• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Freezin' Canuck

Freezin' Canuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:38 AM

My wife and I were walking along Avenida 10 between Calle 1 and 3 and saw an interesting restaurante (La Rumba)promising live music starting at 9. We decided to go back last night for dinner. I can't remember too much of the dinner (except it was good)because the music blew us away. A three piece combo that were so musically "tight" (percussion, guitar and trombone and incredible vocal harmonies), it was unbelievable, jazz, pop, etc. They asked for requests and I decided to test: "how about something from the Cuban Buenavista Social Club?" Before i got the word "Club" out of my mouth, the trombonist had the first notes played and the trio had launched into the best versions outside of Cuba. Each individual was a virtuoso, especially the young vocalist with an incredible set of pipes, and they fit together seamlessly. I was told they are going to be there for another four weeks. We'll be definitely going back. And the total price, including drinks for my new favourite band and tip ...$550 pesos.

#2 luvfish

luvfish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:44 AM

I wonder if they will be open tonight since its Sunday??? I too love the cuban music. Now I will go check it out. Thanks for the info

#3 jsmflake

jsmflake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel
    Travel
    Gardening
    Reading

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

Did you get the name of the band? We love live music, and would be anxious to try a new restaurant.

#4 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

Sounds great.  We will have to check it out.  Hope they are still there when we arrive on the 25th.

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#5 guerita76

guerita76

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:aimless wandering, writing, photoshop, trying to understand people, snorkeling, jumping off the dock at the palapita, making myself laugh and learning everything I can

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

Freezin' Canuck you have made my day! I read your post and had to take some time to it sink in. La Rumba is my husband's long time dream and my nightmare! After a decade of talking him out of it, we opened our doors last February and it has been a rough journey to say the least! He is the "young vocalist with an incredible set of pipes" that you referred to and he pours his heart into his music. The decision to open the bar/rest was actually made as bit by bit, all of the places that once supported latin music here on the island followed the money to music in English. We wanted a place where we could share our love of latin culture and music with the island and where my husband could have the space and freedom to let all of his talent loose! Besides his band, we have had groups from Cuba play with us as well. Unfortunately, we have had a very hard time finding the niche of people, like yourself, who have that awe for well-played latin music. There are times that I am just heartbroken as I sit and listen to the AMAZING music and watch crowds of people walk past the door without so much as a glance in. With bills to pay, desperation comes and I watch my husband lose his vision for the place as he discards what he wants for what he thinks will bring in money. So THANK YOU for your words, and for sharing with others. I just translated your post for him so that he can know that his vision is a good one and there are people out there who appreciate what he does. Our goal is to have quality live music every day and to be able to bring music from Cuba as well as other regions of Mexico and really let the culture shine. We just need people to come in so that we can start paying for the music! Thank you for the glimmer of hope that we can make this work!

Details for anyone interested:

Singer/owner is Angel Cano know locally as El Angelito de la Salsa

The name of the complete 7 piece salsa group is EFELESON https://www.facebook.com/efeleson and they play on weekends, check facebook page for days and times

The 3 piece combo that you saw consists of Angel Cano vocals, Jesus Alejandro "el niño" Perez who is Cuban born, lives in Montreal and is a pretty big deal (has written for and recoreded with the big names in latin music),and on guitar, cuban trombonist Marco Pachero

Please, anyone interested in latin music (salsa, son, boleros, chachacha, rhumba, etc) come and listen. No fanfare here, no touristy gimmicks, just a true love of culture and music. Right now, the trio or duo of Angel and Jesus will be playing daily at 8pm. Check our facebook page daily to confirm. https://www.facebook.../LaRumbaCozumel

Canuck, I am sending you a private message as well. Thanks again!!

#6 Eddie coz

Eddie coz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

What a wonderful response to the Canucks review of your restaurant and the music being played. We will be arriving in Cozumel February 8th for two weeks. Your place will be one of our first stops and we cant wait to hear the music and hopefully meet you and your husband. This forum is read by many people so hopefully you will be seeing many new faces at La Rumba.

#7 Silverspring3

Silverspring3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Travel...almost empty nesters, extended our vacation in Mexico from one week to two in 2014 (Cozumel) and hopefully longer in time..Love meeting new people and discovering all we can about the culture where ever we go...first time renting condo. looking so forward to it.

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:06 PM

Thanks Guerita76 for all that info. La Rumba is one of the places we intended to go to during our two week stay,,We are here now and will definitely be stopping by

#8 toba52

toba52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, snorkeling, travel.

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:25 PM

Guerita, 5 of us will be there in mid February, and we all love live music. Will take in your place for sure! HANG IN THERE!!!

Good God but it is cold in Canada!

#9 guerita76

guerita76

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:aimless wandering, writing, photoshop, trying to understand people, snorkeling, jumping off the dock at the palapita, making myself laugh and learning everything I can

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:09 PM

Thank you to everyone who has stopped in or plans to. And my apologies for such a dramatic response to Canuck! I'll blame it on the preganacy hormones. I will tell you though that my husband and the other musicians have been re-energized by the few new faces that have been popping in our doors. They are like little kids on Christmas morning every time someone comes in, they just can't wait to play. First time I have ever seen these guys start their sets EARLY! So thank you for your kindness.

#10 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:24 AM

I think we need to give you guys a free banner ad to help with publicity  Please give the exact location and landmarks to help me find it and I'll try and get some photos soon and put up a page for you on this site.  Hang in there.

#11 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:26 AM

That's nice, Carey!  We are going to try to make a stop there as well.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#12 TheOptimist

TheOptimist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

Wish I knew about this place in November. We love Latin/Jazz music. It will be a must stop on our next trip.

#13 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

Will check you out in May.  Love authentic latin music..............and good food!

Any pics of the place?

#14 Silverspring3

Silverspring3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Travel...almost empty nesters, extended our vacation in Mexico from one week to two in 2014 (Cozumel) and hopefully longer in time..Love meeting new people and discovering all we can about the culture where ever we go...first time renting condo. looking so forward to it.

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

Went Sat and Sunday nights ... Awesome , the waiter even remembered what we had to drink Sat. when we walked in Sunday..Band was soo good, Just the kind of music we came to hear.. Thank you, will make it in a few more times before we leave for home

#15 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

I see your address is avenue 10, between Salas and calle 1. That looks like the place that was originally remodeled for an Italian restaurant in maybe 1996-97? It has been vacant most of the time since. That should be a good location and be good for that downtown area. A good band on 10th is a very distant memory, Joe's Lobster was a long time institution, I rarely went for any night life after Joe's closed

Good luck with the venture guerita !

#16 Freezin' Canuck

Freezin' Canuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:44 AM

Hope they make it a success. Heading down to La Rumba again el viernes con amigos for another musica latina fix. The reason I'm living in Cozumel is to absorb Cozumel including its music. If i wanted to drink and absorb Canadian or US music (culture), I would stay north of the Rio Grande or in a bar in Canada and tolerate the Polar Vortex and minus 27 Celsius. "La Rumba" and what Angel and his life partner/wife ( and I don't know them) are attempting seems to be the real deal. Don't give up!

#17 toba52

toba52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, snorkeling, travel.

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:14 AM

Ahhhhhh.....tropical breezes, your family all round, new friends, and dancing to the sounds of sweet sweet live music,  and smiling happy people. What more could a person ask for? We will be there! 12 more sleeps! (and, ummm, yes....this posting MAY have been influenced by the ingestion of a small amount of rum!) 

Good God but it is cold in Canada!

#18 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:34 AM

Spent Friday evening at La Rumba...not only was the music fantastic, we surprisingly had a really good meal. It's a definate repeat restaurant for us now.

#19 guerita76

guerita76

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:13 PM

I think we need to give you guys a free banner ad to help with publicity  Please give the exact location and landmarks to help me find it and I'll try and get some photos soon and put up a page for you on this site.  Hang in there.

Hi Carey,

We're hanging in there, thanks to the kind words and support from this forum! It helps so much to know that there is interest and appreciation for the music that we offer and that we don't have to stoop to silly gimmicks or paying off taxi drivers to get people in the doors. We are realists and understand that a lot of people just prefer a more "American" scene, and are so happy to be reaching, bit by bit, the niche of people who are interested in latin culture and music. Of course, we'd love everyone to give us a try, but you just can't force "Guantanamera" on someone who wants to hear "Hotel California"...

So, yes, thank you for the chance to tell my sob story on this forum and I do hope to see you one of these days at our place. It is right on 10th, between Salas and 1 Sur. Just a bit down the street from Kelley's, on the opposite side, before you reach La Michoacana ice cream. Live cuban music with the duo of Angel Cano and Jesus "El Niño" Perez at 7pm tues, wed and thurs. Low key, lower volume, good for dinner conversation. Then on Friday and Saturday they start around the same time and other musicians gradually come and join in with the full band playing around 9pm. Full band includes piano, conga, bass, trumpet and Jesus switches to his flute and director of the group. Great energy and lots of improvising and jamming.

#20 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:18 AM

I'll be on the island the 2nd half of May - looking forward to checking this place out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users