11 replies to this topic

#1 Warren And Judy

Warren And Judy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:53 AM

Hi Everyone,

Judy and I have put our house on the market as of yesterday. We currently live in Houston, and will be moving to Cozumel as soon as the house sells and closes. We are excited, and scared to death!!!!  ;-) It has been our dream to move to Mexico for about 20 years. We like Cozumel as a starting point, but a bit concerned about the cost of living. We are both in our mid 50s, and will be living on our savings until we turn 59 1/2 to access our retirement. We plan on a budget of about 3,000 US per month. We will rent, then possibly buy. We are taking very little with us except some small sentimental items, and our two dogs. Still figuring out health insurance, or of we'll even have health insurance. We also plan on living on a tourist visa until we figure out exactly where we want to go in Mexico. We will continue to bank in Houston, and ATM pesos to pay bills. Most of our friends think we're crazy with a few excited for us, and cheering us on. We're tired of the rat race, and realizing that life is short. We are coming to Cozumel this month to try to find a rental for 6 months to a year. For those of you that have made the jump, does this sound like a good approach? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Warren

#2 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:11 AM

You might want to go back and read all the advice offered to other peeps wanting to live on Cozumel, but what you are doing sounds like a good plan.

Welcome to the board and welcome to the island.

#3 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:49 AM

Welcome Warren & Judy to this forum and to your future life in Cozumel.  We are moving there permanently on Jan 25th and know how you feel.  Check out all of my posts as I have asked all the same questions too.  We are coming with 2 small dogs.

PM me if you have specific questions

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#4 Warren And Judy

Warren And Judy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:09 PM

Thanks Betty. Who did you contact regarding health insurance? This is my biggest concern. We have other friends in Mexico that pay as they go, but this sounds risky to me.

#5 Ali

Ali

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

#6 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:52 AM

You are doing just what we did last year. Same worries, same problems. Works just fine. Health insurance is available here no problem there either except all policies carry a high deductable. What happens is that you end up paying for doctor visits, about 40 bucks a time and prescriptions out of pocket also. Depending on health this may or may not be expensive. 3k a month is plenty to live on , diving once a week maybe I dunno.

Where we get killed is having construction upgrades done to our house here. Up keep is constant and we like to pay more than most people as we are kinda dumb I guess, seems like there is Gringo tax we get hit with. Still other than feeling stupid every now and then it is a good place to be.

#7 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:56 PM

We will be getting our health Insurance with Irma Portilla de Cantarell who works for AXA.  She was recommended to us by Coz2wonder here on CMC.  We met with her in January 2013 and the cost for the 2 of us (57 & 58) including doctors, hospital, one dental visit and all prescriptions was very affordable.  That was the final piece for our confirmation to move here.  hillbilly is right though that the deductible is $500 US per disease.  

hillbilly:  So you pay for your doctor's visits & prescriptions out of pocket instead of through the insurance policy?

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#8 Warren And Judy

Warren And Judy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for the info gang!! We appreciate it!

#9 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:15 AM

Hi Betty, yes we pay for doctor visits and all prescriptions, you will also no matter who you have insurance with. Irma does have a policy that says after you spend x amount of pesos on any one disease and you are prescribed a particular medication to treat said  problem then the meds are then covered for as long as the problem continues.

We have some local friends that have the general hospital or Mexican resident hospital that have all meds covered and Doctor visits as well. We may look to that in the future as a supplement to our own insurance thru another agent here in Cozumel.

#10 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:35 AM

My dutiable is $500 usd's.  I had one claim, and have continued treatment based on that one claim which pays for my doctors visits, and medication.

This is major medical coverage only.

I have gone to the public hospital ONCE.  I can say it's efficient.

In my experience I was waited about 3 mins  to be seen by the doctor.  Saw the doctor that I could not communicate with, and was out the door with a scrip within 3 mins, and picked up a prescription when existing.

I would not personally go there as long as I had the funds to select my own care giver, and that I could communicate with, and we both understood what is being treated.

The cost of quality medical insurance is low.  The cost of not having it is very high.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#11 Warren And Judy

Warren And Judy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

Can anyone tell me if you can get AXA medical insurance as a U S citizen? I've tried to get a quote and it keeps saying its not available. I've also quoted Cigna global health, but they have a reputation for denying payment on most claims. Anything else available to U S citizen on a tourist visa?

#12 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:31 AM

I'm a US Citizen have have AXA heath and auto insurance.  LOVE IT!

You want to contact  Irma Portilla de Cantarell (as Betty suggested) for a quote.

irmacantarell@aol.com

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users