Parking In San Miguel

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Golden Gopher

Golden Gopher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Travel,Snorkeling,Food & Wine, anything by the lake.

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

We are coming to stay on the island for the first time this February. We'll be staying at Residencias Condos at San Francisco Beach, so it looks as though we'll be renting a car for the week. We will probably wait for the cruise ships to vacate before coming into San Miguel for dinner. What are the best parking options? Can one park in a Mega lot or other larger store lot without issue? Where is the best place to park in San Miguel? I don't mnd paying a reasonable fee for a good location.. 

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:53 PM

There are alot of small private lots around.  Very cheap.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

Punta Langosta lot. Just watch out for falling street lights and someone stealing VW back seats. :wink:

It's actually pretty safe, well -lit, and free. Just make sure to lock your car.

#4 Golden Gopher

Golden Gopher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Are the small lots well marked, CV Chief?

#5 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

Most are fairly well marked.  You park it and get a stamped ticket on the way out and pay when you come back.  I think most are less than 10 pesos an hour.   If you are staying our LATE take notice of when they close.  Very convenient though.  Some are small, relatively the family's back yard.

They also have paid parking on Melgar along the water.  You park and go to the machine and feed it coins and it will print a slip to stick on the dash.  It is convenient as it keep plenty of space on Melgar, but if you run over and the boot you it is a bit of big pain I hear. 

Some restaurants have private lots near by you can use for free.   We used Punta Lagosta to park for the day when we went fishing off the dock there, but the paid lots are so cheap it is too easy just park close.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#6 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

I just use parking lots now. It's easier and not expensive.  They are usually less than 10 pesos per hour. You can find one within a block or two of where you need to go.

Parking on Melgar has been good if you use the parking meters. The only problem is using them after 12:00 or 1:00 pm as you can't read the screen due to the reflection of the sun. I believe you can park anywhere on Melgar after 7:00 pm without having to pay. It might be 8:00 pm but not sure.

The later at night you go out the better the odds of finding a parking space. Just remember to note the cross streets where you parked or you might be taking a taxi home if you can't find your vehicle.

I always tip the parking attendent. Also note the time they close. Many shut their gates early and some lock them so you might not be able to get your vehicle out.

Mega is a decent place to park but is a ways off from town.

#7 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

Parking on Melgar is free after 8 pm and all day Sunday

#8 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:40 PM

To answer the question about parking at large grocery stores, Mega, Chedraui, Soriana, Aki, Bodega Aurerra, and SEDENA all provide parking. At Mega and Chedraui, covered parking is available, which recently has been pretty nice. 

Their parking is really for when you're shopping there, so they're not appropriate options for just leaving your car and walking off.

There are many pay lots, typically charging 8 pesos an hour, marked Estacionamiento Publico. Away from the old downtown residential area and the waterfront, it's not usually difficult to find free on-street parking, but don't park where the curb is painted red or in front of people's driveways or you'll get ticketed.

The best thing to do with the cruise ships is to ignore them altogether. I've never found that I've needed to change my plans based on how many ships are in.

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:40 AM

All solid tips.

If I was going to a restaurant on the north side of downtown, I'd either use a waterfront meter or park on a back street a block or two away.  Plenty of street lights and people about so you're safe parking in Centro although always lock your car and do scan around for zooming mopeds in particular as there is a little gang of moped purse snatchers out and about from time to time.  The meters don't all work so put a peso in first and see if it takes,  If not, move your car to a different meter. There are usually plenty.  It's around 10 pesos for an hour.

If I was eating in the south end of downtown I'd probably just use the Mega lot and walk. Or again, opt for back street parking once again. Most all of the little private parking lots described are between Calle 2 Norte and Calle 5 Sur going back as far as Avendia 10.  So basically the downtown tourist district.  They are hard to spot as the signs are all hand painted and you won't see them until you're right upon them.  So drive slowly and keep eyes open.  Once you find one or two you like, you can just keep using those.

As to cruise traffic?  The cruisers chow down to groaning buffets on the ships in the evening and if they rent cars its usually south of town at the International or Puerta Maya piers.  Some rent cars and return them around 4 or 5 but I haven't noticed a whole lot of rental car traffic in the downtown area at any time of the day.

When there are ships downtown, the sidewalks on the storefront side of the street will tend to be full of people milling cluelessly around mostly buying nothing.  Just walk on the ocean side of Melgar and you'll only run into the smart ones who have figured out this is the side of the street with A.  a view and B. no hawkders.

#10 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:58 AM

That is a good point.  If you get more than a few blocks east in town, there is usually on street parking available fairly close to whatever.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#11 Golden Gopher

Golden Gopher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

We're looking forward to our stay. We've been on Cozumel several times from Playa, our usual destination, but liked the price for accommodations when it is just the two of us. I'll be looking for lots more info as our arrival time nears.

#12 sherrintxs

sherrintxs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:44 AM

We seem to always park at the lot on the same road as the Thirsty Cougar....we got passed the TC and turn and come back up to it.  I guess we just keep parking there because we know how to easily find it, but we have also parked at Punta Langosta parking lot, too.

We also stay at Residencias Reef, enjoy...can't wait until we are back in June.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users