• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Pirata Canadiense

Pirata Canadiense

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:17 AM

Hi all.  I've been to Cozumel a couple of times (was just there a few weeks ago actually) and fell completely in love with the island.   The first time I was there I said it felt like "home".   Last month I said "I'm home!" upon arrival and when it came time to leave,  I cried like a baby on the plane as we taxied away from the building.   I have made several good friends there and have recently partnered with one of my friends in business. 

My mother is retired now and is planning on moving there as well.   Though interestingly enough, In speaking to the consulate - when she informed them she meets all criteria listed, the lady at the Calgary consulate said to her that just because she meets criteria "...it doesn't mean you'll get the visa".  :blink:   I'm truly hoping she was just cranky or trying to be difficult with my Mom for no legitimate reason!   Anyone have difficulty getting a temporary visa even though financial, etc. criteria were met?   My visa may be more of an issue - but time will tell.   The Toronto consulate called to answer my inquiries but I haven't been available.  I will call them tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Either way, we are already booked to come back Fat Tuesday to look at some houses we've already checked out online and for me to hammer out some business details/legal schtuff.   Excited about that (the houses mostly LOL!).   I even saw a realtor recommended here that I may contact as well since we still need our own there. 

Enjoying reading through the forum and seeing all the tips and advice!

Adrienne

#2 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:58 AM

I hope you're sure planning on a minimum six month trial basis before burning any bridges or dumping a cash bundle on something not liquid. Not to rain on anyone's parade, but actually living full time on the island, learning how to manage and deal with the quirks, most would agree there is a steep learning curve. If you're considering business and actually working, I hope you have very solid legal advice from a qualified attorney. Worthy too of consideration is the health care system you'll be leaving, among the best in the world vs. Mexico which is not always to North American standards.

I'm not sure of your visa question. If everyone is Canadian, you'll automatically receive 180 day visa, no application required, fee included in airline ticket.

If you are trying to jump to one of the assorted resident status "visas", why? About 98% of the people who wind up making successful moves to year round living, still make trips "home" a couple times a year. I know people who lived for decades on simple leave the country before the end of 180 days and return with a fresh one. If you have been to Cozumel a couple of times, if those visits were less than 3-6 months each, you haven't had even a taste of life in Cozumel. The diving is good, but almost impossible to make any money in the diving business. Divers who retire with adequate incomes soon find that diving becomes a low priority activity and their days are filled with the common, everyday activities of living in the real world, not being on fantasy vacation.

Again, I do hope you are planning on renting first, six months minimum, a full year would be better. It will take you that long to learn questions to ask that no realtor is under any obligation to inform you of or necessarily answer correctly. You're on your own in that respect, you aren't in Alberta anymore and a long way from Ontario. See how you like the seven month summer when the heat index feels like 45C at 9:00AM and you've changed your shirt three times before noon.

Pay for some qualified, unbiased advice on legal issues, residency, taxes etc and then sign up for a trial run, Good luck.

#3 Pirata Canadiense

Pirata Canadiense

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

Nope.  Torching the bridges and doing the happy dance...  :D  I'm sure lots will disagree, however, my move and business are possible because I am completely willing to sell everything, uproot myself and take the chance.  If I weren't, I'd be sitting here the rest of my life broke and miserable.  Ontario is no longer a viable province for me and frankly, I have no interest in anywhere else in Canada.  I'm not naive, I understand it's a big chance I'm taking and that I'm moving to a completely different country (different standards, lifestyle, system, etc).    I get it.    I've spent a year (off and on) researching this, it's not a spur-of-the-moment decision and as I mentioned, I have some good (local) friends there.  I have seen what it's like for them and have spent a lot of time talking to them about the move (and personally spoken to expats as well).  My mother has her own reasons for making the leap, though she is considering renting for 6 months to start.

As for the visa question, it was simply asking if anyone had difficulty aquiring the visa (temp or permanent) even with meeting requirements...and told more or less, 'just because'.  I found the Calgary consulate woman's response to my Mother odd.   Personally, I'd prefer a temp visa (good for 4 years) so I wouldn't be required to leave every 180 days.  That's a pain and not conducive to having a business to run and a child in school plus I have no reason/interest to come back and visit every 6 months...

As to making money, my partner is already an established independent Dive Instructor in Cozumel and I already have an idea what to expect for income and I'm on a scuba forum that shows interest in Cozumel diving is alive and well (as are the good dive businesses).   I have also made aquaintances with an American expat who owns a diving boat, he's certainly working regularly.   I'm not sure why you are referring to retired divers...?   If you mean me, I am 45 years old and far from retired and our business caters primarily to tourists to the island and area. 

Not really concerned about the weather...LOL!  Don't know when you were last in Ontario but the humidity here in Summer makes a shower a complete loss many days.  You're covered in sweat before you've even left the house, so what's the point?   Personally, it's the cold and dry I can't stand any longer.   I'm happy to cruise around here with my windows down and no A/C on when everyone else is whining about the heat/humidity...but the cold?  Forget it...and I look like a raisin in this dry air :wacko:

In my experience, I tend to be a far more flexible personality type than most...so honestly, I'm not too concerned about changes.  Big or small.  I'm completely expecting them and to be frustrated at times learning how to deal with the things that come up.  I'd be pretty stupid not to. 

Thank you for the advice.  I do appreciate the input!

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:57 AM

Please review the steps necessary to obtaining a Temporary, or Permanent Visa here.

You can start, purchase, buy into a business here, but without working documents, you can not sign any documents, you CAN NOT WORK in the business, you can't even answer the phone.

You must meet the minimum requirements of financial independence, then start the process in your home country FIRST to apply for residency.  Once you have met the basic requirements, and your documents have been approved in your home country, then you would proceed no later than 30 days to start the process here.

From what I am hearing it's taking months to get the documents processed here.

List of  Mexican IMMIGRATION ISSUES and KEY TOPICS:

http://yucalandia.co...mexico/#General Summary of the Steps for Getting Residency in Mexico

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

There are no special requirements for getting a 180 day visa to stay in Mexico except a passport from your home country.  That is itski.

As to a more permanent visa, you now have fewer choices.  There is no such thing as this 4 year visa you mention. As Paula has already stated, If you stay here long and/or wish to work or own a business you will have to get yourself qualified as a residente permanente.  Plan on that taking some time.  I expect there is a fairly lengthy waiting period before you even qualify to apply.  Then it is taking months for the permanente cards to go through the system for some reason.  

I was lucky enough to get mine very early in the new program.  I have friends who have waited more than 5 months after applying in October of 2014.

It is totally illegal for you to work without that kind of visa status.  And one thing about down here?  There is a whole lot of jealousy.  Especially by Mexicans who resent it if they see a gringo business competing with and doing better than they are.  There will be people here, competitors, who will be only too delighted to turn you in if you are caught even answering the phone at 'your' business without the proper creds.  And then it may be fly out time for you.  As in you might be lucky enough to get a couple of hours to gather your stuff.

I find myself slightly exasperated with your lackadaisical attitude about moving here after only a couple of brief visits. I think you are underestimating the job.  But I can only hope things go as well for you as you hope and we will try to give you advice as best we can.  Because you're going to need it.

#6 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

Although I know and have heard of dozens and maybe hundreds of cases that just didn't work out as hoped, I offer this little tidbit. A couple decided to pursue their dream of living in paradise and the ultimate for a scuba enthusiast, investing and being part owner of a dive shop!. They were confident after 20 years of several times per year visits. They had numerous friends and the ideal dive shop looking for an additional partner. (maybe with someone's else's money, we could pay off the back due bills and with someone to answer the phone, I could take a vacation for once in years). I thought the person should have been ashamed for taking such advantage of people whose rose coloured glasses clouded reality.

They spent close to two years planning the big move. Sold their business, sold their home, reduced all their household goods to bare bones as they were moving to paradise. It took all of three months before the slow steady spiral of gee, maybe we underestimated this situation. They had gotten a decent deal on a house with a significant price reduction as it had sat on the market for a few years. The long and well planned move to paradise, to live out the dream lasted all of six months. Evaporated was only about $150,000 and with luck, the house might sell within a few more years at only a 30-35% loss. That was one hell of a vacation, a thousand bucks a day, but having to work like dogs too with no time to enjoy any of it. Then they wound up back where they started, but no home, no business, their former life wiped clean and having to start over from scratch. This was the higher tuition going to school costs.And this was a story that would rank above average compared to many. As they say, want to open a business in Cozumel and have a million dollars after your first year, best to start with two million, but more would be better.

I know the long time dive shops, the handful that were the first to operate. And then the second wave that to their credit, have managed to still be around after 20 years. Then there are those still struggling, but somehow gasp enough air to have made it past a ten year milestone. And then the dozens, hundreds, thousands of the rest of the dive shops fighting, struggling to carve out a little niche for themselves. I know a number of places that might rate as doing OK, a small minority, but I doubt anyone could say they are doing well, not with a straight face.

The deck has long been stacked against foreigners doing business in Mexico. All kinds of extra taxes, accounting measures, super restrictions on just what and how they can operate. Now due to the recent tax and immigration law changes, some of those unfair obstacles are being reduced, by grossly increasing all the responsibilities, taxation and extreme accounting measures required of Mexican owned businesses. Now Mexican owned business are facing equal, if not worse than what used to be exclusive of either larger corporations or foreign owned businesses. Small family owned mom and pop type business, which used to be the cornerstone of Mexican tradition and culture are facing a serious day of reckoning. The very, very minor 5% increase in IVA so screamed about, the very least of their concerns. That just brought the border States into the same sales tax structure as the rest of the country.

Sorry, but scuba is far from a growing sport that it enjoyed for decades. There's too many extreme, adventure sports in competition that require little travel. The Internet has helped to put numerous dive shops out of business across North America as merchandise can be purchased online cheaper than what wholesale cost might have been. The days of Texas dive shop organised Splash groups flooding the island with 800-1000 divers during the Fall slow season is a long distant memory. The "pie" of potential divers have been stagnant, while the number of dive destinations and the operators that compete for the clients have grown exponentially.

Now if you are like a few of the local shops that set up, "trust fund babies", it sure helps if you have a sugar daddy, or a trust administrator with a stack of blank checks that can sign the checks and fill in the amount later. If you can afford to drop a big bundle without a care or concern, God bless you. Do make sure you come with at least a round trip ticket.

. .

#7 Pirata Canadiense

Pirata Canadiense

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:38 AM

Wow.

Here I thought I was just posting a basic "Hi there!   ...planning a move, been researching it for a year."  I appreciate advice, I really do - but please don't assume you know anything about me or my attitude/aptitude from two posts.    In my books, solid advice = good (GREAT actually)...but throwing a bunch of assumptions/judgements out there under the guise of 'helping' = not welcome, or even helpful.

If nothing else, I have learned a lot from this forum, even when I was not a member because honestly, there is some great info on here...but I think I'll stick to lurking from now on. 

#8 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:18 AM

It is called reality check. What do I know, I only have benefit of 20 years of watching the show in Cozumel. My wife, 12 years additional before my time. No one could ever have a clue about the complexity and restrictions of Mexican laws and especially the most extreme regulated dive industry in Cozumel. My wife used to be involved with the successful scuba promotions, back when they worked. Then there are the quirks and closed nature of Cozumel society. It would help if your boyfriend is at least a third generation Cozumeleno.

Check with the attorney contact I sent you, she can suggest a good accountant. Then you can start to sort out immigration issues and restrictions. I started from scratch, slowly built a business that grew to provide us a comfortable life, living as Mexicans, working like Mexicans. I had less than $1,000 dollars to my name with never an intention to actually live in Cozumel, it just evolved. I had benefit of kind, very experienced people that opened some doors and warned me of pitfalls. I had benefit of support from immigration that liked how I conducted myself. I paid my dues. I traveled into the heart of the war zone in Chiapas when no one else would. I could say I made every effort to be good for Mexico.

I know the major players in the cruise ship trade and know the whole history of evolution of what that market did to the economy. I can even remember when downtown was vibrant, a bustling economy. Store locales had waiting lists of eager occupants and rents were affordable. Why do I care, well, it makes me sad and I feel somehow, there's still so many people that deserve better.

I have watched wave after wave of people with rose coloured dreams, many taken advantage of, some gave it their best shot, some miscalculated, some suffered personal changes, but every train wreck complicated and "polluted the waters" for the next wave of prospects. Look at the over built housing market which has turned into a giant money pit. Look at the hundreds of people that decided to retire here, but gee, after I enjoyed my fantasy vacations, I didn't expect to have to deal with these realities. If only I had known, if only I had honest advice, words I have heard too many times.

Read Scuba Board. You'll find many of the regular posters actually come here for a week each or every other year. You'll find them an excellent source of encouragement. Do they have a clue? Well some have actually met their dive master's families and even had dinner at their homes! If you want to talk reality and perhaps help get saved from wasting tens of thousands of dollars, it may not be gentle, but you'll save yourself a bundle, have benefit of not repeating the same mistakes made by many. It is to your benefit and actually, if you benefit, it is good for the island.

Suit yourself, honestly my concern was for your mom, without knowing, I hope she wasn't burning any bridges she later regretted. Moms are special.

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:08 AM

I hear ya, and sometimes when you have a goal in mind, and you are bombarded with what you perceive as discouragement it can get old, fast.

I hope you can appreciate that what has been shared is not discouragement, but experiences that some have gone through.  Some have gone through much more than others.

It certainly is a challenge buying a business.  That is the case anywhere.  What makes this somewhat different is that you also need to overcome the immigration issues first.

You are also investing in a highly competitive business, but if your partners are well established, and have a stable following then you have a BIG PLUS on your side.

You would never go hunting without being prepared.  The same applies here!

Best of luck to you, and I truly hope you reach your goal.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#10 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:34 AM

I cannot stress enough how important it would be for you to come down and spend at least 6 months here before you burn your bridges.  Make that one change to your plan, then come on down and prove us wrong.  But if by chance the dire predictions based on past histories of crash and burners turns out to be your ultimate fate, you will have something to go back to.

Truly we are kind people and we are trying to help with no ulterior motive whatsoever.  Between the 3 of us  we have nearly 45 years of experience living full time on the island.

Talk about getting  info from the horse's mouth.

I know it must make you very angry that we're not giving you big, helpful pep talks as you seem to have expected and possibly received from other discussion forums inhabited by Cozumel 'wannabees' who actually don't have a clue.  

We don't pull our punches here.  Telling you what you want to hear would not be doing you any favors in this case.  And you should carefully examine motives of anyone who is rah rah cheerleading your burn the bridges plan.  The internet cheer leaders are just shooting off their mouths to impress people with how much they know about Cozumel.  The friends you are planning to go into business with?  Carefully consider if your interests are truly aligned in all ways.  This is particularly true if you are expected to bring your own money to the table to make the business work.

#11 Pirata Canadiense

Pirata Canadiense

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

No...and again, it's the continuing assumptions that I have an issue with.   Direct information, great - but if you have a concern that I've (or anyone else for that matter) missed something and you are worried it will cause an issue, then ask me.    "Hey, did you know?..."  "Have you looked into...?"  That's all that's needed and frankly, a lot more efficient, direct and helpful than simply assuming I haven't.

My 'boyfriend'?   :blink:  LMAO!  I never once said my partner was a boyfriend...I think his wife might have an issue with that and I'm "angry"?  Wow...   Really, no.   I am not angry that you're not giving me 'pep talks' and I've actually had no "rah rah cheer-leading" from anyone as you put it.  None whatsoever and the thing is, more importantly - I neither want, nor have I asked for that.   What I do want is straight up information.   I'm also intelligent enough to know that several sources will be more reliable overall than one and also, to look into things with people that currently live there whenever possible.  Interestingly enough, the only question I have actually posed at this point was never even answered.  Instead a bunch of stuff was thrown at me as if I just got this idea in my head yesterday and am running with it, not having looked into anything.   Perhaps someone else needs that...but I don't.   I'm very direct (in case you haven't noticed that part yet ;) ) and when I want/need something and I will ask - but throwing a bunch of information and suggestions at me when I've already been/done/read/discussed...in some cases, months ago looked into...well, that's simply not helpful. 

Again, it comes down to this; to have so many assumptions made off a simple 'hello' I posted was not expected.  I've already been informed that there are people who won't post on this forum because of that very thing.   I didn't/don't feel the need to share with anyone the plans that have been made or research done.  How extensive my research and plans, etc. are is my business.   So frankly, most often my posts will be completely vague,  lighthearted, 'lackadaisical' and/or any other number of things - because I didn't come here to get my hand held or be babysat.   I only joined up so I could post and ask direct questions to get information.  

Bridges?   If you really must know, I guess it depends on what you consider to be bridges.  Personally, I have no real bridges to burn.    Period.   My mother is my only real connection to this country.   As far as her moving to Coz (knowing her so well), I'm sure she will have far more of an adjustment than I and I'm keeping that in mind and have been preparing her.  Which is also why she is considering all the options and not set in stone as to making the leap permanently at this point.  I'm perfectly fine with that and have no issues with her taking her time to be sure.  Oh, and yes, Charles.  She is special :D  

Yes Carey, thank you.   I'm making very sure our ideas and plans are aligned and not going to leave me hanging (as well as having legal advice on the matter).  I actually have a background in business so I have plenty to go over with him.

Thank you Paula (?).  I'm not discouraged.   Again, as this is far from a spur-of-the-moment decision, a lot of talking has been going on between my partner and I and we are going to be having some extensive discussions in a couple weeks.  Yes, there is risk associated, isn't there always?   The biggest issue is the visa - but having plan A/B and even a C is the best I can do.  At least I'm smart enough to have multiple plans as to how to go about things and understand things may not proceed in a direct manner to start with.   I've also come across enough information to know things don't seem to be set in stone in the matter.   More will be determined in the upcoming few months and until then, I have nothing written in cement.   I'm not coming down to build an empire and sail away on a yacht...LOL!  I have a business background and I'm fairly certain my expectations are quite in line with the reality of the business on the island.   Yes, my partner is well-established there already and has been in the business for several years - of course that's a huge bonus.  I would never be investing in this if he weren't B)

#12 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

Adrienne:  I have replied to your PM but hadn't read this thread before I did.

My husband & I came here are retirees with a solid bank account behind us.  We would never think of coming here to work.

I wish you all the best of luck but would agree with what has been said here.  Paula, Carey & Charles have been here for years and offer solid advice.  They only mean to help not criticize.

Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#13 Pirata Canadiense

Pirata Canadiense

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:29 PM

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't dispute anyone here having experience and potentially great advice to offer, especially if they've lived on the island for many years.   That's exactly why I've lurked this site in the past and joined up.   However, I prefer advice without all the speculation and conjecture on what I do or do not already know :rolleyes:   One (or even several people's) experience is not that of another.   So I'm taking everything, from everyone with a grain of salt.   Whether things went smoothly for them or not.   Again, just because it worked or didn't work for one person, doesn't assure the same for anyone else following.   It's all just info to add to the bank of knowledge on the subject.

Perhaps more important to point out, when there are people won't post on this forum specifically because of the way people jump to conclusions and/or and throw out what (in their own opinion) they think the poster 'need's' to hear versus the information or advice asked for...well then that just does everyone a disservice.   Perhaps that's not something that people have considered or were aware of.

#14 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

My apologies for what I may have, or not said.

Frankly, got to agree with you on some of your point!

Who gives a rats ass on old news, lectures...either you know what you're doing, or you don't. I'm not pay'n for it!

Perhaps adding a History section to the site would be of great interest.  

its your life, be good to yourself, and enjoy the adventure!

Anonymous

#15 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:41 PM

Here's advice:  before you even contemplate plan A, B or alternate plan C

Talk to an attorney, Gisela has been referred to you. There are a few others, but I wouldn't go near half the attorneys on the island. They'll rip you off, give you bad advice and simply, can't be trusted.

Talk to someone very competent in regard to immigration, NOT just the law, but how it is being interpreted, enforced and regulated on the island. No one is better qualified in this respect than Monica.

Then talk to a competent Certified Public Accountant, the tricky part will be the competence issue. Perhaps one of the two ladies above can make suggestions.

You are so absolutely right, just because the same story has been repeated 499 times in a row, there is no reason, none, to expect the 500th to experience any of the same. No matter if they ask a question that shows they lack basic understanding of Mexico's ever changing policies.

Since business regulations and taxation have been changed upside down that just went into effect on January 1, 2014, no one has a clue their ultimate impact, but universally accepted is that it will not be kind. So look at the old books, anticipate revenues, but recalculate those books based upon what will be reality in 2014.

If you have spare time, pray for the people that operate the 90 small businesses that are expected to fold in the coming months, just because they can't comply with the reporting and accounting measures. With your business background, I assume you knew all that.

#16 Pirata Canadiense

Pirata Canadiense

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

Yes Charles if you'll recall I asked you for Gisela's contact information in my message, unfortunately you were not able to provide it...and I'm just curious, how long ago did you move away from Cozumel and how is it you are staying current on the information from there?

#17 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

Well you are weathering the storm of advice rather well. Granted the people responding do know of what they speak but nobody was going to change our mind either so more power to you.

As far as I can tell the consulate lady was having an off day. If your mom meets the requirements financially then there should be no problem. I am am assuming her name is not Ma Barker. (american gangster mother) LOL. When and if you purchase a house here the requirements for income are a little less even ,so that may help.

We moved here as retired so our situation is different of course, Working here is a bitch but can be done. Just do it legally and you are good to follow your dreams. I believe the comment on old divers is for people like us who retired here, have or had health issues and decided we really do not need to dive to enjoy what the island has to offer. 

You mom is probably our age and we have several nights a week where we gather to play canasta or play other games that are fun and a good way to socialize.

The English speaking church on 30th is non denominational and is a good place to meet folks as well. I guess this is more advice for your mom but like I said she is probably closer to our age and it is what we do.

We did not rent first,we did purchase about four years before our move and then drove here from Colorado. None of these things were recommended but like yourself our mind was made up and that was that. We have been here a year and a half and this is it , no going home, no moving back just living the dream of doing nothing all day, or everything. Good place to be. 

Plenty of good realtors here so if one does not work or seems kinda snotty try another one, do not buy without one and do use a lawyer. 

Nancy Murray is nice as can be and laid back , easy to deal with and knows the island.

Ok three cents worth just wanted to say give em hell

#18 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:18 PM

I replied to your PM with the contact information for Gisela. I added that I hear she is spending more time in Playa, but if she feels she can't best assist you, I'd trust her recommendation. Read your personal messages where you messaged me.

COZUMELLAWYER.COM

email: Gisela@cozumellawyer.com I have alternate personal email which if you have problems, I can contact her directly for you

a couple of office phone numbers listed on website, office staff may not speak English

Monica Sauza Officially she is a court certified translator, but for the last five years she has assisted in filing needed immigration papers. Gisela is competent in these matters, but Monica tops everyone in staying absolutely current during periods that procedures and requirements changed monthly.

Monica Sauza: MOSAG@PRODIGY,NET.MX 

How do I stay current: well, I usually read three papers daily. I read a couple of blogs that rate as anti mainstream press. I keep an eye on four other Quintana Roo -Yucatan newspapers at least weekly. That's local or in the neighbourhood. I try to stay current of what is happening in Mexico City on the Federal level. From there of items of interest, I then go looking for links, often buried which could be considered, not necessarily anti government, but more pro-people. It is the people I care about, don't give a damn about the rest of it. It took a while to learn how to read Por Esto! I feel I can read Por Esto, detect and delete 80% of the distortions and take that 20% of truth, to begin a quest for the actual truth. Por Esto has done outstanding journalism, the newspaper functions as scandal rag.

The press is afraid to report on the cartels, news almost doesn't make it to publishing, especially in the hot zones under cartel control. News, real time information, photos and reports from the street are all provided by bloggers, a brave lot who dare to spread the truth. Unrelated, but a good example was the Yo soy 132 movement, a spontaneous grassroots movement of students in response to the distortions of government and their press. 

Now of potential interest to the local controlling powers to be, I'm going to check out the disclosed info on the arrest of Chapo Guzman. Some Zetas should be celebrating tonight! 

#19 Pirata Canadiense

Pirata Canadiense

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

Hi Hilbilly...LOL!  No, not Ma Barker.   She's a fiesty one and tonnes of fun - but nothing dangerous.  Thanks for answering, it seemed so odd to me that the consulate lady would say that because yes, she not only meets but well exceeds their financial requirements.   Perhaps the lady was making an assumption that my Mom was mistaken somehow and did not meet requirements...or has a criminal mastermind past to hide :huh:

Yes!   Nancy Murray's name and number was given to me by some very nice American ex-pats my mother and I met in January.   I have no email for her though...I don't suppose you have an email address for her do you?  I was actually planning on calling her next week but would love to save the International calling fees if possible. 

Thank you Charles.  If anyone has any other suggested reading, I'd really appreciate the names and/or links.    I'm already lurking on some other sites and have joined one other forum (directly for business reasons) however I know online, it's important to have a wide net of information to choose from to get (hopefully) as true a picture as possible and the correct information.   Actually, now that I think about it...I shall start a 'suggested reading' thread.  :P

#20 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

Nancy Murray De Anda on facebook. We use Cozumel 4 You, most local info is there for all to see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users