• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

Carey:  Tried sending you a PM but it said you cannot receive any new messages so posting here.

We are looking to buy a new car and got some strange news from a local expat.  Can't seem to get the real scoop as everyone seems to buy used so Paula said to ask you as you had just bought a new car.

The guy at the Nissan dealership said the price included everything EXCEPT the plates which would be another 2.8% of the car.  That seemed reasonable.  And then you pay for tags every year....probably the same 2.8% of the original value of the car for your plates.  We were okay with that it was this extra tax (???) every year for 10 years at 10%, 9%, 8% etc

This is HUGE and doesn't make sense to us.  Can you please shed any light on it?

Thanks
Betty

Betty
Retired in Cozumel in January 2014

#2 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

I do not know much but from what I hear you get reamed on plates for a new car. Friend purchased a new motorcycle a few years ago and his plates were 11 hundred first year, 1k 2nd year, 850 following year. Get where this is going. They tax the heck out of ya. Try fiesta rental or one of the other rental companies . See what they have and then go to the license plate place and ask them how much please. Seems I have heard Carrie speak of this and you might use the search function on the forum for some of this stuff.

#3 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:30 PM

Thanks hillbilly.  I tried to do a search under "new car" and got no returns.

Paula had suggested I ask Carey as she just bought a new car.  I thought it would be true and recent advice.

Thanks for your story about your friend's bike.  That is what my hubby thought maybe it was.  High cost for plates every year; reducing until the 10 year mark.  That could be very expensive on a $31K CAN SUV

Betty

Betty

#4 KAC

KAC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:00 AM

We have a used car and the licensing works the same. They go by the year and make and value of the vehicle. Each year our plates are a little less. Next year it will be 10 years old......

#5 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:06 AM

OK, here's my experience. We bought a brand new car in March, 2011 (VW Jetta). The tenencia was over $500. However, knock on wood, since that time I've not had to pay it. I just paid for the plates last week, and the total was $769 pesos. That's less than I paid in TX, and it has been like that every year since we purchased. Actually, here is what I've paid (it looks like there was a small tenencia this year I guess):

2014 - $769

2013 - $289

2012 - $278

2011 - $5545

So, not so bad IMHO.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#6 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

Thanks guys.  Funny Kandy that yours seems to be going up; not down.

Betty

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

I bought my car 1.5 years ago and don't have the detailed records at hand that Kandy does.  (Impressive!)  However, there was no tenencia the year I bought it and there was the second year.  But the figures she's quoting for the second year onward sound about right for my 2013 (bought in late 2013) VW jetta.

#8 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:58 AM

Not really that impressive  :P Since I had just gone to pay for this year, the file was sitting right beside my computer. I honestly believe that the cost is sometimes a cr*p shoot. For all I know, I got ripped off this year and padded someone's pocket. If anyone else can share what their fee was this year, I'd be grateful!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#9 alma

alma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:43 AM

We just bought a car here.  We paid 800 pesos for the plates.  There was no tenecia and we were told that there is no longer any tenencia being charged on vehicles.  There were no additional charges other than the price of the car, the plates, and insurance which was about 7,000 pesos per year.

#10 marlinfishing

marlinfishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Interests:Deep sea fishing, college football, NFL & relaxing...

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

We just bought a car here.  We paid 800 pesos for the plates.  There was no tenecia and we were told that there is no longer any tenencia being charged on vehicles.  There were no additional charges other than the price of the car, the plates, and insurance which was about 7,000 pesos per year.

Alma, 7,000 pesos/year sounds real good.  Is that liability & collision?

"We live in a culture of simulation, in which nothing is what it seems and the image that reigns has no reference to the real world."  (The Art Of War, Sun Tzu)  It is what it is...  THAT never changes.

#11 BettyfromToronto

BettyfromToronto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:23 PM

Sorry for not understanding.

What is tenencia ?

I am not asking about insurance.  I am asking about the cost of the car when you buy it new + the plates/tags and then is there any other continuing cost every year besides the renewal of the plates/tags?

Thanks

Betty

Betty

#12 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:28 PM

The tenencia is a tax on new cars and it used to be quite huge for the first 2-3 years, yearly..  They've done away with it at least for time being.  So that's one cost you don't have right now at least.  Wait an hour and it might change, however.

#13 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:Retired here in Cozumel and loving it

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:43 PM

Shoot I think I remember Luh of Magic Design telling us on a post or somewhere that she had purchased a car and they had not charged her enough for a few years and then came after her for the difference. I guess they acted like it was her fault even though they set the rate of course. Bastards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users