Photo

Where Do You Find The Best Selection..mega Or Chedraui?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 sherrintxs

sherrintxs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

We have never been anywhere but the Mega on every trip.  I keep hearing Chedraui and it is so packed is why we never try.  I just wanted to ask, where you feel the best selection is or where you go the most.

Thanks in advance!!

#2 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

I really think you need to check them all out. You might have a dozen recipes in your head that you would like to make but you need to check out all the sources to find out if the ingredients are even available. Some stores might have part of what you are looking for but others might have the rest. It's always good to do an inventory of all the stores. Here one week and gone the next. It's also a good idea to stock up on something you use regularly because it might not be there next time.

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

As Steve points out, there is no such thing as "One Stop Shopping".

I like Chedrui's because they have the most "american" type items in the store.

I get meats, and fish at Mega, and SAM's.

At the Mercado (public market) maybe I would get veggies, maybe fish...I just don't care for the place.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:32 AM

I shop mostly at the Mega.  But if they don't carry something I am looking for or it's out of stock, I'll drop by the Ched.  They have better pricing on a lot of stuff also -- like wine.

Recent examples -- they have a rather extensive tea collection including a wide variety of the Celestial Seasoning herbal teas, Stash and Twining -- much more than is available at the Mega.  The Ched also had cottage cheese yesterday.  The Mega had NO cottage cheese of any brand or variety available in the store on Saturday.  Ched had it.

I don't use their bakery, fish or meat department but the produce section often has better looking stuff than the Mega particularly on Wednesdays.

Time to hit the Chedraui is before around 10:30 AM any morning or between 3 and 4:30 in the afternoon.  Also avoid the first of the month and the 15th as that's when people get paid and also late Saturday afternoon, another time people get paid and are starting their weekend free time.

#5 sherrintxs

sherrintxs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:38 AM

May I ask if Ched also has a line like Mega does for us that can't speak Spanish?  We always pay in pesos, and understand and can talk Spanish very little. 

#6 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

There is an English line at Mega?

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#7 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:55 PM

One of the reasons I use Mega first is they have a small group of people who wear t-shirts that say in English (I can help).  I wander the store until I find one of them and they become my personal shopper.  I show them my list and they take me to the aisles where my stuff is.  They have no such people at Ched or San Fran/Aki, or Soriana (other places I stop by when I have some time and want an adventure exploring the shelves).

#8 sherrintxs

sherrintxs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:54 AM

cvchief, every time we go in we go to the line marked basically saying English is spoken at this checkout.

#9 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:25 AM

Interesting.  I am so intent and figuring out which line will move the fastest, maybe I never noticed.  Then you blow it and pick the line with the 'problem guy' asking questions and having issues....

I have to say though, Mega is REALLY friendly and helpful.  There is always someone around.  In fact the very first time we went to Mega, we had a friend along who blew out his flip-flop.  (there may or may not have been a pop top involved.)  We swooped into Mega and right away a guy offered to help.  Lead us to the flip flops and all, helped us check out.  Wonderful fellow.  (Do you see it coming yet?)  Turns out he was the timeshare guy who works the front there.  He latched onto poor Jerry right after checkout.  We bailed on him and waited downstairs hoping for the best and that he wasn't the new owner of a deluxe model at bargain prices.  Happily the guy let go without much struggling.  Still, as timeshare people go, Mega seems to have some of the nicest of them too.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#10 beachbum53

beachbum53

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

Does anyone know if either store carries Cafe Bustelo or other similar espresso ground coffee? I'd rather buy it down there than packing my own.

#11 Regiomontano

Regiomontano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

You really have to go to both to find all you need, but my favorite is mega.

#12 VideoVern

VideoVern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:50 PM

Interesting.  I am so intent and figuring out which line will move the fastest, maybe I never noticed.  Then you blow it and pick the line with the 'problem guy' asking questions and having issues....

Tell me about it!  Last time I was at Mega, I got behind Steve!  :rolleyes:

Skip (aka: VideoVern)

VideoVern (aka: Skip)

"Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

#13 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

Tell me about it!  Last time I was at Mega, I got behind Steve!  :rolleyes:

Skip (aka: VideoVern)

Well how long does take to scan one pack of Sol and then hit the repeat button 10 or 12 times?  (He is still going daily right?)

:P

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#14 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

We do have a line for fewer then 15 items.

10153720_634117633310283_445391583097116

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#15 Pirata Canadiense

Pirata Canadiense

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:57 PM

Soriana is closest to my house, so if I need something I'll always pop in there first but in many instances (particularly regarding produce), I feel like the name is an apology....   "Sorry Ana, Mega and Chedraui got the good stuff today!"  I prefer to go the (little) extra distance to Super Aki most times.  Other than that, it's Ched and sometimes Mega. 

#16 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:11 PM

We really do try and price shop them all, especially when looking for electronics.
Chedraui had the best price on a DVD player. We also found an incredible deal on a 700 Watt blender...no one else on the island had anything close.

#17 sherrintxs

sherrintxs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:31 AM

We did wind up going to Chedraui a couple times in June.  I was blown away by their bakery dept.  Even found clothes and water shoes we liked. lol  Hubby said from now on, we go to both, he also wants to try the others we saw back off the main drag.  I do know next trip in June 2015  I am stocking up on my vanilla strawberry tea I found at Mega.

#18 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 04:04 PM

The bakery's here are the BEST.  You found clothes?  Are you a size zero???? 

I can find tops at Cinco Soles, but never, ever shorts or pants.

Anonymous

#19 sherrintxs

sherrintxs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:35 PM

LOL Don't I wish I was a size 0! lol  It was an XL.  I also found some great stuff at Los Cinco Soles, my favorite shorts I bought there 2 yrs ago and I thought I could find another pair in June, no luck..found the shirt to match them, but did not buy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users