10 replies to this topic

#1 3m

3m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Diving; cooking; gardening

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:46 PM

We think there must be a leak somewhere between the city water meter located just next to our property and our cistern. Our water bill went through the roof and in about one month we went through more water than we had in the last 5 years. When you lift the float in our cistern (so that it thinks it is full) and turn on the water at the meter, the meter on the dial continues to move. So I guess we need to get someone to check this. The line appears to run under the city sidewalk to the side of our house where I must then run inside our wall. I want to minimize the amount of tearing up of walls and concrete, especially since we don't know where the break is. So several questions. Is the town responsible if the break is on their side? Are we allowed to run a copper pipe above ground on our property to connect to the join at the sidewalk? Who typically assesses these problems and does the repairs? A plumber or general contractor. Thanks.
Marg Moran McQuinn

#2 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

The meter wouldn't run if the leak was on the city side. If the only water you have coming into your house goes into the cistern then it should stop running when you raise the float. I don't know who is responsible but if the meter keeps going when the float is up and that is the only pipe coming in the break must be between the water meter and the cistern. It's probably your responsibility.

#3 Spencer

Spencer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:52 PM

There is a picture of a large sinkhole that appeared dec 29

on 15 and 40 by the car wash sports park maybe that is the cause depending on where you live.

#4 Jim912

Jim912

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, teaching scuba and working on our house.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:14 AM

Marg,

Agree with the others. If the break is on the city side your meter would not be running. You can run whatever you want on your property and tie it in at the meter. As far as the copper line it should be a simple tie in to your meter or where the PVC comes out of the concrete and runs through your wall. Just a few fittings and maybe some soldering. All you need is a plumber. I have one that we have used for some time Martin, (mar teen). His number is in my Mexican cell phone that won't work right know.

#5 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:28 AM

There is a major risk of copper pipe being stolen. It has been a major growth industry on both sides of the border.

#6 3m

3m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

Thanks Jim. If you get your phone working, I would appreciate that plumber's contact info. I assume the plumber takes care of removing and filling in any concrete that must be removed to fix the problem?
Marg Moran McQuinn

#7 Jim912

Jim912

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, teaching scuba and working on our house.

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

When I went to city hall this morning to pay my taxes and trash he walked right up behind me. He will be coming by my house this evening to look a project I will give him your contact info.

#8 3m

3m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

Thanks Jim! Do you still have my land line phone number? That is the best way to reach us, short of coming by the house. Does he speak any English! by chance?
Marg Moran McQuinn

#9 John Matt

John Matt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Living in paradise!

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:14 AM

Hi All,

I have a nasty drain line problem at my house and sow this post. Did anyone ever come up with the plumber's number. I'd appreciate your help. This has been kicking my butt for the past three days!

#10 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:05 PM

Plumber's 

Hernesto
987 115 0400

Gonzalo Pech

800 4844  cell phone.

Eduardo

987-101-7347.

Juan 

987-118-4245

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#11 John Matt

John Matt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Living in paradise!

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:23 AM

THANK YOU!~!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users