Telcel Info Please

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kayla1girl

kayla1girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:travel,reading, legal thrillers, mysteries,research walking,meeting people, learning new things, animals working with rescue groups, cooking, decorating

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

Hi everyone, quick question any Telcel store on the island that might have an English speaking rep tried the one in Mega did not work out too well :(

#2 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

Depending on the day or the time of day there is a young man that speak a good level of english at the outlet in the lower level of MEGA, also at the main store on Calle 2 there is a lady that speaks a good level of english.....! 

#3 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

Totally agree.  We went to the Telcel below Mega in November and the only guy there named Victor couldn't speak English.  Even with our Mexican friend to translate we could not get a SIM card to work in my new Samsung Galaxy S4.  We moved here in January and went back to get a SIM card for my husband's old cell phone.  No problem.  Victor was there but this time we had another guy who could speak English.and then we thought let's try again for my phone.  BINGO.  No problem what-so-ever.

So keep trying.

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#4 kayla1girl

kayla1girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:travel,reading, legal thrillers, mysteries,research walking,meeting people, learning new things, animals working with rescue groups, cooking, decorating

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:24 AM

Thanks Betty, will try again the last time the guy that was there struggled to get phone working with card , will try again, otherwise might go to Playa where they have a bigger center , that's whart  I have been told. Went to the one on calle 2 yesterday asked about English speaking everybody said no :(

#5 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

The main difference isn't size but that there is an official Telcel client service center in Playa del Carmen. The one on Calle 2 Nte is only semi-official and there are several things they can't do.

If you're trying to get a non-Telcel phone to work with a Telcel SIM, the biggest hurdle is getting the SIM slot unlocked. An unlocked phone should, by definition, just work when you insert a functioning SIM. If it doesn't, that usually isn't the carrier's (Telcel's) problem and is more likely because someone (the carrier that originally sold the phone) put a subsidy lock on the SIM. We've always gotten our US phones unlocked before going to Mexico. We haven't even needed the phone with us when we got SIMs.

#6 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:09 PM

Totally understand but my phone was unlocked.  We were told in November that Telcel but the "lock" on their SIM card.  Any whoo it works now and I am a very happy camper. I use it all the time.  I didn't get data as it was way too expensive for this retired person.  I just use free Wi-Fi where ever I can get it; which is a lot of places.

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#7 kayla1girl

kayla1girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:16 PM

M Stevens, thanks for info, I see you are from NH lived in Jaffrey, Peterbourgh area  went to Monadnock community hospital, retired to Cpzumel

#8 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

M Stevens, thanks for info, I see you are from NH lived in Jaffrey, Peterbourgh area  went to Monadnock community hospital, retired to Cpzumel

I live in Hancock and work at MCH. I've been at the hospital since 1995, so it's possible I might know you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users