• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:05 PM

Hi, I a map of Cozumel Cenotes online showing where, how deep, sustained life etc at http://www.caves.org...e-69-02-250.pdf

Does anyone have opinions of the safety of hiking into the jungle areas alone? You know really off the beaten path, this is our 2nd time there and we avoided doing that the first time, but it would be hard to belive none of the locals ever hike thru the jungle.

Thanks all in advance

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:26 PM

My husband has done two hike from El Cedral to the HUGE Cenote midway to the center of the island.

It took him over 10 hours to hike (round trip) to Chen Pita. It is an exhausting hike.

Right click your mouse on the pic to get a larger view

Attached Files

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 austinacoustic

austinacoustic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:27 PM

Wow, I would ALWAYS take a guide, what if one of you gets hurt, the other person would have to go for help, and then if you don't speak Spanish, try to explain where the hurt hiker is. There are too many things that could go wrong :unsure:

#4 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:47 PM

Most of the "jungle" is pretty nasty scrub thorn forest vegetation. There are a couple of plants that are serious skin irritants. It is not a particularly inviting nor friendly environment. Add sweltering heat and clouds of mosquitoes and not a fun mix for a nature hike. I have hiked around some in the woods around El Cedral. Many of the areas would require chopping your way along via a machete.

There are a couple of good cenote and/or cave experiences on the mainland. There is one excursion primarily marketed to cruise passengers of "Jade Caverns" with "bat cave" in Cozumel, but I don't know of anyplace I could recommend that wouldn't involve risk of loss of blood from the thorns or insects.

#5 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:11 PM

Okay thanks so much for the warnings, maybe we could just visit the cave that Steve mentioned and pictured on his solo trip report #11, it looks like it is just off the beach, we ill have a renatl car all week, does anyone know where we would find this cave? After that we could just do a horsback ride to a cenote.

Thanks again for all the local info...you guys are really really wonderful people (not like many in Connecticut;)

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:19 PM

Spencer, don't think you can get there from anywhere on horseback.

I don't where the cave is, I have asked Steve and haven't gotten an answer back.

The picture does not provide a reference point for me to even try and guess the location of the cave.

I am sure somebody knows, and will post.

As for horseback riding, the one facility that advertises rides on the beach (that would be the west side of the island) is Mr. Sancho's Beach Club. http://www.mrsanchos...nchos/tours.htm

I live just down the road from the place and see the horses. They are well taken care of, so I feel comfortable recommending them. In fact, they have a beautiful Palomino that I would love to have...

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users