23 replies to this topic

#21 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

I hear ya.  I would never render an opinion on anything other than Isis since i haven't actually experienced them.  I can't comment good or bad.  I do feel the need to warn people that ISis cars are very well used LOL.

:lol: Or not used well...

Margarita does have a few newer and nicer cars that are more expensive to rent. If you are traveling with small children or elderly parents, I would skip the elderly VWs, otherwise you may be in for more of an adventure than you'd planned. If you're in reasonably good shape with a sense of humor, go for it.

We've rented from Thrifty/Dollar at the airport, and got some nice, newer models that were pretty reliable. They were more expensive with higher insurance, as I recall.

#22 judydivescoz

judydivescoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

We have rented from Thrifty, Blueway and Isis and have been happy with all of the rentals we have had. Honestly I am surprised to hear about the tire incident. I would not be happy either. Two yeas ago I rented a bug for a month from Isis. On the way to meet the dive boat at Blue Angel, I got a flat. I was late so I parked the car legally on the side of the road and hoofed it to Blue Angle to meet the dive boat. I called Isis from the DMs phone told them where the car was and asked them to fix it. When I got back from diving, the car was parked in front of Blue Angel all fixed. I was not charged for the service or the tire. We also had an at fault accident years ago. Margarita was instrumental in making was could have been a bad situation not so bad after all. We paid $40 for the damage to her car and a fine from the city. All that said, I am surprised with her charging you for an old worn out tire. I have one of her cars right now and am going to take a close look at the tires!

#23 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

Back in the late 1970s, into the 1980s, when Cozumel's charms started to be better known as a good place to vacation (especially for divers), there were only old, funky cars that were considered a part of the ambiance. The cars on the retail market would tend to rust out and get ragged after a few years as something about the salt air was far more corrosive than any beach location I have seen (many). Renting a bug or a "VW Thing" were your only options. No matter that the brakes might not be great, it was still a small town (20,000 population), minimal traffic, a safe and friendly place to drive.

Now their are a group of people dedicated to having adventures behind the wheel. I like driving to adventures, but I prefer no excitement, nor adventure from the simple act of driving the car and hoping it makes it to and from destination without incidents. Some wouldn't want a car that you couldn't see the pavement through the floor boards

Two local companies, LessPay and Isis rent a number of more well used cars. They are maintained and attention paid to keeping them on the road. I know LessPay and I assume Isis have their own mechanics on salary who can fix mechanical problems and repair any body damage cheaply. A dented fender might be $30 dollars, not a $500 dollar new replacement which doesn't exist.

LessPay insurance will cover all damages, provided you do have the insurance included as usual. All rentals are required to include liability. What I find amusing are the constant posts on TA praising Isis and ALL insurance included. As a joke I have tested how many posts I can make and have deleted because I mention the 10% deductible of Isis. It is significantly cheaper to have 10% deductible insurance and Margarita is not one to take advantage. I'd be more reluctant to have 10% deductible with some of the common U.S. brand name companies, which have zero in common with the north of the border except to use their reservation system to get great deals on rentals, $75 to $110 a week. Those online reservations cause complaints when people discover that with the needed insurance, add a couple hundred to those "cheep" rates.

When doing rentals, it's not a bad idea to take a good look at tires. I did have a major tire problem once that had escaped my detection as well as a tire shop. I'd check brakes and tail lights. Wise to check windshield wipers too. Dealing with the actual local companies, I'd just eye ball the body as the plus of dealing with the "well used" a little dent or scratch just doesn't matter. I don't like parking new cars in busy parking lots as they always get scratched from other's car doors..

#24 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:37 PM

why would ANYBODY be interested in 30 plus years of OLD information???

If you like ISIS, good for you.  If you like somebody else, great

This isn't TA (Shout out to Robert)

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users