27 replies to this topic

#1 cperkins

cperkins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

Hi everyone,

My wife and I have a place on the island... We are planning to bring a 88 Suzuki Samurai, and a small utility trailer with an older ATV into Mexico. Our plan is to import/naturalize it upon import. We plan to have it shipped by Hyde Shipping to Puerto Morelos. Does anyone have any recommendation for an agent to assist in the permanent import? I received a list of import agents from Joe Rodriguez of Hyde Shipping listing a Lopez Mena Agencia Aduanal from Cozumel... has anyone had any experience with them?

Any thing else that might be helpful to me / the community on this note??

Many Thanks

Chris

#2 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:26 PM

Check with the age restrictions on naturalizing a vehicle...not sure a 1988 will qualify. We ended up purchasing here because it was going to cost way to much to import and naturalize a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer.

#3 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

Lopez Mena does not do cars. Your car is a J car. Beginning 2014 'J' cars will not be allowed for importation. If your importation is not in tramite now, it is too late. Also your car is already too old. Best to sell it and buy local. I know that is not what you want to hear. Sorry.

Cozumel Diving

#4 cperkins

cperkins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:39 PM

Thank you both for your replies!

Your right... its defintely not what I wanted to hear. I had specifically re-built this Samurai just to bring down. Its practically new with a title that says 1988... Are you certain on the age issue? My understanding a year ago or so was that it was easier if the car was a bit older as the naturalization cost was much less.... I sure hope it will still be possible.... if not, then I guess I will go to plan B and buy something there. Do either or you (or anyone else who reads this) know of a local customs agent who has current experience with importing vehicles? I'd like to know the expected details.... I realize with any goverment, at times things can be skewed a bit.

Chris

#5 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:05 AM

I don't know anyone in the past year or so that has imported a vehicle into Mexico. For us it was just too complicated and with the ever changing regulations it was just easier to purchase here.

#6 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:52 AM

This is the only guy in the area, that I know for sure, who has imported cars. He is in Chetumal. I am providing his email, but should advise that he speaks not a word of English.

Gerardo Uc

gerardo.uc.@hotmail.com

Cozumel Diving

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:27 AM

The cost to import a qualified vehicle is minimum $2,500 usd's, and the paper work from what I am reading can take a couple of months.

You can get really nice used vehicles here for what it is going to cost to ship via Hyde, importation, and brokers fees, and then you may need to pay another brokers fee to get it out of Puerto Morelos.

I feel your pain, believe me.  We had to ship our beloved, and well cared for Toyota truck out of here because of two reasons.

1.  To old to import

2.  Can not drive a foreign plated vehicle with as permanent resident (couldn't do it on an FM2 either)

On to plan C.

if you have a facebook account, this is the place where local vehicles are bought and sold:https://www.facebook...44163822295884/

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#8 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

If you are just now getting your first immigration document and are a temporary resident and have a foreign plated car.....................you are good to go, without having to import it. A lot of people say that they will change Art. 106 of the Aduana, but I find that dubious since there are thousands of Americans that do not want to have permanent residency.

Cozumel Diving

#9 cperkins

cperkins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:41 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies! Very helpful! I think we will end up buying a Jeep in Mexico. Coz2wonder, thanks for the link... that was going to be my next question...

anyone else have any recommendations for local used vehicle sales? Or better yet know of someone with a very nice used 4x4 jeep for sale?

Thanks

Chris

#10 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:36 AM

Was there a reason you wanted a jeep, particularly one with 4-wheel drive? For practicality on the island, besides a strong AC, a lockable trunk is a major attribute for any vehicle.

Were you planning on using the ATV on the island? Check the legalities for importing that as well.

People typically put the $ symbol in the window of vehicles for sale along with a phone number. You will often see them parked in higher traffic locations. They almost never indicate the price wanted so phone communication skills in Spanish are necessary. Prices would probably be better in Cancun and more so in Merida, but Cozumel would be easier to check and verify ownership documentation and car history.

#11 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:45 AM

We bought ours off of vivastreet.com.mx

Basically we used google translate while in Canada, purchased in playa del Carmen. When we arrived on the island we paid their way on the car ferry to the island.....had the car checked out and transferred...took the guy to the bank and transferred the money from our account to his.

#12 cperkins

cperkins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:32 AM

Our goal with 4x4 was to be able to go to the north east side of the island to some beach area where we could just have a picnic and watch the ocean... we've been told that 4x4 is really needed for this part of the island. We also just plain like the look of the older CJ5/CJ7. I have alot of mechanical familiarity with that age of vehicle, which was also a driving factor. (They are made to be worked on)

KAC,  We've done almost the exact same thing.... used google translate and found a few jeeps.. also in Playa Del Carmen. We have a few friends on the island who will help facilitate.

Thanks again to everyone for the replied, truly appreciate it

Chris

#13 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:24 AM

Even in 4 wheel drive, most jeeps cannot make it anywhere near the lighthouse. They are too heavy. I used to spend a lot of time in that area and the only vehicles that consistantly make it are dune buggys. The beach at Ixpalbarco is fabulous, is just about a mile North of Mezcalitos and can be reached by almost any vehicle. IMO there is not nearly enough to do or see up there that warrants a decision per vehicles. Like somebody else pointed out, I think you would regret it if you did not have a vehicle with locking doors. Otherwise you will be extremely limited when you go shopping. Most locals to complete a weeks worth of shopping need to stop at 3-4 stores. For me, it would be a royal bitch to have to drop off items from each stop,

Cozumel Diving

#14 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:57 AM

I have a jeep with a bikini top, and no windows.  It is a complete PITA when it rains, windy, cold or I need to go shopping.

There is a CJ7 for 28m peso's on the auto link I provided.  Which would be in the neighborhood of about 2,600 usd's.

The FUN FACTOR clouded my judgement when I bought mine.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#15 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:38 PM

There is a guy in Akumal (expat) goes by the name Redbeard.  He imports cars across the border all the time.  I believe that is how he makes his living.  Go to Locogringo.com and post on the main forum asking for his contact info.  Lot's of people have it and will give it to you I am sure.

#16 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:00 PM

here's the problem, and why I have never done it...you don't know what your buying.

At least here you can have the vehicle gone over by a trusted mechanic before you put down any money.  The vehicle make look great, but you have no way of knowing if it was in a flood, maintained, true ownership, the list could go on.

The other thing is, your paying an inflated price of at least $2,500 USD because it is being imported.  Then you have to pay to have the license switched from what ever Mx state it is imported to, then switch the licensed and tagged to Q Roo.

With that said, I could see using the site to compare pricing.

Lots available on the island, as well as Playa, Cancun and Merida (if you really need to go that far).

Anonymous

#17 cperkins

cperkins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:11 AM

I'd have to admit there is a "fun factor" involved in wanting a jeep over something else... Perhaps I will weight that out a bit more. I have seen some removable hard top jeeps in Playa.. maybe I'll try and talk my wife into that. hahah,.. atleast there would be an option to switch between no top / soft top / hard top.

Thanks for the opinion on the drive up to the north east end... maybe I'll just think about getting a 125cc dirt bike or 4x4 ATV instead.. .something that can be physically moved by oneself (would make it less likely to get stuck). ... for some reason I have a fascination with checking it out. I also heard that the spear fishing up there is pretty good...

Thanks again for all the replies. I'd be happy to buy everyone here a beer =)

#18 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:27 AM

From first hand experience I have to say that going up to the lighthouse on the north end is not really recommended. I made it up about 35 years ago and tried again in 2011. I have a 4 wheel drive vehicle on the island and it is rough going. It takes a whole day there and back. The only reason you need 4 wheel drive is to get through the sand in some parts. Getting past the first few kilometers is able to be done in any vehicle. Not a problem. Once past the military post it isn't to bad except for a few places with sand. After that the road can disappear and you are driving on coral. The bottom of the tires should be fine but it's the sidewalls I worry about as they can very easily be sliced by the coral and it's a long walk back not to mention trying to get your vehicle out. Last time after about 3 hours into the trip I did get a flat but didn't have a jack in the vehicle. Managed to change the tire anyway. I do plan on trying again but am reluctant as I don't want to ruin the new tires I have. It's really not a priority to get up there. There are many nice beach areas on the East side you can go to. If you really want to get up there take a dune buggy tour and save the ware on your vehicle. Below are a few photos of the journey.

P7250350_zps514f31d1.jpg

P7250349_zps901d8168.jpg

P7250353_zps632c7bdb.jpg

P7250357_zps7be6fee0.jpg

P7250358_zps51c007ba.jpg

P7250362_zps0dce466c.jpg

P7250371_zps40081d70.jpg

P7250378_zpsbe00474a.jpg

P7250379_zps60c4ef96.jpg

#19 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

We drove down with a 2007 jeep grand cherokee. We had originally purchased a 2010 Nissan Rogue to make the trip but not only was the 1st number wrong for importing the damn thing it did not have a solid frame (unibody) and we did not feel good pulling our trailer down here with it. Then we decided it would be best if say we had a new aluminum trailer as it was lighter.

So after all the trades and being about 5 thousand in the hole we were all set to go and drove down. I must say there were no problems and I would do it again.  I probably will drive back to take the car and the trailer to  to the states because as we came across the border the permit tied the trailer to the car. Now if we go to the border they must both be there.

You have four years at least to get your permanent residency established during which time you can legally drive the car you are importing, especially as I do not believe you will need a tip when it arrives by boat. 

I guess what I am trying to say is we over thought the hell out of everything we were going to do as the house was purchased by us a couple of years before we moved. Things here work out how the work out and ideas that do work never even occured to us till we actually saw some people doing stuff.

Good luck with whatever you do

#20 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

I do not know where the at least "2500" figure and several months comes from, that just is not the case.  I know someone who nationalized his 2004 vehical for $1500 and it did not take that long.  I am in the process of doing my daughters 2003 Jeep Liberty and my quote is $1400 plus my placas when I get to Cozumel. It will be arranged and I will be met at the boarder when I drive it down.

Wether it is worth it to you or not is a personal decision.  In our case it is worth it as it would cost more to get her Mastiff and belongings to Cozumel then the drive and cost of the car, and then she has her car here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users