• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Idahomojo

Idahomojo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

I was wondering if anyone had info on the best places to beach dive in Cozumel.  I will be doing some boat dives with a local company but would also like to do one or two on my own.  I snow some of the fins are long but myself and my partner are physically fit and don't mind the exercise involved with a 500 yard surface fin.  I am a 25 year diver, a SCUBA instructor for the local fire dept/water rescue team, and am comfortable in the water.  If it is not possible to surface fin out does anyone rent small zodiacs or other inflatables? There will be a few of us and we are fairly capable.

Are there places or persons that would rent reliable gear for the week?  Is it worth it to pay the baggage fees to bing my own gear down?

Just FYI we have driven to PDC and ferried over to Cozumel 3 times in the past and have done some beach diving.  We also towed a boat down once but those trips were back in the day before kids and all.  They were magical.  We are just dying to relive a few of those magic moments.

- Greg

Bosie, Idaho

#2 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:55 PM

The island is not known for shore diving. There are a couple of spots where people do discover scuba, but it is really novice stuff. For night dives they might be fun. Maybe. To swim out to the main reef is not a good idea at all. First of all, you are not familiar with the reef system. Secondly, the current. There is a reason we dive the way we do.  You are not allowed to pilot a boat in the park. There are some killer areas to shore dive up North on the East side (lots of sharks), but you would need a guide and a dune buggy. The trip is difficult.

Cozumel Diving

#3 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

There are some killer areas to shore dive up North on the East side (lots of sharks), but you would need a guide and a dune buggy. The trip is difficult.

New business idea?  Once a week trip up there at a premium price.

#4 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:07 PM

It is a really nasty trip. But yeah, people might go for it. Once a year up there for me is more than enough.

Cozumel Diving

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users