• 60 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

#2 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:49 PM

You are here on an FMM visitor card, marked as a tourist, which is valid for a stay of up to 180 days. The requirement is that you leave Mexico sometime before the permit expires. You can go home and get a new one when you return. There is no limit on the number of FMM visitor cards issued to any person during a year -- or over the span of many years. There are many people living here on these permits and this is the easiest and least expensive way to stay in Mexico legally.

However, the FMM permits limit you a bit. You may not care about these things, but here they are: You cannot get a Plan Local or a parks card and you can't work. If you were 60 years old, you could not get a senior discount card. Also, you can't bring in a big load of household effects into Mexico without paying duty.

You can rent an apartment, purchase and own real estate and a motor vehicle.

I'd say you're in an OK situation!

#3 Ali

Ali

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

#4 Ali

Ali

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

#5 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

Couldn't she actually dart over to Belize and back cheaper than flying back to Canada?

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#6 Ali

Ali

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:27 AM

From what I hear Belize is a somewhat arduous trip and I would only take that alternative for visa renewal if I was very low on cash and/or couldn't justify a plane trip out of the country and back.

I believe they now (usually) make you stay in Belize for a day or two before they'll let you back into Mexico with a new visa, for example.  Belize City is fairly dangerous and the resort town that's nearest to the border loses electricity a lot.  You also have to know how it works at customs.  I think there is a 'free trade' zone, for example, between the entrance to Belize and the entrance to Mexico and you have to know where to go and all that.

I would only try that gambit in the company of someone who has already done it, personally.and preferably speaks okay Spanish.  I believe they speak English in Belize, do they not?  In addition to Spanish?  But not so coming back into Mexico from there, your all important entryway.

All advice given by Deb is correct.  You should be good to stay until 180 days after the date stamped on your visa but check the visa and see if 180 is written on there somewhere just to be on the safe side.  In the old days sometimes they would give shorter term tourist visas unless you specifically requested a longer one but I am thinking -- but cannot completely confirm -- that 180 is standard now.  

I will add, however, that the term 'standard' can only be applied to Cozumel as -- standard=unpredictable so be ready for anything.

#8 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

Ali:  Where in Canada do you come from?  My husband & I are in the midst of moving permanently to Cozumel on Jan 25th.  I can help a bit if you're in the Toronto area and going to the Mexican consulate on King Street.  Send me a PM.

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#9 Ali

Ali

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users