• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Eddie coz

Eddie coz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:58 AM

Can someone tell me what the current posted exchange rate is at the ELEKTRA.  We will be staying within walking distance of the place and it has been very convenient for us.  Looking forward to visiting our favorite vacation destination again and getting out of this Michigan winter brrrr.

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:07 AM

The rates can change frequently during the day, but you can check their online exchange rates:

Banco Azteca is the bank inside of Electra which you will be using.  Take your Passport with you for ID.

http://www.bancoazte...ares/que_es.jsp

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 Eddie coz

Eddie coz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

Thank you for the website.  I was aware of the Passport for ID because we have used Elektra in the past.  But did not have the website info, thank you very much.

#4 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

Someone just told me that their exchange rates have been kinda crappy lately?  Not sure of the details

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#5 luvfish

luvfish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:37 PM

Rate was 12.10 today and has been right around that for week now.

#6 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

Ouch, that rate really bites! The interbank rate is above 13.40, I'd expect ATM withdrawals to be around 13.20 plus. The one time I changed money at a bank, the rate was below the casa de cambio rate. Banco Azteca used to be the highest rate for physical paper exchanges, but that's terrible.

Can anyone quote the rate given at Chedraui or Mega?

#7 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:47 PM

I just sent some funds south to a friend that arrived today on Xoom and got 13.04.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#8 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:01 PM

Banamex was $13.05 / $13.65 today.....: I got 13.55 on a Direct Deposit from the US!

http://www.banamex.com.mx/

You really need to shop around if you are exchanging a couple of $100 or more!

#9 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:31 AM

Banamex $13.20 - $13.80 at 8:30 am today.....!

#10 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

I never checked all of the available rates, but my experience over the last three years (granted, very limited experience, as I exchanged currency at most only 3 times a year) was that Scotia Bank had the best rates of those I checked in the area of the Plaza, and that Mega had the best rates of all if you used Dollars to make a purchase and got change in Pesos. Use a $100 bill to buy a couple of 6-packs of beer.

#11 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

Didn´t check rates at Mega today, but what you said will work...... I´ve used a $20 to buy my morning coffee, what I make on the exchange rate will pay for the taxi ride down if it´s raining!

#12 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

My .02 cents - Electra is not worth the BS of waiting in their line for ½ or 1 peso difference.  I could have exchanged at the allegro 2 years ago for almost the same rate... to me the convenience of not seeing electra out or waiting in their ridiculously long line would have been worth it.

“Corona con lima, Corona with lime... Todo el tiempo, hey all of the time... Con mucho gusto, I’m havin such a good time... Corona con lima, Corona with lime...”

#13 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:15 PM

We went to Electra yesterday and exchanged $400 CDN and didn't need a passport.  Got a rate of 11.53 and no line what-so-ever.  Then went to Scotiabank where we did have to show our passport and remove our hats & sunglasses.  Was surprised the rate was worse at 11.48.

Since Electra is closer to our rental house we will just go there.

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#14 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:17 AM

Yikes! I hadn't been paying attention to the drop in Canadian lately. That is not too bad a rate of 11.53, If you had made an ATM withdrawal you might have gotten 11.70 against the closing Interbank rate of 11.82. Proportionally, that is better than Elektra/Banco Azteca USD dollar rate of 12.00 vs. an ATM rate of around 13.00+. That low rate I would consider disgraceful.

The currency restrictions that went into effect a few years ago were aimed at the U.S. dollar with regard to the billion$$$ in cash floating around.

Changing paper money at a bank has been the worst rate, the posted rate seen at some banks is their deposit rate, entirely different than a walk in off the street rate. Banco Azteca used to be consistently the best rate as when you can see long lines in the evening at Juarez & 15th

Mark, to the casual, one week tourist it probably isn't worth being concerned. When you are looking at spending thousands in an annual budget it can really add up. Mexicans who might be getting only $65 pesos for a daily wage will gladly wait in line to get $100 pesos more exchanging $100USD

#15 beachbum53

beachbum53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:32 PM

Are there any new ATMs near the Plaza with card swipes or is the Banamex on 30th still the best place to get Mex$$ from the ATM?

#16 Valli

Valli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Travel, cooking, bike riding,

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

Neither ATM machines at the Banamex on 30th were working yesterday (Tuesday). A bank employee came out and tried both machines as well. No luck. Perhaps they have now been repaired.

Valli

#17 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

They stop working all the time.  It's Mexico.  The Banamex ones usually get fixed in 48 hours and usually a lot less

#18 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:53 PM

Scotia Bank may have swipe type machines. Their little cubbyhole ATM underneath Pepe's Grill was the swipe type, but did limit withdrawals to only $3,000 pesos. I avoid ever using ATMs at grocery stores, but there is a Banamex at Mega which might be even more English friendly.

Warning, if you need cash, it is almost the end of the month pay day.

#19 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:33 AM

The Banamex at Mega has never let me down so far and I use it quite a lot.  Unlike the one at the Chedraui which I stopped using four or five years ago.  And, yes, ithe Mega ATM t does have the English option, something not available at the 'chines in the bank itself on the 30 Avenida.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users