• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 YoloCoz

YoloCoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:25 AM

Posted in a different forum, but probably should have posted it here. Does anyone know if there are ANY martial arts schools / clubs / gyms on the Island?

Thanks...

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:37 AM

There are several including a nice one on Calle 3 between Avenida 15 and Avenida 20 north side of the Calle.  This is in centro 3 blocks in from the waterfront in the center of town.  There used to also be one down by the cemetary on Avenida 10 and I think there is one in the gym behind the Pemex gas station which as at the corrner of Juarez and the 30 Avenida.

The fact that there are at least 3 in in my centro neighborhood suggests that there are plenty of others on the island.  Air conditoned they will probably not be, however. That would be where Ego Gym comes in and they might offer something like this.  Oh also check to see if something like that is offered at the place behind Guiditos Deli which is on the corner of Calle 10 Norte con Avenida 15 Norte.  They have a yoga studio, ballet classes etc and might just offer martial arts as well.  

#3 YoloCoz

YoloCoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:42 AM

Wow, Awesome Carey! Thanks for the very quick and informative response. I am surprised only because my networking in the martial arts community, which is very tight...I was able to find schools in Moldova, Mountain villages of Romania, and other obscure places with little trouble, but no one in the US, Europe, or Asia seems to know of any Martial arts schools in Coz. I am super excited to hear that there are a bunch! Thanks...

#4 YoloCoz

YoloCoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

Found the one on Calle 3 (Google earth) It looks to be an Aikido school, which is not far off from my style of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu...I might be in luck!

#5 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:55 PM

http://taekwondocoz.unlugar.com/  Jiu Jitsu Brasileño Cozumel   try Google search with those terms, but include the accented Ñ, that produced entirely different results than an English spelling letter N.

Por su parte, Raúl Canto, experto en Hap Ki Do, Tae Won Do y Jiu Jitsu brasileño, explicó que a diferencia de otras disciplinas marciales, el Sinmoo Hap Ki Do cuida la integridad de los detenidos, así como de los elementos que se ven obligados a utilizar la fuerza para someter a una persona que se resiste al arresto.http://sipse.com/arc...zumel-5729.html

ABRIL 2011 SEMINARIO INTERNACIONAL DE HAPKIDO

Pionero del Tae Kwon Do en la historia de Cozumel, Raúl Canto es uno de los maestros de artes marciales más respetados y reconocidos a nivel nacional e internacional.
Unico maestro en Cozumel acreditado para impartir cursos y seminarios de ...defensa personal, cuenta con múltiples certificaciones y reconocimientos internacionales en diversos estilos de combate como hapkido, kempo y jiu-jitsu brasileño.

#6 YoloCoz

YoloCoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

Thank you very much Charles! I had searched in Spanish also, but honestly couldn't figure out how to make the ~ above the n... I have contacted Senior Canto to develop a dialogue before I travel down. Thanks again!

#7 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:09 AM

Helser Edgardo Chacon Osorio is an instructor and has his own dojo (sorry on spelling) on Calle 5 between 25 & 30. His family owns El Moro and he works there at night. Great guy. You can locate him through Facebook using his name or Junpuu-kan Cozumel Centro.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users