• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Markandrebecca

Markandrebecca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

Hello! :). I am wondering if anyone will be headed to Costco in Cancun in the next couple of weeks? If so, would you be willing to pick up a bag or two of dog food for me? I will give you the money for the food, of course, as well as pay you for bringing it. Please send e a message if you are willing/able to help. Thank you! :)

#2 cozumelmx

cozumelmx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:00 AM

We go to Costco with our van once or twice a month. Not on a schedule but as needed. We check the monthly sales and then plan from there. Our van is always full but their is always a little room. Maybe we can help. Doug cell 987-112-8608

#3 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:04 AM

Does this Costco also sell the dried liver treats and chicken jerky strips like they do back in Canada?  

Does the ADO bus go to Costco?  Or what is the cost of a taxi from PDC to Costco?

Thanks

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#4 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

Does this Costco also sell the dried liver treats and chicken jerky strips like they do back in Canada?  

Does the ADO bus go to Costco?  Or what is the cost of a taxi from PDC to Costco?

Thanks

Betty

Take the bus from Playa to the Cancun central bus station and cab from there to Costco. Then do it all backwards. It is much more cost efficient than taking a $60+ cab ride each way and you can haul more stuff oon the bus.

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

I am not sure but I think it is a little faster to get off the Playa to Cancun bus at Plaza de las Americas mall which is about 5 minutes from the downtown bus station.  They regularly stop here and 4 or more people get off.  Taxis are waiting in front of the mall and will take you to Costco.

Don't try to hail your own taxi back to the 'terminal de autobus' as you'll never get one, she says speaking from experience.  Have the muchachos out front get one for you and give them a well deserved tip.

As to what they have or don't have in the store, it's just like here on the island, you can never know for sure unless you have a report that's come in from just a few days before.  

Tiny pieces of hot dog work okay as training treats.  And one of my dogs will work for multigrano cheerios.  The other turns up her nose at such a low grade yummy.

They sell beggin' strips at the Mega which is soy based but not too bad on the fat -- way better than hot dogs.  But they are more of a pain to cut up into tiny pieces.

I bring dessicated cat liver treats from the US.  Never seen them down here but if they have them at Costco....I also may be in the market.

#6 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

Thanks everyone.  At home they had their kibble or frozen/raw patty but then they also got dried liver treats and/or chicken jerky (both from Costco) and sometimes duck jerky wrapped aound a dried piece of sweet potato.  Spoiled kids. Right now they are getting kibble and Joe is cooking liver we bought frozen at Mega.

We just went to the pet store on Juarez and bought a bag of the weight management for small breads by Eukanuba. Will mix it with the Akana weight control food at lunchtime. I think they are so much more hungry here they will eat anything.

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#7 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:17 AM

Carey is correct. Costco is closer to Plaza Las Americas than to ADO Central. But for the return, you need to taxi to ADO Central as the bus doesn't stop at the mall on its southern run.

Getting off at Plaza Las Americas, cross to the mall and catch a cab there -- or use the R14 bus (7 pesos) for Home Depot. There are taxis waiting where the ADO stops, but they are much more expensive than at the mall across the street!.

At Costco, the taxis must be hailed from the street as Carey says. Leaving Home Depot, you may be able to grab a taxi at the entrance but more likely you'll have to walk next door to Soriana, which has a sitio.

Taxi fare should be 40 pesos or less from Plaza Las Americas to Costco and from Costco or Home Depot to the ADO terminal. Fare is 5-10 pesos less from Home Depot to Costco. However, more often than not when you ask the driver the fare, he will request 50 pesos per leg...

#8 cozitsnice

cozitsnice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:relaxing, singing, friends, my dogs, adventure, entrepreneurship, reading, laughing, coffee

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:18 AM

I have put my dogs on a chicken, veggie and chia diet. I buy raw chicken from the butcher and have them cut it up in very small pieces. I have a large dog and a mini Yorkie. The both LOVE the raw meat which I give them with the bones. Raw bones are ok for dogs it's the cooked ones that splinter. My large dog is very allergic to any and all grains so I had to take a lot of time to get their diet straightened out when I moved here. I just throw 4 eggs (with the shells), some carrots and zucchini (or broccoli) and some chia seeds in the blender and make a thick liquid mixture. I then put some chicken pieces and some of the liquid mixture in their bowls and they devour it. The have never been so healthy and active in their lives. Also, I've found that feeding them this diet keep them trim and healthy looking with nice coats. It's very economical as well since the whole chicken runs about $38mx a kilo. It sounds like a lot of work but it's actually not. I blend up the liquid mixture about once a week and then I just buy the chicken as needed. Going to the butcher for the chicken (the Mercado works as well) ensures that the chicken if fresh and hasn't been refrigerated or frozen for long periods of time which I have read is not good for dogs. It's definitely a process to get dialed in when feeding the dogs a healthy diet.

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:50 AM

I guess you import the chia seeds?  Or are they available here?  And the ground egg shells would supply the calcium -- and also the bones.

I also feed my dogs a home made diet.  But I'm not as dedicated as you are time-wise, CozitsNice.  Kudos.

My little dogs come to a total of 15 lbs between them. So I can get away with cooking them up a chicken,turkey or meat loaf every 10 days or so.  It would cost a fortune if they were large dogs because I use butcher-ground chicken baked in a loaf with baby food carrots, unsweetened applesauce, plain tomato sauce and dry oatmeal.  Plus 1 teaspoon ground eggs shells per two cups other ingredients.

My dogs stuff down their food also and have lots of energy.  I think they'd do even better on your diet but I'm too lazy and too chicken (is that a pun?) to try it.

I know we're getting off the Costco track a bit with this one but since the poster is asking about dog food and treats, it does bear mentioning that that's a long, boring trip to the Costco in Cancun and back lugging a heavy load of dog food.  So anyone who wearies of this to the point of desperation, start another thread on making your own dog food.

#10 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:12 AM

Carey,

I'll bring the tortillas and beer.  What time is that loaf served?  Sounds tasty.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#11 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:13 AM

I'll tell you one thing -- it smells a hella lot better than the dry dog food you can buy down here which always has kind of a rancid fat aroma to me.

In the states I would never go to this trouble and expense as there is so much prepared stuff available.  Here the choices are exceedingly limited.

#12 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

So do I need to bring my own habanero or you got a bottle?

:P

(I couldn't help myself.  Them some happy pooches.)

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#13 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:00 PM

Cozitsnice is the one with the happiest pooches, I think.  I'm too selfish to go to that kind of mess and trouble.  She is a better dog mommy than me.

#14 cookielady

cookielady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel, animals, reading,travel and friends

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:53 PM

I don't think I can agree with you on the above statement.  I mulled some things down for you last year for those precious pups and I saw first hand how spoiled and loved they are.  Looking forward to paradise in 13 more sleeps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users