• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Southern Jim

Southern Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

Coming down over New Years for my 2nd trip to Coz. Am very excited and was looking at reviews of places where I've eaten. The most recent review on TripAdvisor says that El Foco has closed.

Hope it isn't true that was my favorite. Anyone on the island that can confirm this or hopefully correct a mistake.

Thanks

T-3 days and counting.

#2 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:22 AM

Closed. Sorry.

Cozumel Diving

#3 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:55 AM

We too were sad to see it closed. However, we heard from a fairly reliable source last night that El Foco will reopen a block or so away, where the rent isn't so expensive. Sadly, they probably won't be reopened in time for New Years.

#4 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

Sorry, but this is a loss? I only tried them twice and did not bother for a third strike. There are so many places that are near universally regarded as far superior. It is close to downtown and was better than Otates.

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:11 PM

Yes Charles it is a loss to those who liked it, and LIVE here who enjoyed it.

As stated, rumor has it, it will reopen in a new location.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 broylance

broylance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:16 PM

Yes, we always enjoyed El Foco.  Yes, it's a little pricey compared to others but it was in a convenient location.  I hope it does re-open. 

#7 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:33 AM

I loved El Foco. It was the original all night stop. In Wilma's aftermath, I had not eaten in 3 days. I was walking by and El Foco was closed. I asked Pablo when they would open and the minute he realized that I was hungry he invited me in and they made me a meal. Good people! The original people are all gone however and I am not sure it would be the same. Would give it a try for  sure.

Cozumel Diving

#8 julied

julied

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:16 PM

Went to El Foco last year.  Food was delicious!  Had enough left over for the next day.  That is a bargain in my book.

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

nagged a post Deb B made, credits to Deb.

"EL Foco has moved two blocks south of its former location. It´s on 5th Av Sur. between Calles 5 & 7."

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#10 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

Yes, it's just down from Le Chef, and they're open! We just saw it, Coz2wonder beat me to the post!

They're still remodeling, but the guy we talked to there said they now own the building, no more expensive rent. Looks like it will be lovely when it's finished. Same menu, I took video and a pic and when my phone's charged I'll try to post it.

Edit: Well, I'm a total idiot, can't find the video, so I must not have pressed "record". I do have the pic of the menu, need to figure out how to post it....copy and paste doesn't work.

#11 Southern Jim

Southern Jim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

Tonite was the last nite in Coz and luckily I checked the CMC website. Found the relocated El Foco and loved it. It is as good as I remembered, no actually it is better than I remembered.

$48 US for 3 guys, 2 margaritas, 1 XX beer and 2 bottled water (not including tip) is great. Thanks for the info. Jim

#12 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:11 PM

I do have the pic of the menu, need to figure out how to post it....copy and paste doesn't work.

Dawn, from my experience posting photos - you can't put a photo onto a post.  You have to put the photo somewhere on the web (like in a picassa or flickx photo album) and then 'point' to it using the 'image' icon above.  I did a very detailed post on how to do this some time ago in the "faqs, tips" forum.  You can check that post for more details.  Good luck.

A link the 'how to' post is:  http://www.cozumelmy...hotos-in-posts/

#13 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

Dawn, from my experience posting photos - you can't put a photo onto a post.  You have to put the photo somewhere on the web (like in a picassa or flickx photo album) and then 'point' to it using the 'image' icon above.  I did a very detailed post on how to do this some time ago in the "faqs, tips" forum.  You can check that post for more details.  Good luck.

A link the 'how to' post is:  http://www.cozumelmy...hotos-in-posts/

Thanks Dan!

We ate there tonight, the owner was most gracious and appreciative! The food was delicious. He said they'd only been open 8 days so far in the new location. Apparently, he's transforming his house into the restaurant, I had to laugh when he told us he sleeps on the table where we sat!

#14 bulsaros

bulsaros

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Glasgow Rangers Football Club

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:19 AM

Here is a pic of the new place, it's directly across the road from Kondesa
Have not eaten there but hopefully before the end of our trip
URL=http://s164.photobuc...M00109.jpg.html]CAM00109.jpg[/URL

#15 Northboy

Northboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:52 AM

It I'd not closed just mpve d about four blocks down on the same street (5th Ave). Look for sign for The Foco Restaurant.

#16 Northboy

Northboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:54 AM

Do go the food is great and the price very reasonable

#17 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:36 PM

Need to give this a try in May

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users