• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

We went to the Mexican consulate yesterday for our interview for our permanent visas. Lucky us only had to go that one time as I had everything they require the first time. We were there 1.5 hrs for interview (separate), photo & finger prints. I go back tomorrow to pick up our passports with the visas. I am told we have to repeat this all again once we arrive. Bummer. 

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#2 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:02 PM

Got our passporst with visa today.  I asked about the process for shipping our household goods down and got very confused.  Have sent off an e-mail to our lawyer Gretchen Martin to help get some answers.  

I can't wait until we are there and settled and can really start our retirement.

Betty

Betty

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

Your international shipper SHOULD be able to handle all the paperwork for you, that is their job. 

They will need a copy of your documents so that you receive your one time shipping of household goods into Mexico without duty.

The process is pretty simple, (in hind site) but you have to make sure you hire an INTERNATIONAL SHIPPER. 

When I moved here, I found Strom/White movers (who did not move to this area of Mexico at that time), but provided a great deal of FREE information on the process.  You might just want to read through their information so that you are familiar with the process.http://www.strommoving.com/id39.html

What I did at my end (wish I had done more) is to build a portfolio of pictures and descriptions of the items I was shipping.

Also, a general description of what the contents are in each box. (Box's 1-5=kitchen appliances).

It helps a lot when you receive the goods as to how your going to organize them once they arrive.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:37 PM

Thanks Paula.  I will have a look at the link you provided.

The confusion was with the consulate and the timing of everything.

- Shipping company packs and provides list  and I can e-mail to consulate to confirm it is okay.

- I have to provide letter with address in Canada and address it is being shipped to in Mexico.  The address I have now is a rental only until March 31st.  I want it shipped to another address at a later date but I don't know it yet.  It could be a long term rental or our newly bought house.  Don't know at this point but found out it has to be shipped within 6 months of our date of entry (Jan 25).  

If there is a problem with the list; it needs to be corrected.  If we have to go into the boxes; then the shipping company cannot take them yet.  This back and forth could take days/weeks.

Once the list is approved then I go in for an appointment to confirm everything and pay the fee.  I should get everything back within 2 days.

I had originally booked the packers to come Jan 15 as we have to leave the house by Jan 18.  I think I need to move up the day the shippers come to pack.

This is the last piece...I think.

Betty

Betty

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:09 PM

The delivery address is all you need.  It doesn't matter if your there a day, a month or year.

The International shipper should be the ones running the gauntlet for you, not you.

As far as expected delivery...expect some leeway by a week, or two for the furniture to hit here.

Here is a question you can ask your shipper.

Will you be off loading my shipment to another handler to manage the US side, then off load again to another shipper to cross into Mexico, and deliver?

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

Yes Paula but the questions is "what is the delivery address"?  I don't know at this point what to put on the letter.  I have sent Gretchen an e-mail to ask if the delivery address can be someone else's address (with a garage) versus the address of my application for PR card (my rental until Apr 1)

Betty

Betty

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:20 PM

use the address that is on your PR card.  Once's it's across the boarder, it's a non issue.

It's yours.

Hold off on completely your RP here, until you have housing (buy or rent long term)

Otherwise, your going to have to go back to immigration and inform them of the address change.

Anonymous

#8 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:56 AM

But that still doesn't answer "what address to use on the letter to the consulate here in January" requesting the certificate to move my household goods.  

I think will have to do an address change.  Will wait to see what Gretchen says.

Betty

#9 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:49 AM

As to the timing, I found the following info on the website of the Detroit, MI Mexican Consulate:

"HOUSEHOLD FOR RESIDENTS IN MEXICO

Foreigners that have a Non Immigrant Card “Tarjeta de no Inmigrante” or visa to work or live in Mexico for more than six months are eligible to take household goods, that must be inventoried."

When you enter Mexico next, you will be on an FMM that, according to INM procedures, may either be tendered within 30 days to begin the change to Permenante or be held for 6 months, at which time you are required to leave the country. So you will not have anything that allows you to live in Mexico for more than six months until your Res. Perm. card is issued. Which is why I recommend speaking with your immigration lawyer as well as a customs broker who knows the mensaje de casa rules for Mexico.

#10 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

Thanks again Deb.  After our talk I sent an e-mail to Gretchen.  Still waiting for a reply.  Hopefully tomorrow when  she is back to work.  I will also be talking to the shipping company tomorrow too.  For the price they are charging I think they should be helping out more here too.

Betty

Betty

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:30 PM

are you planning on storing your furniture when it arrives?

There is only one storage unit in Cozumel, which we used.  It does not have A/C and runs about 2,000p's per month.

If you need info, I will dig through our files to find the contact info.

Anonymous

#12 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

Thanks Paula but we will store here in Toronto until we are ready to ship and then we have a place to ship to and store our stuff, for about a month or two.  Only about 360 cubic feet so not much.  We will move it once we have a longer rental or buy a place.

Also Gretchen came back and said we can ship to an address different than the rental we have until April 1st as it is only temporary.

Thanks everyone

Betty

Betty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users