• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 SavageRose

SavageRose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:15 PM

Awesome website. Could anyone give me some ideas for cheap places to stay for spring break? The four of us don't mind sharing a hotel room if that's what it takes. Hoping to pay around $25 each. Any ideas? Basic is okay but for me its got to be clean.

#2 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:45 PM

What services do you want/ For economical, Hotel Aguilar on calle 3 & 5th avenue and Suites Vima on avenue 10th between calles 4 & 6, downtown, convenient locations, small fridge in room, cable TV, pool, two beds, AC, room prices average around $35-$40 a night and might be open to minor price negotiation (they give discounts for longer stays). That would be two rooms shared at $20 bucks a piece. Both are good central downtown locations, fairly quiet. Aguilar has wifi at least close to their office. Rooms might be a little nicer, larger at Vima and cost just a few dollars more than Aguilar. These are probably the best value for the price. Pay more and get more at other places. The few places cheaper are a good step lower in quality. Both places are close to numerous restaurants in all price ranges.

#3 SavageRose

SavageRose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:38 PM

Thank you. Do you think I should make a reservation ahead or can we just wing it with those places? And I forgot to ask if there is anything on a beach with a view that could fit four of us for around $100 to $120 a night? I guess that's too much to hope for???

#4 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:02 PM

Maybe the Villa Blanca? You would probably do best with hunting assorted discount hotel sites. Reservations probably would not be required for either Aguilar or Vima, but you might get a better price quoted in advance. I don't know if any of the downtown waterfront hotels would fit four people, like the Bahia or Vista del Mar and those only offer a view of the water. Villa Blanca is a nice moderate priced place with a decent beach across the street.

Beaches are not a strong point for Cozumel, the snorkeling is....sandy beach=poor sea life....rocky, iron shore means good snorkeling.

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:11 PM

I just checked Cheap Tickets, and they are listing beach front property within your price range.

You can book airfare, hotel, car, or you can book just air, or just hotel.

I use them a lot to book airfare.
http://www.cheaptickets.com/

Also if you google, "hotels, Cozumel" you will a list of many of the hotels that are available. You can also compare prices between Cheap Tickets and going directly through the hotel.

...don't rent scooters, buy trip insurance, and have fun!!

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 ez_stop1

ez_stop1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:20 PM

http://www.blueangelresort.com/
This is a basic, clean ocean-front hotel. Should be in your price range if you split it four ways. Nice pool area with sandy beach (manmade...but who cares) and decent snorkeling right in front of the hotel. Should fit your needs perfectly.

#7 beachbum53

beachbum53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:31 PM

Please let me echo Coz2wonder only louder...

... DON'T RENT SCOOTERS.

Vacations are best spent on beaches, as opposed to in hospitals.

ETA: Besides the covertable VWs are way cooler, seat 4 and are cheaper. B)

#8 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:51 PM

It all depends on what you want to do and how to spend your time. If you want to stay economical, consider the cost of taxis. The distant southern hotels, probably outside your budget anyway, taxi fares run $15 to $20 dollars each way vs $6-7 dollars in the northern hotel zone. Downtown and the others mentioned would be considered walking distance by most people, Villa Blanca less than two miles, Blue Angel closer.

It all depends on what you want to budget for food, transportation and recreational activities. A rental car will run around $50 a day for full insurance coverage and should be considered a must for 1-2 days to visit the other side of the island. You should not drink any alcohol and then drive.

#9 KarenE

KarenE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:46 AM

Hotel Aguilar has 2 rooms with 4 double beds in them for around $55.00 per night.

#10 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:47 AM

I've stayed at the Hotel Plaza Cozumel just 1 block off the water near the ferry pier. For some weeks in the next few months, they have rates of $35 per day for a room with 2 double beds, max people of 4. They also have a full hot breakfast included in that rate. I saw this rate on the www.travelyucatan.com site. It is certainly in the middle of the town action, within walking distance all kinds of bars and restaurants. One block from the waterfront, easy walk to Las Casitas beaches just north. And around the block from ISIS car rental where you can get a VW with all the taxes and insurance for $35 a day. Good luck on your trip planning.

#11 SavageRose

SavageRose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:47 PM

Hotel Aguilar has 2 rooms with 4 double beds in them for around $55.00 per night.

Wow! That's definitely in the price range and means we have more money to spend on food. Thanks everybody for all the tips. You are the best!
I'll check out the one on the water but this Aguila sounds like what we're looking for. Do you think I'd be safe just coming down and walking in next month? Or should we make a reservation ahead? What is the location? And do the rooms have fridges? So many questions. Sorry to be a bother but this really helps us out.

#12 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:05 PM

I suggest emailing them as you'll probably get a better rate than as a walk in. I think Mayte answers emails in decent English, but writing is very difficult to learn. The email address I have is hhaguilar@prodigy.net.mx Perhaps Karen will correct that as I know she made email reservations.
http://www.hotelaguilar.com/index.php It isn't fancy, but has long had a loyal clientele because of location, price and value. Great restaurant for lunch next door, Sabores open M-F, noon to 4:00PM only. All the rooms I have ever seen had fridges. One block from the water, one block from 24 hour OXXO convenience store. I would strongly advise against renting scooters while in Cozumel, not from them, nor elsewhere, rent a car for a day or two.

#13 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:23 PM

Aguilar does a fridge in the rooms but I think you'd like these hotels much more...they are on the water.
Villa Blanca, Hotel Fontan, Blue Angel

#14 SavageRose

SavageRose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:42 PM

I'll check them all out. Thanks a whole lot everybody. And I guess I'll have to talk the rest of my group out of the scooters. You say $50 for a car for the day? That seems high. But that's for 4 people. How much would 2 scooters cost for the day. Just curious

#15 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:52 PM

Two scooters will cost about the same as a car. Among all the assorted reasons to not rent scooters; they tend to be under powered and they are not always well maintained mechanically. Most rentals are the cheapest models available without much power. You might see a family of four Mayans on one, but in town and they're going 15 MPH. If I trusted scooters, I wouldn't ride one of these with two people on the highway. Even people that own and drive scooters at home often veto the idea of renting them here.

It is tragic when I see a group of four people renting scooters and they are all trying to learn to operate them. Probably the majority of the fatal accidents and those with serious injuries are with people that had no experience. But since people in cars run stops signs, you can encounter slippery conditions and unexpected road hazards, toss in a couple of good gusts of wind and even the experienced riders can crash and burn.

Most accidents are neither fatal nor result in serious injuries. Perhaps a bad case of road rash, minor broken bones might be the average. They might result in only $500 dollars worth of damages and medical expenses, but the rest of the trip is pretty well ruined.

#16 TheOptimist

TheOptimist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:37 PM

I'm another one that says ....Avoid the Scooters. Very dangerous and they can't possibly be comfortable ona ride to the east side and back. Like Dan B said ...check out ISIS rental on Av 5 just north of the square. Ask for Margarita - she will get you a good VW bug or car for $35 a day including insurance which you must have.
Enjoy your trip and be safe.

Mike

#17 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:45 PM

One of my worst memories was seeing a man sitting by the side of the road with his head in his hands, crying, with blood dripping down his face, with the ruined moped beside him. Ambulance was there. Recently, a girl wiped out in front of us on her moped, luckily the taxi driver behind us understood why we slowed down. We saw her wavering. Saw a couple at breakfast in matching cervical collars and knee braces - didn't want to ask.

#18 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:12 PM

Please let me reiterate what others have said - DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, OR AT ANY PRICE, RENT SCOOTERS. What will a Scooter cost you? Quite possibly your life. I won't go into the whole story, but I was in a Scooter accident on Cozumel in 1999 - 7 broken ribs, one punctured lung, one lost spleen, one Air Ambulance trip back to Dallas (at over $19,000), 10 days in a hospital, a bill for over $750 for "damages" to the Scooter (which was not hurt all that bad, and was certainly not worth even half that when I rented it), and life-long back pain because broken ribs almost never heal back in the same position they were in prior to breaking. And I was licensed to drive Motorcycles in the States, so I thought I knew what I was doing. Only when I got to the hospital did I learn that Cozumel sends anywhere from 10 to 12 American Tourists home in BODY BAGS every year from Scooter Accidents. Granted, most fatalities are from head injuries to people who thought helmets were unnecessary. But even if you survive because you wear a helmet, you will still forever regret the poor choice you made in renting that Scooter. JUST DON'T DO IT - get a Jeep, a VW, a Dune Buggy, anything with 4 wheels; if all else fails, spend the money to hire a Taxi for the day, but DON'T RENT A SCOOTER.

#19 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:46 AM

There are plenty of scooter accident stories, none positive. Minor or serious injury to deaths. It's truly not worth the minor savings of renting a scooter vs. a car. You can get a similar affect of the wind blowing in your face with a convertible VW or a jeep.

I can't tell you the number of people who've paid $600-800 for the damage to a rental scooter. Whether major or minor, if you have an accident, you can pretty well figure that you'll be buying the agency a new scooter.

The helmet law instituted 3-4 yrs ago has probably saved a few lives. The problem is that when you rent the availability of sizes is limited, so getting one that fits properly is a cr*p shoot. Besides the fact, some people put a hat on before the helmet and others don't hook or adjust the chinstrap. Flying down the road at even just 30mph with our strong winds blowing, helmets do little good as they are nearly flying off your head. They barely protect, unless properly fitted.

Save your vacation and your life, rent a car.

#20 AvianQuest

AvianQuest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:38 PM

Ditto all the warnings about not renting scooters/mopeds.

Most of the larger resorts in Cozumel have a no-spring-breakers policy but the smaller hotels and B&B's are easy and cheaper. Cozumel is very laid back and is nothing like the wild night life that Cancun is known for. But you will love Cozumel and it's clear as air waters. Lots of things to do and see here.

Invest $12 by ordering this map/travel guide as it will make everything easier and more enjoyable for you...

http://www.cancunmap...ozumel_map.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users