright side , most dont like humans , most like it to be quiet, most seem to live by the adage ......dont mess with me I wont mess with you. Another nice thing is the SWC's on Cozumel dont get nearly as big as those in the southern Pacific and surrounding areas.
Do a WIKI search of them and you can read a lot of info. I too as others have stated have never over my 18 years of visits heard of a unprovoked human attack on Cozumel. Lots of Croc's BTW up at the Golf Coarse... that ball in the ruff is only worth a few bucks .. get a new one out of your bag...
Richard

#16 redwingsfan

redwingsfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

how was Vila Loyd??? Coming to Coz for the first time January 2014 and aren't having much luck findings reviews.

#17 Tomas

Tomas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scuba diving, travel, books, food, culture, people, fish, art, the world.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

I think there are a plethora of other things to worry about on the island besides crocs. Like motos, or tourists on motos. If you want to see crocs, you need to head to where the big estuaries and mangrove areas are. A couple of other places around to bump into them but in reality, like most animals, don't want anything to do with people. I'd worry more about people with balloon hats and yard long drinks...

I'm a fish!

#18 El Graduado

El Graduado

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:25 PM

The crocodilians indigenous to Cozumel are the American Crocodile (Crocodylus acutus) and Morelet’s Crocodile (Crocodylus moreletii).  The adult C. acutus is light gray in color and has a pointed snout, much narrower than an alligator.  The adult C. moreletii is a dark gray-brown and has a much broader snout; however, they are crossbreeding with C. acutus, so now there is a range of snout widths on the island.  Both are less aggressive than the Nile and Australian crocs.  They can swim around 20 miles per hour in short bursts and run on land at about half that speed.  The C. acutus thrives in salt water.  C. moreletii prefers the fresh or brackish water inland.  On Cozumel, the crocs are protected by law from harassment and hunting and are making a big come-back from the days they were fair-game.  You would be surprised at how many are seen these days just off-shore, moving to new feeding or mating grounds in the afternoons.  A few months ago, we had the first incident of a croc attacking a human that I ever heard about that was not golfing-related (it seems people just don’t believe the signs at the golf club).  It was a local man illegally spearfishing close to shore at sunset in the park waters.  It bit his arm and he was taken to the hospital.  He was lucky it wasn’t one of the big ones; the C. acutus can grow to over 20 feet long and weigh over 2,000 pounds. C. moreletii doesn’t grow much more than 9 feet, but that is still a sizable animal.  If you ever stop by Cabaña del Pescador restaurant across the street from Playa Azul Hotel in the north hotel zone, ask the owner if you can feed Gloria, the wild seven-footer that sleeps under the wooden patio in back.  She’ll come four feet out of the water in a lunge for a chicken leg.  For more info on Cozumel’s natural history, see my website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users