• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 VideoVern

VideoVern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

casa misión for the best lobster on the island...not even Albertos could match it...del sur for steak, guidos for lassagna, rolandis for pizza, and el money bar for sunday music and fun.

i forgot, EL CAMARON DORADO on the transversal....YUMMMYYYYYY

Marilyn had the Lobster there on our last trip and you are right.

VideoVern (aka: Skip)

VideoVern (aka: Skip)

"Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

#22 Lauralovescoz

Lauralovescoz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:31 PM

Love all the classics named frequently her, but a very wonderful newcomer is Ile. It is absolutely sublime. Not too pricey but outstanding food in a beautiful setting.
H

#23 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:02 AM

Went to Gusto's last night for dinner...ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL.

I had the filet minion, and it was done to perfection. Husband had the fish Veracruz, which was great. Friends had a thin crust pepperoni pizza, and the Arrachera steak special.

All of us where completely satisfied, and are going back. It is a shame that this place isn't getting more business.https://www.facebook...132717593546204

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#24 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:04 AM

I think about going there every time I drive by going to and from Caleta, yet we still haven't.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#25 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:23 AM

Great food ...great service, nice atmosphere.

#26 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:47 AM

Re Gustos, what is the location so people can find it.  Obviously I don't know where it is.  It's pretty new, right?   A espaldas translates for me as 'in back of' Fiesta Americana. And before Chankannab Park. Can someone be a little more specific about the proximity of this restaurant to the hotel?   Also what are the hours?  Open for lunch?

#27 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:16 PM

As you drive south out of town, it is about two miles south of the International Pier.

You know when your getting really close when you see FLY HIGH, and Gusto's will be up a little bit on your left.

They also have King Crab on the menu, as well as lobster, and have specials as well.

It is open in the afternoon, after 2 or 3pm.  

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#28 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:43 PM

Still need clarification.  Is it on the 'new', inland road or is it on the old coastal perimeter road?

#29 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

Really loved El Pescador.  It was like Chen Rio used to be and sadly is no more.

#30 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:15 PM

To get to Gusto's from say Calle 15...proceed south to Calle 11.  Turn right on Calle 11.  At Calle 11 Y Melgar, turn left.

Stay on Melgar out of town, past the International Pier, pass Purta Maya, and stay on the MINE road.  Do NOT go onto the old (scooter/bike) road.

Chen Rio lost it luster years ago.  

Anonymous

#31 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

I will put that on my list for my next trip in February.

Cindy

#32 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:33 AM

Albino's is still fabulous!

#33 Travelinman

Travelinman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:25 PM

In my opinion, you can not miss for dinner the Italian restaurant New Especias. Excellent Italian cuisine at affordable prices.  La Candela for breakfast or lunch, great style mexi / Cuban.

Mike

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NewEspecias

https://www.facebook...1067939?fref=ts

#34 Golden Gopher

Golden Gopher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Travel,Snorkeling,Food & Wine, anything by the lake.

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:08 AM

We are returning to the island. After gettiing our wings last February, we are anxiously awaiting a return visit. We learned a lot on our first trip and our approach will certainly be adjusted in 2015. We're down on the South end of the island in Residencias Reef so trip into the city have to be better planned. Because of the lack of evening restaurants near us, we'll be cooking a bit more at the condo. The best food item we enjoyed last February was the panuchos at Buccanos at Night. We'll reserve a Saturday night table for sure.  Kinta was also good choice. Our biggest disappointment was the Chocolateria Isla Bella. I thought the chocolate has a musty aroma to it...not our favorite. Lots of suggestions found here, so we are preparing our restaurant list. So much easier to get around now that we know the ropes. Time did not allow for a trip to the East side of the island last trip. We had been there  before on day trips from Playa and loved the views. With a better vehicle, we'll get to the wild side this coming year. Thanks for all the suggestions.

#35 JaxonD

JaxonD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Travelling

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:56 AM

I love El Coctelito great fish and shrimp tacos.. :)

#36 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:50 AM

Golden, for good lightly breaded shrimp tacos and tortas try El Camaron Dorado on the transversal or el Chino Marinero (sp) across from La Casona Real hotel.

#37 kc5tng

kc5tng

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Professional Drummer/Vocalist - FCC licensed Amateur Extra Class amateur radio operator

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:54 PM

My wife and I will be visiting Coz from Nov 4th thru Nov 10 - its our first trip and really looking forward to it.  My wife absolutely "Loves" Chile Rellano's - any places in Coz that has really good Chile Rellano's? I like ungreasy Taco's, Burrito's, Enchiladas and an occasional marguarita - A good Steak is nice - she prefers Filet Minon - I like Porterhouse, T-Bones and dont tell my VA doctor but I really "Love" Rib-Eyes~!  

So does anyone have suggestions - Need addresses in case we can walk from our hotel - Of course I suppose Taxi's can take us there but hate to get in a Taxi - ride 2 blocks and bingo - we've arrived~!

We are considering moving to Coz - but probably wont make a trial 4 to 6 month stay until mid or late 2015. I would enjoy meeting some of you "locals" over a good meal and a cold beer and get your take on what living in Coz is really like.

I know you're all jealous of me 'cause I can hear the "Voices" and you cant~!  Mwahahahaha

#38 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:30 PM

any places in Coz that has really good Chile Rellano's? I like ungreasy Taco's, Burrito's, Enchiladas and an occasional marguarita - A good Steak is nice - she prefers Filet Minon - I like Porterhouse, T-Bones and dont tell my VA doctor but I really "Love" Rib-Eyes~!

Yes, lots of places have great chiles rellenos. More than I could name, really. They even make tacos out of them. The best kind of chile relleno, which is available seasonally in August and September, is the chile en nogada, which has a complicated meat and fruit filling and is topped with a sauce made from unripe walnuts. It's amazing . Chile relleno means "stuffed chile" so there's no end to different fillings, and not all are battered or fried.

You shouldn't have to worry about greasy tacos since crispy fried taco shells are an American invention that hasn't made it to Mexico yet.

Burritos are also American, but there are now a couple of good burrito places on the island. I like Burritos Gorditos which is run by a Mexican who learned about burritos while living in the Chicago area then returned to Mexico.

Margaritas are also American, but you can get good ones everywhere. The tequila cocktail popular with Mexicans is the Paloma (tequila in a salted glass with grapefruit soda), followed by the Vampiro (basically a Paloma with the addition of sangrita [not sangria]).

Steaks in Mexico tend to be thin and chewy. The kind you like will be expensive and hard to find. Try Pepe's, Del Sur, and Al Pie del Carbón.

#39 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:38 PM

really good Chile Rellano's?

I was at La Choza 2 days ago and their daily lunch specials included a pepper stuffed with beef (chile relleno de res). OMG, was it good! Just every single thing about it was perfect. I would absolutely get a chile relleno at La Choza again if the opportunity arises.

#40 SunnyFW

SunnyFW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:01 PM

We went to Gusto's 2 years ago, I believe shortly after they opened.  The service was awful and the food wasn't much better.  I'm hoping they have improved since?  If so, perhaps we'll have to give it another try since there are so few choices on the south end of the island.

Love the Lobster/Bacon sandwich at Le Chef!  :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users