23 replies to this topic

#1 stellarjay37

stellarjay37

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, swimming, traveling, reading, hammock testing

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

Well here I go - Everyone raves about ISIS so we decided to rent from them and have for several occasions. Sure we overlook dealing with an old vehicle that has issues. This past week we decided to rent a car with air this time and a bonus was a radio. We were headed out to a beach south and at km 6 pulled over because we could feel something wasn't right. Yup a flat tire, really a blow out with a huge hole in the tire. So we went to change the tire and there's no tire iron. We hail a taxi because we didn't have our cells with us and he called ISIS. Waited awhile then the green angels showed up and saved the day. That tire was not coming off easy and he needed to use a sledge hammer with the help of my husband they both managed to get it off. Margarita's son shows up from ISIS and takes the tire and asks for us to drop by the office the next day. No replacement tire or tire iron, we decided to drive only around town and skip going to our favorite beach down south. We pop into ISIS the next day, thinking we are picking up a spare tire. No tire they just wanted an explanation about what happened. So we explain and drive away, still no tire or any concern about it. We were renting the vehicle for a week and still had 5 days to go. No problems for the next 5 days, thank God!! When we return the vehicle they charge us $600 pesos for the tire saying we needed to pay half for a new tire. 

My beef is that is was an old tire on and old vehicle, no replacement tire or any concern that we had one or a tire iron to even change it. Poor customer service the only thing they cared about was getting $$ for an old tire. We will no longer rent from ISIS so they lost a customer but gained a tire.

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:30 AM

Not the best way to resolve the issue by the agencies.

I am sure that anyone looking at the tire could figure out if it was blown from abuse or was an old, unsafe tire to begin with.

The Green Angles are life savers.

There are many rental places on the island, but I bet we all will check the condition of the tires before we rent now.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:05 AM

I think we paid less than that for the missus cracking a curb and bending the rim once with our rental guy.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

Dawn B paid 100 bucks because the back seat was stolen from an ISIS car...they had FULL Ins.

I have never understood the relationship with this store and the tourists.  It is a love-fest.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

Well, in fairness, I believe it is no secret that 'full insurance' at Isis is a 300 and something deductible.  I have used Isis and they were just fine, but I didn't have issues.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#6 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

Oh geez, Stellarjay, I think we got your car! Was it a red 2 door Chevy? No spare tire.....will have to check for a jack!

OMG, sorry for your misfortune, but I'm cracking up!

#7 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:49 PM

More than loyal customers, the owner enjoys an almost religious cult following. The kool aid drinkers harp that rentals include all insurance, no issues when renting. The 10% deductible which is $450 dollars for VWs and higher value vehicles might be $600 dollars, it's plainly disclosed, but it doesn't seem to register. What seems to be missed in comprehension is the customer is responsible for any and all damages or losses up to that amount. Whether it be a stolen back seat or missing battery (love those VW convertibles), worn out tires that give up the ghost, any body damages or cracked windshield, you are on the hook up to that limit. Again this is fully disclosed, but it often doesn't seem to register with most people (this wasn't about stellajay). I prefer to have a zero deductible wherever I rent and will pay for it.

I guess it should be considered a gift that they were only charged half of the $100 dollar tire cost. I think sometimes the cheerleader, blind devotion group does a disservice to a woman operating a business. You could certainly do worse, but likewise, you could do better. Isis isn't the only rental agency

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:01 PM

I think the moral of the story is...NOBODY IS PERFECT.

Perhaps those who run down/slander other agencies to the benefit of another can lean that it can backfire.

In a way, the expectations that have been set by some is so high, that it would be most difficult to not expect red carpet service.

Live, and let live.

Anonymous

#9 stellarjay37

stellarjay37

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, swimming, traveling, reading, hammock testing

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

Oh geez, Stellarjay, I think we got your car! Was it a red 2 door Chevy? No spare tire.....will have to check for a jack!

OMG, sorry for your misfortune, but I'm cracking up!

Yes it was a Red Chevy lol I'm sure your tire will be fine. First time in our lives we ever had a tire blow out. We did have 0 deductible - just saying

#10 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

Hi My name is Tina and I am a proud customer of Isis;) lil' humor there, I never bash another agency because I have never used another agency, but I can say I have used margarite 10x, price has always been fair $35 for a/c 4 door, car is always clean and runs well, never overcharged on CC when we get home, if gas not filled on return she only charges us going rate. We have showed up with a scratch and a door car ding at different times, we both agreed it was our fault, yet were never charged. However, I will say that anytime we rent a car in a foreign countries (ireland, peru, mexico) we go over the car with a fine tooth comb, check for spare, tire wear and jack (even make sure jack works as hubby is a stickler for this sort of thing;) I have seen him even look under the hood!!!  If we pull away and go around the block and are not satisfied we return the car. Again not bashing others just stating our experience, I think most that compliment her business are honestly happy and may not have ever used another agency, like us, but as they say "if it ain't broke...why fix it".....just my 2 cents. My motto is ...when dealing with other countries and there "vendors" always remember your not in the USA anymore ToTo;) Buyer be very, very, aware

#11 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

We love Margarita dearly, and will continue to rent from her, but after the stolen back seat, another favorite Isis story was when she rented us a VW with a broken passenger headrest, my face had to point down, as whomever had previously rented the car had either taken a sledgehammer and bent the headrest so you had to look at your shoes the whole time, or stomped it hard. As she was writing up the paperwork, she kept chuckling and shaking her head, I kinda figured something was up. We drove the car around the block, and took it back. We got a replacement!

#12 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:41 AM

Margarita is a good, fair minded business woman. Isis is a good, locally owned business that is worthy of support. Many people do want to rent better cars, automatic transmission and have complete, zero deductible insurance. I think some of her cheerleaders (one comes to mind) does a disservice to her from continually bashing her competitor, something that I don't think she would approve.

It makes people wonder sometimes just what are the agendas. People should feel free to use and recommend Isis.  It is not for everyone, every time. It might help if people learned how to pronounce the name in Spanish to end the conspiracy theorists. No, the taxista had no idea who you were talking about. If people want to claim sainthood, they should supply photo evidence the next time someone swears she walks on water.

#13 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:52 PM

We are loyal Isis users.

Not because we are bestest friendies with margarita, or culties, or any of that other ridiculous stuff I have seen posted by the anti-Isis crowd.

We simply go there because she is honest, fair, efficient, and trustworthy.  We have rented for 2 weeks a years for probably at least the last 5 years.

After 23 years of mexico car rentals she has been the least hassle and the least duplicitous of any rental agency we have used in Mexico.  Pacific and RM.

You know what you are getting.  The cars are old for the most part and that is why they are cheap.  She fully discloses the deductible.  We always check ourselves for a spare and the jack etc. Almost none of our Mexico rentals ever have this stuff and so we always demand they find it for us.  Any time we have had any issues she has taken care of it right away.  That is all we want and that is what we get. 

#14 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:39 PM

I don't know of any anti-Isis crowd. Another TA post today that all insurance is included, all the insurance you need, the only place to rent a car. Margarita doesn't misrepresent or exaggerate, but some of her fans do. Certain people should refrain from bashing her competitors, I'm confident she would not approve of this practice.

#15 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:23 PM

i have rented from thrifty and from isis... personally, i won't rent from either again... i will go with the convenience of avis, right in the terminal.

“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#16 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:32 AM

it appears that discussing car rental agencies is like discussing politics.  

Just because I might not endorse your "candidate" I am labeled as being negative or worse.

I would state (based on what has been posted through out this thread) that ISIS get far better treatment then her competitors when discussing rental agencies.

What I don't get is that is okay to sing the praises of one agency, while slandering, demeaning, making false statements about another, and that OKAY?

Just because I don't rent from/buy from/support something doesn't mean I am "anti" anything.  That is called CHOICE.

Anonymous

#17 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

I crack up whenever we rent a car down here. It's always an adventure. Our second time on Coz, we rented from Thrifty, and watched in horror as a street lamp fell on our rental and dented the hood, but Thrifty's big charge to us that time was for someone hit and run rear-ending us in the same parking lot, which we didn't know about. Thankfully, our credit card insurance paid for most of the damage 2 months later. Then when we rented from Isis, there was the stolen back seat. Then there was the time our muffler fell off in front of Playa Bonita after the car had started to sound really loud. And the head rest incident. This time, 2 dead batteries (we thought). Hint: push down on the clutch REALLY HARD before you declare a battery is dead. Margarita sent out her guys to Playa Corona, and while the first battery was dead, the one in the second replacement car was fine, just need to do the hard push thing with the clutch.

#18 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:35 PM

What I don't get is people who post on places they have not actually experienced.  If I post it is because I have actually been there or used that service.  Cracks me up when people try to discredit some place/thing they have never used/been to.

#19 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

I agree with you Crunch.

When you KNOW that somebody hasn't rented, but continues to support, or bash a place they have never done business with, you end up questioning the business.  They become guilty, simply by association or bad mouthing.

I have rented from ISIS.  It worked out fine, beater VW bug.  My sisters had a great time, me driving and them laughing their happy little faces off.

I really would hope that there could be some intelligent conversation in regards to what fits the needs of folks who do want a rental, and make recommendations based on the needs first, and preferences second.

Anonymous

#20 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:52 PM

I hear ya.  I would never render an opinion on anything other than Isis since i haven't actually experienced them.  I can't comment good or bad.  I do feel the need to warn people that ISis cars are very well used LOL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users