10 replies to this topic

#1 hegerfelda

hegerfelda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

Hello!

We are planning a family vacation in May.  I'm having a hard time finding things to do on Sundays in Cozumel.  We're planning to spend the evening in the Plaza as other people have recommended.  I'm wondering about the Punta Sur Eco Park.  I'm finding confilicting info on whether it is open on Sundays or not.  Does anyone know?  Also, does anyone have any information on the lagoon tours in the park?  I have only found one mention of it in a blog and I can't find anything "official" regarding availability and cost.  Thanks so much!!!

Amy

#2 Freezin' Canuck

Freezin' Canuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

Can't tell you whether or not it's open Sunday, but took friends there last month and the drive in took at least 30 minutes past the gate as the potholes in the road are as big as craters. Crawled in at about 5-8 mph so as to keep everyone's kidneys intact. Better check to make sure rental car companies will rent for Punta Sur. My last rental specifically asked about Punta Sur(it's about their shocks and suspension). By the time we got to see the lagoon and the lone crocodile, hang a hammock at the restaurant and eat a brief lunch, time to head back and another 30 minutes on the moonscape before closing. The road needs a serious upgrade considering it is quite lovely when and if you get there.

#3 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:18 PM

According to their Web page...., CLOSED ON SUNDAYS!

http://www.cozumelpa...p/punta_sur.cfm

#4 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

Sunday is a great day to go to a southern beach club as that is the day there are (usually) no cruise ships. The beaches are not packed with cruisers and the day, in my experience, is very quiet and leisurely.  Conversely the East side will probably be crowded with local families as Sunday is a traditional day off. There's plenty of beach but parking can become an issue.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#5 hegerfelda

hegerfelda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

Well fiddlesticks :(  Thanks for the info, everyone.  I guess I need to do some schedule shuffling. 

#6 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

Sunday is the day we head to Buccanos. No cruisers, and a beautiful setting, good snorkeling.

And we know from experience, Punta Sur is closed on Sundays.

#7 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:04 PM

In low season (may) all the "parks" are closed on Sunday.  Chankkanab, Punta Sur, etc.....   at least for the last 3 years.

#8 hegerfelda

hegerfelda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

well, I think we've shifted things around now so that we're going to Punta Sur when it's actually OPEN.  (we're renting a house so we have a little flexibility)...so now my question is...if we spend Sunday at a beach club, does anyone have any favorites that they would recommend?  Buccano's was mentioned...I've looked and there are a LOT of beach clubs!  Or are there any we should avoid?  We are a family of five...two parents...a 20 year old, an 18 year old and a 13 year old. 

#9 zman96

zman96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

On a Sunday any that are open should be great and uncrowded.  Buccano's, Playa Palancar, and Mr. Sanchos are our favorties on the west side of the island.  

#10 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:53 AM

We had a blast last Sunday afternoon at Playa Azul with their live band.

Cindy

#11 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

Bucannos and Playa Azul are my favorites.  No mexirap or loud announcer guys.  Just nice Mexican music and very relaxed ambiance.  no water toys or activities for the most part.  Buccannos does have a climbing thing and some wave runners if that kids like that stuff.

For all the big waters toys and stuff the clubs on the other side of the island are the place to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users