• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 umbellate

umbellate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:50 PM

Hi all! My name's Erin. My husband and I will be in Cozumel for Christmas day (well, the entire week)! 

We're staying at an all-inclusive and will be renting a car. We REALLY look forward to finding some great snorkeling!  Like, REALLY.

Questions:

- Any suggestions about what's a must-see on the island?  Since we'll have a car, we can roam around as we please.  (Beaches, snorkel spots, bars, shops...)

- Is there a listing of events anywhere on the 'net?  I've been searching but haven't come across anything. We'd like to know what (if anything) is going to be going on for Christmas.  And just in general

- Any advice about staying at the resort? It says gratuities are included, but I'd feel bad not tipping the employees... Suggestions on amounts to tip/what to tip for?

- Where should we stay away from?  Are there actually any "bad parts" of the island?

That's about it for now.  I look forward to coming on back to the forum soon!  Thanks, everyone!!

- Erin

#2 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:15 AM

Christmas is my favorite time of year here. The town will be full of Christmas spirit, but the celebrations are mostly private. There are a couple of gringo bars, where I am sure many NA's will congregate. Restaurants and everything else will close near dark, on the 24th so you should plan your dinner early. Things are almost always closed on Christmas morning, but since there are cruise ships, some things might be open. There are lots of kids groups walking around singing and the town is beautiful at night. Enjoy it.

There are not any 'bad' parts of the island. But be aware that there is a lot of theft and if you go to a beach bar or restaurant or stop to snorkle, use prudence. There have been a couple of isolated incidents of robbery on the secluded beaches, so be aware of your surroundings.

If you have never snorkled here, I suggest you drive to Playa Palancar and take their snorkle trip. The reef they go to, the Columbia Shallows, is the best shallow reef on the island. The trip is very short from their departure location. The captain, Felipe, is one great guy.

You will most likely fall in love with our little island. Many travelers return time after time. Hope you have a blast.

Cozumel Diving

#3 umbellate

umbellate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:23 PM

Thanks so much, Mike!  We'll definitely check out Playa Palancar -- I'll take some videos with our new "waterproof" underwater digital camcorder and post them.  ...If the camera survives... (do I trust them when they say "waterproof"...?

:-)

- Erin

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: first-timer, snorkeling, nightlife, attractions, events

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users