Photo

Cozumel Real Estate-Cozumel Capital Real Estate?

real estate homes renting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tax_Accountant

Tax_Accountant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

Hello all, I am a long-time lurker, reading all of the "moving to Cozumel" posts. I'm a tax accountant in the US trying desperately to become an ex-pat. My husband is a Mexican citizen and we just took a trip to Guanajuato (near Salamanca), so there's no culture shock for me, I grew up on an island in Europe so a rustic, beachfront life is very amenable for me.

We own some property in GTO, but my dream is to own a small place near the beach in the Yukatan, and Cozumel seems like a wonderful compromise where we can buy outright because of my husband's citizenship status.

I've read everyone's suggestions to first:

1. Visit first,

2. Rent second,

3. Buy last

We are planning a trip in April, dragging our young kids to the island. I contacted Cozumel Capital Real Estate (Rita, specifically) after searching Craigslist for weeks. Does anyone have any other suggestions on where to start, or stay where we can get a feel for the real life here? The hotels are all pretty affordable for us, but I'm not sure that a hotel is the best way to get a feel for the real living on the island.

Thanks! especially to Coz2Wonder, whose posts I have been searching and reading. Very informative!

#2 sanddiver

sanddiver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, cooking, hiking, learning new things, meeting new people, adventure, loving my partner.

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:08 PM

I bought my place from Cozumel Living and they have done a outstanding job for me.  The rented out my place until I was ready to move in - and have been helpful in recommending all types for trades people for the work I have had done.  They are a joy to work with.  They even check in with me periodically just to see how I am doing.  They also rent vacation rentals and long term rentals.  I recommend that you check with them as well.

#3 Freezin' Canuck

Freezin' Canuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:16 AM

I suppose it's a question as to how much time you have here in April and beyond. Having a spouse that is a Mexican citizen and can speak Spanish is a definite plus to getting the feel for the place and potential places to buy or rent and... market forces and trends in real estate, etc. There is a lot of real estate for sale (and rent), some through realtors, some not. Your sequencing advice above is definitely correct: visit, rent, buy. Cozumel to me is wonderful, but is not for everyone. Neighbourhood, neighbours, services, culture; and what you want is something only you can assess and over time. Obviously, buyers have a specific interest and sellers (and their reps if any) have another as to price, deficiencies, etc. Caveat emptor! Took more than fifteen years to find our perfect place (and we used a realtor or we wouldn't likely have found our spot) and a number of false starts before our final plunge. Glad we didn't plunge on some of the recommended places we looked at earlier. There were always hidden aspects that only time revealed and although I understand the sellers interests and the fact that their agents were trying to represent their clients as they could, we didn't want to buy someone else's problems. So far so good and nothing to change our opinion that Cozumel has that feeling of "home", but that's just us and even then there are still a lot of considerations. Fortunately, we've had a lot of help along the way, including on this blog. Sign me: "Gratefully Paying It Forward".

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:07 AM

My husband Greg is an agent with RE/MAX.  

He has written an article, and keeps it updated on purchasing or selling property in Cozumel.

It's not a sales plug for him, but a good foundation to build your knowledge base on.

Page one is about the island, page two is the details on purchasing and selling of property.

http://www.cozumellandlikegold.org/

The number one thing you should ALWAYS have is a LAWYER.  Protect your ASSets in any major transaction(s).

Thank you for your compliment.  We're all here to share what we have learned over the years.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 Tax_Accountant

Tax_Accountant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:05 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it.

And thanks for the referral, too, Rita never contacted me back (I emailed Tuesday, so a few days isn't that bad of a response time, but still... I will contact your husband). I have been researching Costa Rica quite extensively, too. I had a really nice email conversation with the author of "Happier than a Billionaire" (the author quit her job stateside and moved to Costa Rica with her hubby and wrote a book about it. Cozumel looks to be similar in the way of life, at least from what I've read. And it would be easier with respect to residency because my husband is a Mexican citizen.

Now I just have to find a nice little rental by the beach so we can check it out in person.

#6 Tax_Accountant

Tax_Accountant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

Okay, I contacted Nancy at Cozumel Living as sanddiver suggested. I tried looking for contact info for Coz2Wonder's husband on the website listed, but there's no obvious contact information that I could see, or a footer on the page? I got an error message when I tried to click the email address link on one of the pages, the email address had several dashes in it (--) like this.

Any help?

Thanks,

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 07:22 AM

It's good to look at all the real estate sites, so here is the RE/Max one:http://www.cozumelenventa.com/

His RE/MAX email is:greg@cozumelforsale.com

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#8 Tax_Accountant

Tax_Accountant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:02 AM

Thank you!

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:30 AM

I would recommend Greg also.  We've worked with him before and find him refreshingly honest and forth-coming.  He is who we have used and will continue to use for any real estate work here on the island.  Nice guy, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users