• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 80fly

80fly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

Has anyone rented from the Hertz at the airport. I can get a very good deal through Delta with Sky Miles awarded but I read a few negatives at TripAdvisor. Really nervous about arbitrary charges, unfounded damage claims, the insurance, etc. Staying at Secrets Aura so I would hope the vehicle will be safe there overnight(s). Want to explore the East coast and the rest of the island so a taxi would get very expensive. Please adise  :)

80Fly

#2 Freezin' Canuck

Freezin' Canuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

Same story as you. A while back, seemed like a good deal when I rented with Hertz on line. Then when arrived here at the airport, asked if i wanted insurance. "Of course" as you absolutely must have insurance here. Then found out the insurance quote was as much as the rental rate. Talk about feeling blind-sided. Already paid for the rental by credit card so had to have insurance for at least one day, and rented their car for JUST the one day; used it to go see John at the Barracuda (Less Pay) and got a two week rental-car and insurance-for just slightly more; dropped the Hertz car off the next day and Less Pay picked me up at the airport and two weeks later came to the house and retrieved their car at the end of my contract. Have had good luck with car rentals here since whenever I've needed a vehicle, but I will NEVER do on line with Hertz again. Maybe I was a one off, but burned once, twice shy.

#3 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

All of the name brand car rental agencies are the same, completely independently owned franchises. They pay bucks for you to be able to do online reservations with the false assumption of the same benefits one might expect in the States or Canada. Wrong. There's some great deals and discounts booking online, sometimes $75 dollars a week or less. But you're a fool if you fail to purchase insurance which will run minimally $25 dollars a day or more. Typical rental rate is well below the insurance cost.

You must purchase liability which should be disclosed in the reservation process. If you fail to purchase the additional collision you still risk a life changing event if ever involved in an at fault accident. Heaven forbid, but if at fault in an accident with injuries, you additionally can expect to pay for lost wages which no insurance will cover. Remember any alcohol consumption will invalidate any insurance regardless of what your blood alcohol reading may be. Various agencies will sell you or include full insurance with zero deductible. Some choose to rent from Isis whose insurance is 10% deductible. It may not cover problems with tires or stolen back seats, but fine for minor dents and scrapes.

I wouldn't give too much weight to reviews on TA, but they do provide good food for thought. Good quick thinking on your feet Freezin' Canuck for the one day rental. I don't mind paying too much for just a single day, there is the factor on convenience. And I like John too.

#4 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:57 PM

I can't speak from first hand knowledge as I have never been in an accident down there. I do know that when this topic came up before about lost wages I got in touch with my insurance company about the lost wages issue. They didn't really know much about it but said they would pay anything the court ordered them to pay. I guess that is the best you can do. I couple of days ago I renewed my policy as it expires on the 15th. of this month and bought the highest coverage they have since laws have changed. The cost was $406 for the year. That won't work for rental cars now but their is an insurance company that will insure you on your rental car for around $7 or $8 dollars a day which is about 1/3 of the price of the rental agencies. You can count on at least double the price for a rental car with insurance.  I will have to look and try to find the link. Definitely get insurance on the vehicle even if it is from the company you rent from. Years ago you could get a policy for the driver that would insure you in any car you drove. It's getting harder to find now.

#5 Freezin' Canuck

Freezin' Canuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:24 AM

Just so there's no confusion, I have coverage for damage to the CAR through my credit card, BUT it does NOT extend to coverage for other parties if i am in an accident and someone is hurt. That is the life changer that Charles is talking about...so you must have comprehensive/liability that is valid FOR MEXICO and be able to produce it if, heaven forbid, you are in an accident..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users