• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dug130

dug130

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

I just came across this site and registered this evening. I have been to Cozumel several times and have always loved it and wondered what it would be like to live here. I recently retired and have an annual income of about 40K.  Was wondering if I could make the move on that yearly amount?

I absolutely hate winter and snow... never want to see it again.

#2 2islandbums

2islandbums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Diving/ working to get dive money.

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:12 PM

Welcome to the site.
Will 40 grand do it? Depends on how you want to live, and where.
Many do it on less, some on more you just have to check it out and see what is important to you.
Hope it works out for you.
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

Albert Einstein,

#3 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:53 AM

I just came across this site and registered this evening. I have been to Cozumel several times and have always loved it and wondered what it would be like to live here. I recently retired and have an annual income of about 40K.  Was wondering if I could make the move on that yearly amount?

I absolutely hate winter and snow... never want to see it again.

If your home is paid for, you could live extremely well,  by island standards. If you cannot make it here on $40k per year, you are living extravagantly.

Cozumel Diving

#4 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:08 AM

We moved from Colorado, including health insurance from here and all bills we make it good on about 2500 a month and could do with a little less as we finish all of our housing projects. If you included rent of say 500 per month you could still eat out quite a bit and even travel around a little on the Mexican bus system etc.We pay for dog walking (yeah I know) water aerobics, spanish lessons twice weekly and a few other expenses ourself. Prescription meds are out of pocket and are affordable as you do not need a doctor visit for a prescription.

Our house , rented out in Colorado had 15 degrees all week. I believe we have had enough of the cold

#5 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:08 PM

Check out the Mexican website for the requirements for entry. We are retiring at the end of December and are moving there Jan 25th.  You have to start the immigration process at the consulate in your home country and as retireees you have to prove you can afford to live there.  You have to have so much money coming in monthly (we don't as we are retiring early) so we have to now prove we have about $125K in the bank for the last 12 months to qualify.  They include RSPs & TFSA (Cdn retirement funds) so we think we will be okay.

We had to wait until we got our new 10 year passports as I didn't want them expiring while it had a visa in it.  Will try this coming week to drop off the application to start the process rolling.   It might be a little slow because of the holidays but should be done by first week in January.  Cutting it close but we needed our passports for our trip in November.

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#6 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:37 AM

Betty...the visa you will receive from the Mexican consulate is only for 365 days if you are applying for a temporal.

#7 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

We are applying for a permanent resident visa.  Our interview is set for Wednesday morning.

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users