Favorite Restaurants?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Golden Gopher

Golden Gopher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Travel,Snorkeling,Food & Wine, anything by the lake.

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:02 PM

My list of restaurants to try includes Kinta, Kondessa, Wet Wendy's, Del Sur Argentina Empanadas, La Cocay & Bucannos at Night. We are Playa del Carmen veterans looking to expand our Mexican vacation experience. Looking for opinions on your "Don't miss" eateries. We also love shrimp tacos, preferably the lightly breaded type.  

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

El Moro!!  Gotta hit the hood.  But don't believe me, check the Washington Post

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

Add Guidos on the waterfront and the new Ile to your list.  I gotta say I wasn't keen about the empanadas at Del Sur.

#4 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

Costa Brava is on my list along with El Coctelito.

Cindy

#5 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:06 PM

odd.  My peeps love those del sur emps.  They make a mean ribeye too. 

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#6 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:07 PM

I am going to second Guido's. I've never had a bad meal there and it has a good atmosphere. As far as meat goes, I have never found a good steak down there. I wouldn't waste my money unless you don't know good beef from bad.

#7 Golden Gopher

Golden Gopher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Travel,Snorkeling,Food & Wine, anything by the lake.

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

Thanks for the many suggestions. I've added to my list. 

#8 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

Albino's.  North on 20 upstairs under a big palapa roof.  On your left you cant miss it.  They close early but worth eating supper a little early.

#9 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:03 AM

Albino's is awesome, gotta have the mixed seafood baked in fish filet, to die for! Also, the newly reopened El Foco, and Casita Indio. All the owners of these places are so gracious and sweet. La Perlita's coconut crusted lion fish is fantastic, but sadly, they were out when we stopped by, call ahead. Casa Denis Mayan pork tacos, yum! Casa Mexicana breakfast brunch, and Costa Brava for more breakfast. There are so many good restaurants, and sadly for us, so little time.

#10 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

Abuelo Gerardo's is often overlooked but good food, good portions and nice atmosphere. Also the fish market up on bis 55 (cant recall the name) is a real treat. You can pick your fish (I prefer the hogfish) and watch them prepare it if you want. The atmosphere is nice and welcome. Casa Denis is always our favorite. The fish tacos at Paradise Bar are excellent as well as the atmosphere.

Dono

It's those changes in latitudes!

#11 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

Mr. Taco.

#12 mike_s

mike_s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

Alot of great places alreay stated in this thread for sure.  Here are a few of my LOWER cost choices. 

El Coctelito great fish and shrimp tacos 50 and 60p for an order of 3.  Not all greasy like the Taxi Stand Tacos or Chino Marinero.

Also loving the MamaLindas on the waterfront for breakfast.

ElPique and Chilangos for late night snacks.

La Herradura for a nice local style lunch (they also deliver)

Burrito Gordito is another great late lunch option.

Bilangos Hamburgers on 30th past 11S for late late night food.

#13 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

We have always stayed at Scuba Club Cozumel and done the meal plan.  I am so looking forward to moving there in a few weeks and trying all of these great suggestions.  So many restaurants...but sorry dawnb we will have the time to try them all.  LOL

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#14 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing, college football, NFL & relaxing...

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

We love El Moro!  Ray is cool as a breeze & Efren has to be one of the best chefs on the island.  We go there at least (2) times every time we come to Cozumel.  We usually go once by ourselves & at least once(more often twice) we ask our Cozumel friends to meet us there.  When we go there w/the fishing boat capitan(owner) & his extended family it gets wild.  Luis, the capitan, will bring some of the day's catch and hand it to Ray. Then the conversation gets heavy between them.  They go back & forth about how the mahi mahi & tuna should be prepared.  I stay out of it as I've never had a mediocre supper there.  When Ray walks away to deliver the order to Efren I'll ask Luis what we're going to have.  Sometimes he tells me that he told him how he wanted both fish cooked.  Sometimes he leaves one of the fish types to be cooked anyway Efren decides.  Regardless, we've had many delicious meals that aren't even on their huge menu.

It not expensive when we go.  Granted we bring our own fresh fish, but the last time we all ate there it cost about $110 USD(pre-tip).  That was for (6) adults, (5) children, margueritas, lot's of cerveza & shots w/Ray.  I couldn't get close to that in the States.  I've eaten at many other local places for lunch, but his is my favorite for supper.

"We live in a culture of simulation, in which nothing is what it seems and the image that reigns has no reference to the real world."  (The Art Of War, Sun Tzu)  It is what it is...  THAT never changes.

#15 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:03 AM

My high end choices include La Cocay, Kinta, and Kondesa. Mid-level, tourist type spots include Casa Mission (I love the ambience of sitting next to to beautiful gardens, and an after dinner amble through the gardens, with a stop at the Tequila Palapa, is a must), Guido's, Pancho's Back Yard, and Del Sur (and I love the Empanadas, as well as the Salads). Local, off-the-beaten-path places include El Moro -- a REALLY FUN place to go, the food is terrific, and the service is friendly, and the Cochinita Pibil on Sunday afternoon will leave you very full and very happy. La Perlita, on Thursday for 2-for-1 Lionfish ( but go early, as they can run out), and Pescadoria San Carlos -- go on Saturday when they have the Sopa Mariscos, and the Grouper in Garlic Sauce is EXCELLENT. I'm sure I've missed some, and some of my favorites are more sentimental favorites (i.e., Ernestos) rather than based strictly on food quality, value or service. For me, a trip to Cozumel simply would not be complete without a trip to Ernestos, but I'd be hard pressed to defend it on the basis of quality or value - I just like it, that's all.

#16 toba52

toba52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, snorkeling, travel.

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

My favourite Cozumel eatery would have to be Pescaderia San Carlos. For my part, great food and atmosphere. 

Good God but it is cold in Canada!

#17 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

We tried ILE on our last trip and thought it was probably the best meal we have had on the island.  Prices are reasonable for what you are getting, and the decor is very upscale for Cozumel while not being pretentious.

#18 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:42 AM

I"m dying to try Ile but I keep hitting them on nights when the chef is off doing a party and won't be back until 9 PM.  I'm hearing a lot of good reports and glad to hear yours also, Zman.

Met the chef and saw the place which is quite gorgeous with an outside terrace plus beautifully decorated inside with AC.  On the waterfront too which is a plus.

I will also second Pescaderia San Carlos, Chilangos and Albinos.as places I have personally tried recently and continue to enjoy.

El Moro I stopped going there years ago because it is always so crowded and loud.  Food is good, however.  But there are other equally good places for the same type of food that aren't so frenetic.  If you like a loud party atmosphere, this is a good place.  Last time I was there there were several big table with dive groups really tying one on on their last night with no diving to do on the morrow.

Del Sur? I will just say advise staying away from the chicken or shrimp empanadas and if you order a salad, get the dressing on the side.My friends liked their steaks.

#19 Getting Old

Getting Old

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:50 PM

We , ( wife and i ) ;) will be on Cozumel Island othe 4th of April .. and a great big thanks to your post and comments ... have found were to go and try for eating and resting . Already feel at home reading your posts . Cheers ;)

#20 Regiomontano

Regiomontano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:48 AM

casa misión for the best lobster on the island...not even Albertos could match it...del sur for steak, guidos for lassagna, rolandis for pizza, and el money bar for sunday music and fun.

i forgot, EL CAMARON DORADO on the transversal....YUMMMYYYYYY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users