• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 CathyO

CathyO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:10 PM

What are the hours for Pescaderia San Carlos? More specifically, their hours on Sundays...can't seem to find this info anywhere!

#42 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:50 PM

The hours for Pescadería San Carlos are the same every day it's open (Tuesday through Sunday): when they're open. The sign says 7 AM to 5 PM but they more typically close around 2-3 PM.

#43 luvfish

luvfish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:33 PM

My very favorite Sea food resturant by far is El Coctelito .Love the new location down town by Forum shops. There fish is Fresh. Price is very resonable. Service is great and ocean view....what more can you ask for

#44 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:27 AM

Just got back from a week in Cozumel, and thought I'd add my two pesos (again) to this discussion. Ate lunches at La Perlita (Lionfish, of course), Pescaderia San Carlos (Sopa Mariscos and Grilled Filet with Garlic sauce), and El Moro (Pibil Negro), and all were excellent. I went to El Moro on Sunday looking for the Cochinita Pibil, and Ray told me that they make it only every other Sunday - on the odd Sundays they make Pibil Negro, made with a black anchiote paste, so I tried it -- it was AMAZING!!! A little spicier than the Cochinita Pibil (which is made with the red anchiote), but the flavor was outstanding. I used up all the garlic bread soaking up that amazing juice left on my plate. If I'm on Cozumel on a Sunday, I'll spend the afternoon stuffing myself at El Moro.

I had never been to La Chef before, but I read all the raves about the Lobster Sandwich, so decided to try it. It was NOT what I was expecting. A lobster, bacon, and cheese club like sandwich, made with three slices of a home made Rye-Whole Wheat Bread, with a Lobster salad that was a bit oily spead on the bread, with a soft white cheese (think fresh mozarella) and bacon. It was good, but a bit dense and heavy, and the bacon completely overwhelmed any flavor of lobster. It won't make my list of favorites. Also went to New Especias for the first time. Had the Gnocchi in Porcini Mushroom Sauce. The Gnocchi were dense and chewy, not light and fluffy like good Gnocchi ought to be. The Porcini Mushroom Sauce was good, the Salad was excellent, and the bottle of Valpolicelli we shared among 4 of us was excellent. I'll probably give it another chance, though Guido's and Rolandi's top my list of Italian choices on Cozumel (though I am NOT happy that Rolandi's makes its Pasta Putanesca with canned Ripe Olives, rather than Kalamata olives, and it goes far too light on the red pepper flakes). I think the quality of the cooking is starting to slip at Pancho's Back Yard - I've always liked that place, but this year my Gazpacho Frio con Camarones was bland and almost flavorless, while the Shrimp in my Shrimp in Orange Liqueur and Tequila were overcooked and rubbery. But I'll probably keep going back for the Platanas Susanna - a desert that is like a Mexican cersiin of Bananas Foster. I'm just a sucker for bananas cooked in brown sugar and liquor served with Ice Cream.

Also had dinners at Kinta, La Cocay, Casa Mission, Del Sur, and Guido's. None were a disappointment and all stay on my list of favorites. Though the guy at Del Sur got a little surly when we came in a group of 14 and all wanted separate checks. We had 17 at El Moro and Ray never batted an eye when we told him separate checks.

#45 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:02 PM

the guy at Del Sur got a little surly when we came in a group of 14 and all wanted separate checks.

Wow. Just try that anywhere in the US and see how that goes.

#46 pstearns

pstearns

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:13 PM

New to this forum, but looking for a good mid-afternoon restaurant. I am reading that El Moro is excellent. We ate at Panchos last time and it was great, but wanted to try something off the path this time. Does El Moro take USD?

#47 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:03 AM

New to this forum, but looking for a good mid-afternoon restaurant. I am reading that El Moro is excellent. We ate at Panchos last time and it was great, but wanted to try something off the path this time. Does El Moro take USD?

Sure, most every restaurant in Cozumel will gladly accept U.S. Dollars. But you can get an easy discount of 10%-30% by simply exchanging those Dollars for Pesos at a Cambio or Bank before you go. I don't remember exactly the exchange rate used by El Moro when I was there on December 10 - I use Pesos for pretty much everything except paying the Dive Op (or tipping the Dive Master), but if I recall correctly El Moro was using a rate of 12 or 12.5 Pesos to the Dollar. At a bank, you should be able to get 14 Pesos or better, at a Cambio, you should get at least 13.8 Pesos or better. So, even if you are only going to be on Cozumel for the day off a cruise ship, estimate what you are going to spend (say $8-10 per person for lunch at El Moro, more if you are going to get a few Margaritas with Lunch, plus an estimate of your taxi fares) and buy that much in Pesos from a Cambio. Taxis in Cozumel LOVE U.S. Dollars; and exchange then at 10-1. So you'll get charged $8 for an 80 Peso taxi ride. BUT, at 13.8 Pesos to the Dollar, paying the taxi driver 80 Pesos, instead of $8, only costs you $5.80, or a discount of nearly 30%. I really do not understand tourists who just want to avoid exchanging currency when there are those kinds of savings to be had.

BTW, I LOVE El Moro, and highly recommend it for great Yucatan food and friendly service. But it is far from the only local, off the beaten path restaurant in Cozumel - there are dozens. If you have a taste for great local seafood, try Pescaderia San Carlos, another real winner. Lionfish? Try La Perlita.

#48 VideoVern

VideoVern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 04:48 PM

I was going to comment that if you offer Ray at El Moro US Dollars, He will probably smile at you!  ;)

Skip (aka: VideoVern)

VideoVern (aka: Skip)

"Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

#49 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:05 AM

I was going to comment that if you offer Ray at El Moro US Dollars, He will probably smile at you! 

I don't think I'm following you. Are you saying that if you offer him pesos he won't smile?

#50 VideoVern

VideoVern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:31 AM

I don't think that Ray is capable of NOT smiling!  :D

"Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

#51 CGrover

CGrover

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Diving, mtn biking, relaxing on a beach

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:28 PM

I was going to comment that if you offer Ray at El Moro US Dollars, He will probably smile at you!  ;)

Skip (aka: VideoVern)

Is that a smile like what are you doing with foreign money or hey cool, I get to make some money on this US cash?

#52 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:13 PM

Just to be clear, I don't blame any restaurant for trying to make a bit extra when patrons pay in Dollars. It is my understanding (someone who is more knowledgeable on Mexican tax law can correct me if I'm wrong) that Mexico within the past two or three years started imposing a tax on businesses that exchange a lot of foreign currency. I understand that this tax kicks in above a relatively low threshhold of Dollars - maybe only $500 or $600 in a month. So, if a restaurant like El Moro takes in a large portion of its take in U.S. Dollars, which it must then exchange into Pesos in order to pay its employees and vendors, it pays an extra tax on the Dollars, over and above regular Mexican business taxes. So, it has to figure those extra taxes in to the exchange rate it offers to patrons who pay in Dollars. So save yourself some money AND save your restaurant friends the hassle and extra taxes, and just pay in Pesos.

#53 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing, college football, NFL & relaxing...

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:37 PM

I don't think that Ray is capable of NOT smiling!  :D

Amen!  Having eaten there many times, I have never met anyone in my life that can smile that big and you know in your heart it's genuine.  He dang sure makes you feel special AND remembers you if you've been there before.  He's a real piece of work!  He and his brothers are a good combination for real Yucatan food.  We take our fish there for them to cook.  They will cook it anyway you want it, but I let Ray make suggestions for the type of fish I bring (mahi mahi, tuna or wahoo, we release all bill fish).  The fishing boat owner, his family & crew always eat w/us and it's a good, relaxing place to be off the main cruiser area.

"We live in a culture of simulation, in which nothing is what it seems and the image that reigns has no reference to the real world."  (The Art Of War, Sun Tzu)  It is what it is...  THAT never changes.

#54 pstearns

pstearns

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 05:50 AM

Perfect!!! Thank you everyone. Looking forward to eating there and enjoying the atmosphere and the big smiles. Appreciate the comments...........

#55 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:42 AM

save your restaurant friends the hassle and extra taxes, and just pay in Pesos.

I agree. I don't think there is ever an advantage to paying in dollars and it can be a hassle to deal with for the recipient.

#56 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:08 PM

I find it incredibly interesting that this thread has been kept alive for almost a year now. That has to be a record!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#57 GDSmith

GDSmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 10:18 AM

Shouldn't be a surprise the thread has gone on so long, were talking food. :)

Where is the El Coctelito, and the forum shops?

Can anyone recommend good economicas near 5th Ave and Calle 7/9?

Thanks,

Greg

#58 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:08 AM

There aren't any economicas in your immediate area but several not far away.Las Flamitas (my fav) and Las Palmas (no like but others do) both on same side of the street and in the same block -- Avenida 20  Sur between Calle 5 and Rosada Salas.  And there's another very popular one whose name escapes me at the moment but it's pretty close to  your coordinates-- Walk south on Avenida 10, cross Calle 11 and you'll see it on your left about 3 doors from this intersection.

It's a bit of a walk and a tad more expensive than an economica for the big afternoon meal but I highly recommend  La Cucina Italiana on the corner of Calle 6 Norte and Avenida 15.  Italian food.  Lunch only.You choose what you want from platters of just prepared food laid out in the kitchen section of a room which seats possibly 25 people tops.  You get a sopa, aqua fresca entree and salad course.The cooks are a mother and daughter team. Advise getting here close to when they open at 1 PM while the food is still nice and hot and Mexican clients who typically eat later in the afternoon, aren't yet crowding up the joint.

#59 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:55 AM

I guess I find it interesting simply because so many restaurants are no longer here. It's hard to keep it current.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users