Help....need Some Questions Answeredfrom People Who Know

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 kayla1girl

kayla1girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:travel,reading, legal thrillers, mysteries,research walking,meeting people, learning new things, animals working with rescue groups, cooking, decorating

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

Hi everyone, know I am at the right place to find the answers to my questions, been reading forum for several months now am very impressed with 

forum  people are courteous , gracious ,and  most of all helpful. Been in Cozumel for 5months moved from Belize ,originally from New England glad we made the move,but.....now we have to cross the border into Belize to get another 180 days for our visa,we cannot apply for our residency visa till we go back to USA in fall .We have a vehicle here, but want to rent one inPlaya to drive into Belize, spoke to Irsis in Playa said I could across border into with Belilze ins. to be purchased at border, that ok, but wandering if you can leave vehicle in the parking lot at customs and just take a cab over the border? still do not know time frame needed to stay in Belize have had many comments " cross over come right back to 72 hours" also been told need a permission letter from car rental company to say ok with them to take over border I'm sure this question has been presented before and probably answered ,I more than likely have read it several times myself, but sometimes  I forget :( Question # 2 where is there a transfer station in Cozumel ,Question #3 can you pick up USA tax forms in Cozumel maybe at the consulate ? Thank you all for any help you can give me, certainly will appreciate , Hope to meet some of you sometime that would be wonderful :rolleyes:

#2 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

Another point to consider - I remember someone on this forum mentioning that they did this 'visit Belize to reset their tourist visa days' thiing and found that they had gone only into the 'tourist' area of Belize and it didn't count.  They said they had to go further into the country before it was considered 'leaving mexico and coming back in'.  I may be mistaken on this but would some else comment on this.

#3 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:24 PM

There are two of you? And the legal status of your vehicle (does not need to be answered if you don't want to advertise it publicly!)? I ask regarding the vehicle if that too needed to renew a 180 day visa.

Are you opposed to taking the bus? Mexican bus service is two steps above typical "Novelo's" service and Belice City is now served by ADO, the big and much better than Greyhound dominate bus carrier. I have a friend taking the ADO bus from Playa next week to Belice City. I didn't see the bus listed on the ADO ticket site, but this link quotes Jan '13 price of $496 pesos.  http://www.islandexp...ize-city-cancun

ADO service between Playa and Chetumal costs about $300 pesos. A taxi to the border might run $50 pesos. Did you only want to go to Corazol? In order to renew your visa for another 180 days, Mexico requires that you exit the country. There has never been any requirement that you be outside Mexico for any length of time.

What I encountered in Belize a handful of years ago was the most corrupt and threatening situation by government officials I have ever experienced. That is a pretty strong statement if you knew my history and adventures in areas with strong travel warnings issued by both the U.S. and the host country.

I needed to see someone in Belize City, fortunately briefly. Upon entering Belize I was asked how long I intended to be in their country. I said a short time, I'd spend the night in Corazol and then take the bus in the morning for a lunch appointment I had around  noon. Customs stated that I would only need then three days? Yes, I replied, "if it goes smoothly, I'll probably return tomorrow". No problem, three day visa.

I lucked out, completed my errands and by chance returned just in time to catch the last bus that was going all the way from Belize City to Chetumal. The whole affair was a set up by Belizean Customs hoping for a chance at extortion upon my return.

I didn't know, but I probably might have gotten away with skipping the exit stop at the Belizean Customs. Turning in my visa I was hit with, "but this visa is for three days, you have only been here for 24 hours". Yes, I accomplished my mission and now I am returning. "No, you need to stay two more nights". "We're tired of people exiting Mexico just in order to get a new visa". I was confronted by three uniformed men, armed, two of which were fingering their holstered side arms. Oddly, these were the only three "Anglo looking" men I had seen and the only ones that spoke English fluently without any accent. They looked at my passport and stated that the three day visa I had been given the day before was from noting that they could see that I had been living in Mexico over the years for extended periods. On that particular visa which I had surrendered to Mexico, it did have two months left and I did intend to remain for another three months. My purpose of the trip was not for a visa, but I did have that two fold accomplishment in the back of my mind. In a threatening standoff that they were demanding $300 USD (while rubbing their gun holsters) I finally pulled out three $20 dollar bills and put them on the counter and said that's all you get. I'm leaving now. I had considered making a run for the border and I think they would have shot me in the back.

If I was to go again, I'd be tempted to just talk with Mexican officials and then go into the Free Trade Zone for lunch and come back with plenty of time to catch the ADO bus that would give me enough time to catch the last ferry back to Cozumel. If you aren't experienced with Mexican bus service, you really should try it. It would be so much easier in so many ways and probably far cheaper too.

My opinion of Belize is poor, I think it was of major benefit to Guatemala to be rid of their "Eastern Province". There is no way I would consider being responsible for a rental car. Bus service is so easier and so much safer, economical too.

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:38 AM

I searched Yucalandia site for info, but lots of info if your doing the Belize to Mexico import on importing foreign car. 

I did find a current discussion on Lonely Planet that will be useful as to how the process works, and how to avoid the pitfalls.

Many folks have done it with little or no drama.  Be informed, and I would be prepared to stay 3 days, just in case they do not process your Mx Tourist Visa right away.

http://www.lonelypla...hreadID=2331065

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

if your vehicle is foreign plated, and your here on a tourist visa, your vehicle needs to leave the country as well.

I would read info posted in Yucalandia.com on how that process works

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 kayla1girl

kayla1girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:travel,reading, legal thrillers, mysteries,research walking,meeting people, learning new things, animals working with rescue groups, cooking, decorating

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

Thank you Charles certainly do agree with you  I do not even want to think about crossing over the border again, but need to make a choice maybe Guatemala Border would be easier don't know Coz 22  great forum you passed on , but still a conundrum what direction  to go in , actually car was bought in Belize and has a Belize plate,when we came over border told since only going to Cozumel a car permit not required, unless we wanted to travel around Mexico with car then we needed permit a little confused <_<

#7 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:36 PM

Normally you are supose to stay in Belize for 3 nights but my friend always gets her new 180 day tourist visa at the border in Mexico. She doesn't even go into Belize. I believe it costs her an extra $800 to $1000 pesos to expidite the process. Personally I enjoy going into Belize so 3 nights there is no problem. You might consider taking the bus or your vehicle to Chetumal and taking the water taxi over to Ambergris. You will end up paying an exit fee to leave Mexico then another fee to leave Belize and another to enter Mexico again. All total around $100 US not counting hotels and food. 4 1/2 hours by bus, 15 minutes by taxi to the pier, and 1 3/4 hours by water taxi.

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

" actually car was bought in Belize and has a Belize plate"...it's still a foreign plated car from another country, in another country.

You might get along just fine, but then again...

Do you have INTERNATIONAL insurance?

I am not trying to give you a hard time, but the laws have changed.

Anonymous

#9 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

Oh boy! There is no requirement that you be outside of Mexico for a period of time. Your car is probably totally illegal! If you checked those earlier links, they pertained to people having problems entering Belice. My problem was in leaving Belice. I've traveled in and out and all around the Zapatista war zone when things were really hot. Had my papers checked, dozens, perhaps hundreds of times at machine gun point in Chiapas. I traveled in Peru and Ecuador in places and times that were not generally recommended for the faint of heart. Never have I felt the confrontation and attitude I experienced at the Chetumal/Corazol border crossing. Mexican officials were wonderful as usual. My opinion of Belice/Belize, it is the most third world place I have experienced, but there are indeed some wonderful people and natural treasures.

My info regarding the no time requirement came from Monica Sauza. Your car might have been legal crossing into Chetumal, but sorry, that situation scares me. It could be a major complication.

I would strongly suggest contacting Monica Sauza, a person that stays very current on all things related to immigration law including any quirks that may exist in Cozumel. I'd want her advice and real good valid insurance before even starting the car. I suggest a taxi going to meet her.

Contact info: Monica Sauza       telephone 872-5394

email: mosag@prodigy.net.mx

#10 kayla1girl

kayla1girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

Hey guys ,spoke with Irma 2 months ago when international expired, insured with a Mexican insurance (Qualitas) went over everthing with her,will be contacting Monica for immigration info,  Irma said car goes along with your visa,right now a tourist , instead of going to Belize just will go to Miami and start our paper for residency,right now it sounds pretty good,ya think......retiring is not easy:-)

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:39 AM

Irma is correct...your visa expires in 180 days, and so does your permit to have the car in Mexico.

It goes were you go.

As a permanent resident, you can not drive a foreign plated car.  Depending on the age, and where it was manufactured,you may be able to import it into Mex.

We had to have our foreign plated vehicle removed from Mexico because it was to old to import, and we have PR status (legally you couldn't have a foreign plated vehicle if you had the old FM2's).

If you apply for Temporary Residency, which you would renew (I think) once a year, then you and the foreign plated vehicle will be okay (for now at least).

Seek advice from professionals who are in the business of immigration and also in regards to your vehicle.  We can give you our experiences, and knowledge, but that won't fly if you encounter a problem and  say "I read it on a forum that I could".

Anonymous

#12 kayla1girl

kayla1girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:57 PM

Coz totally agree with the professional being the way to go, but it's still good to bring questions up on a forum,different ideas, answers love the feed back

#13 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:37 PM

Steve:  What do you mean by

"You will end up paying an exit fee to leave Mexico then another fee to leave Belize and another to enter Mexico again. All total around $100 US"

You have to pay to leave Mexico and then pay again to re-enter???

Thanks

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#14 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:38 PM

Mexican Nationals and permanent residents(RPs) do not pay exit tax when leaving Mexico, they do pay when leaving Belice to return to Mexico.........., both can enter and exit the Zona Libre(Belice) with no exit taxes...., tourist will pay when exiting Mexico and Belice. Many years back we did the "flag pole" with no problems...., also got new visas without leaving Mexico(we always carried small gifts in our passports) and told Mexico that we found Belice muy oscuro, I´m not a racist, I have many friends of color in Belice, but it work with migración. 

#15 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:10 PM

I'm really not sure why I had to pay when I left Mexico but while in customs at the pier in Chetumal they told me it was a new law and that to continue on my journey I had to pay the exit fee. The people I were with that had their Mexican residency didn't have to pay. I tried to argue with them stating I had already paid my fee in my airline ticket. They then wanted me to go to a bank in Chetumal and pay the fee and bring back a receipt. when the last boat for the day was leaving in 30 minutes.I didn't have time. I decided it was easier to pay the fee right there this time than miss my connection. It was only $400 to $500 pesos. There are times you just have to bite the bullet and pay. On the way back I again had to pay an entrance fee of around the same price. No one else had to.  I even tried to show the airline when I left the receipt of the fee I paid so they would deduct it off my ticket but it didn't work. I was going to persue it further when I got back home but by that time it didn't really make any difference one way or the other. I had made the same trip 4 times before and this was the first time I was charged. You do have to pay $37.50 BZ dollars to exit their country but nothing to enter. Next time I might just bypass going into the custom's office and just get on the boat. When I come back I will still have my Mexican tourist card and might be able to walk right down the pier without going through customs. It's not a big deal but sometimes costs more money than you expect. The Free Zone of Belize is open to anyone at the border. You don't even hit customs until you have passed the Free Zone. Not sure if any of this makes sense but if you exit Mexico be prepared to maybe pay an extra fee.

#16 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:22 PM

Steve when you go to Belice, you are leaving Mexico...., you must pay a departure tax....., when tou reenter Mexico you get a new 180 day visa, you may want to check on a MEXICO MULTIPLA ENRTY VISA, I´m sorry I don´t know all the rules that protain to these, but some friends have used them.

#17 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:59 AM

Yes, the last time I checked, Belice was not a part of Mexico, gratefully so, I don't think Mexico would have them. The assorted governmental fees are included in your airline ticket costs. It's a lot different when you enter by land or ship. The FMM, the tourist card/visa costs around $270 pesos, don't quote me. The border crossing gets so much back and forth traffic by locals, they aren't always staffed, nor accustomed to issuing visas. You might get out without paying and you might have to hunt someone to provide you a visa when entering. When they issue a visa, they are used to collecting the fee.

Like along the northern frontier, many cross over and within a 22 kilometer border zone, you don't need a visa. It just could be hell to pay if you proceed farther without the necessary documents.

#18 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

I don't think they really know what they are doing anyway. The first time I left Belize I was only charged $7.00BZ. I figured they charged different fees depending on how you left the country. The 2nd. thru the 5th. time the fee was $37.50 BZ. The same as leaving by car. The first three times entering Mexico by boat I wasn't charged anything. The last 2 times they charged me a fee. I have also left Mexico by car and entered Belize many times and haven't paid a cent to leave Mexico or come back in. I don't care if I have to pay. It's not that much money. I just never know if I will be charged or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users