Buccano's -- Not Impressed

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

I just returned on Monday from 8 days in Cozumel, and I finally got a chance to try out Buccano's. After all the good reviews I've read here, I was looking forward to it. I wanted to try Buccano's at night, but the group I was with didn't want to spend the extra money on taxis to go way up north, unless I gave a good report on a Recon mission for lunch. I had the Coconut Shrimp - they were overcooked, rubbery and dry, very heavy on the coating (which was mostly panko crumbs, without flavor, and very little coconut), and the sauce they served with it, a yellow Poblano puree, simply did not taste good. It cost me 160 Pesos to take a taxi up there from Casa Del Mar, and in return I got an overpriced and badly cooked lunch. I will not be returning.

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

Sorry to hear you did not enjoy your lunch.

The only question I would have is, did you report this to the waiter?  Did he offer to take the food back to make a new order, or suggested you ordered something else??  

Buccanos is an excellent restaurant, but sometimes, even the best places may turn out one bad dish.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:09 PM

We hung there long enough to eat a little lunch one time.  It didn't strike me one way or the other.  I have been there a number of times for breakfast.  It has always been really good and perfect.  The remoulade they make for the breakfast quesadillas is awesome.  Still haven't made it to dinner yet.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#4 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:49 AM

Each meal there is very different. Breakfast has always been considerably better for me than lunch. As far as I can tell, Buccanos at Night is VERY different from Beachclub Buccanos. For all I know, the entire kitchen and front of house staff could be different. The menu certainly is.

#5 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

I can't speak to the coconut shrimp as I don't eat coconut. I'm another person who has only done breakfast (exceptional) and is a regular at Buccano's at Night. Certainly there are some dishes I like more than others, but I can say I have never been disappointed. The nightly specials are beyond belief as are a number of items on the menu. I will say that when you go to Buccano's at Night, you need to go with the perspective that it is a dining experience. You don't go there to eat. 

I'm really sorry to hear that you had a bad experience, but I really would encourage you not to judge by that one meal. Try it for dinner rather than lunch!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#6 VideoVern

VideoVern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:54 AM

Next time down, we need to do breakfast there.  Have done lunch and dinner.  Both great experiences.

VideoVern

VideoVern (aka: Skip)

"Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

#7 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:18 AM

Going to Buccano's for breakfast seems problematic for me. When I am in Cozumel, most days are diving days, so I need to meet the boat by no later than 8:00 a.m. Since I usually stay south of town (much more convenient for the dive ops), a trip to Buccanno's for breakfast on one of my rare off days means a 160 Peso taxi ride each way, or a $27 round trip at current exchange rates. Can you honestly tell me that the breakfast at Buccano's is worth the extra $27 in taxi fares, compared to the very acceptable breakfast I can get at Ernesto's, right across the street from Casa Del Mar, or at Tikila, or Blue Angel? Is it worth $14 more than the breakfast I can get at Jeannie's Waffle House with a taxi ride downtown? Based on my limited experience, I doubt that I'll risk it.

#8 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:30 AM

I don't know.  You might have a point with all the cost.  I love the substantial feel of the place.  All the stone and such, very 60's and 70's swanky kind of thing with the big mounted fish and all.   The breakfast is VERY good I think.  I find it enjoyable to sit and drink coffee and look at the water.  If you go on Sunday, the expat church crowd rolls in and it has been interesting to talk to them.  However, we always have a car and it is a short ride from our place.  If I had to pay $27, I might just walk to the Museo for breakfast instead.

Sometimes the missus like to go out and snorkel out front after breakfast.  I can move over to a cushy chair and put my feet up and crack the first beer of the day.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#9 mike_s

mike_s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:41 PM

4 of us had an enjoyable breakfast with a few drinks mixed in during the afternoon there today. Sunday is always nice because it is all locals and no boat ppl. Total bill minus 15% discount was 560p. Don't think I would pay 160p taxi to go, but then again that's why we don't head south to $Bar or other locations that way. Guess its all about where you stay and what's around.

Still need to try the dinner @CCC....one day soon.

#10 scubawoman

scubawoman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

One thing to think about - those that live here year round have learned to "relax and enjoy the view".  If we want to go diving, we go diving.  If we want to nap, we nap.  When we are hungry, we eat.  Life is simple.  AND, we all were once vacationers here, probably many times.  Being on vacation means, to some, that you have to hurry up, go diving, go shopping, find a restaurant, call home, do I have enough money, when do we have to be at the airport?  We moved here because we did not want to do that anymore.

Granted, not everyone can do that, so the best thing is plan your trip for what is important to you and enjoy the time you have out of the office!  Maybe you will be able to join us some day.  BTW, you can rent a car for about $30.00 a day.

"Friends are family we choose for ourselves!" Scubawoman

#11 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

I've always found with Buccano's, the food is never something to write home about, and that even on Sunday, the service isn't all that great either. But, oh boy, the view, the snorkeling, and the fun people that we run into, it makes it all worthwhile!

We did try a dinner as well, much overhyped and frou-frou. Very pretty setting though, and free mosquito repellant!

#12 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:53 AM

So..... If you live there full time the Coconut Shrimp( - that are overcooked, rubbery and dry, very heavy on the coating (which was mostly panko crumbs, without flavor, and very little coconut), and the sauce they served with it, a yellow Poblano puree, that simply did not taste good) will suddenly taste better?  That will make going out to eat easier I guess.  Does it make the really good food EVEN better?  Sounds like Nirvana.  Or is it once you live in Paradise, you just don't care about anything else?

I still really want to try to get out to B at N.  I like overhyped and frou-frou, DB! 

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#13 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:20 AM

We've had a number of good meals at Buccanos at Night.  The dinner meals served on Friday and Saturday night are completely different meals than what is served at breakfast and lunch.  For the most part, you have to assume a new group runs the place at night.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#14 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

My sister is coming with us in January to help with the move because of the 2 dogs.  For that week we will play tourist a bit.  If we do breakfast at Buccano's, how long can we stay and snorkel?  And I assume we have to bring our own stuff, right?

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#15 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:08 AM

Betty, bring your own gear.  

Of the thousand who have eaten there, I'd say they are doing an excellent job.  Less then a handful of folks complained...that says something in itself as to how good the place is.

If you are served something that you don't like, it is up to YOU to deal with it.  Waitstaff are not mind readers. 

I have always gotten an outstanding meal, and I expect it to continue, breakfast, lunch and especially dinner.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#16 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:47 PM

My sister is coming with us in January to help with the move because of the 2 dogs.  For that week we will play tourist a bit.  If we do breakfast at Buccano's, how long can we stay and snorkel?  And I assume we have to bring our own stuff, right?

We came for breakfast and have stayed through lunch.  They will most likely whack you for 100 peso per person at the gate, but they give you a ticket for 100 peso per person credit on whatever you buy.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#17 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:09 AM

Thanks Paula.  We will bring our snorkel fins + an extra non-prescription mask then in our suitcases (via in the shipment).  (Our dive bags are there from November trip)

Thanks Chief for letting me know about the $100 pesos at the gate.  I will bring enough cash to cover that on top of the drinks & meals.

I think we will go for breakfast & a snorkel and then play it by ear and may stay for lunch.  Thanks mslf500 for letting us know it is doable.

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#18 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:32 AM

Keep in mind the entry fee isn't on top of food and drinks, since the full amount is credited to your food and drink bill.

This seems reasonable to me, unlike the USD$140 fee at the Intercontinental Presidente, only USD$45 of which is credited towards the bill. The food is also better at Buccanos.

I've never seen any evidence that they care how long you stay as long as you're a customer.

#19 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

That is my experience at Beach Clubs I've gone to - if they ding you for an entrance fee, the fee is deducted from your tab for food/drink. Playa Azul seems to have given up on their entrance fee. IMHO it's only fair to pay for food/drink in exchange for access to loungers, umbrellas, restroom and, of course, the beach! I can live without the IC Presidente experience.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#20 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:00 PM

So don't go there ;)

"We did try a dinner as well, much overhyped and frou-frou. Very pretty setting though, and free mosquito repellant!"  My opinion exactly!  

However, I love to go there for the day.  Have had many very good lunches there including coconut shrimp.  Every restaurant has there bad and good days.  You cannot fairly judge from just one meal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users