8 replies to this topic

#1 Zoey

Zoey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:38 PM

Hello,

My name is Zoey, my husband and I want to move to Cozumel sometime this year. We are in our late 20´s and want a nice calm place to start our family. Don´t get me wrong, we love the U.S but we know how hectic it can be. We have many questions about the island and we were hoping to get some answers here.

1- Is establishing a Bar/Restaurant a good source of income?

2-Which parts of the Island would you recommend for living?

3-How much is it more or less the rent for a 1br apartment close to the beach?        

4- How a about hurricanes? Do you get many of those?

We would also love to hear you experience in the Island! How do you like it?

Thank you!!!

Zoey

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:56 PM

Question1:  It can be, and there are some very successful bar/restaurants here.  With that said, it will be difficult to establish yourself.  You might just watch what is going on, and find out why they have succeeded.

Question2:Living here depends on what you're able to afford.  If I lived in town, I would want to find something 'IN' town that I could walk or bike to the grocery store.  Forget anything past 30th ave.

Question3: You will not find a one bedroom anything on the beach unless you have have big bucks.

Question4:Last hurricane we had was Wilma (2005) and it kicked our asses, Cat 5.  But, with a lot of effort from everyone on the island, we were able to accept the first ship back in 3 weeks.  

The best advice I can give you is to see who is doing business now.  Visit the locations, and identify how they are succeeding.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 Zoey

Zoey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for your answers, that helps. I forgot to ask about healthcare! How does it work there? Are the healthcare facilities in good conditions? Also I was wondering if I wanted to get a job  could I do so with my U.S passport or do I need Mexican papers?

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

if this is a spur of the moment idea, you really need to take time to dig down, and dig deep on a lot of information before coming here.

If you were to "buy" an existing SUCCESSFUL bar/restaurant you're going to need a few hundred thousand dollars.  You will get the location and the liquor licences and that's it. You will not own the building, you will pay rent, which could be a couple thousand a month...easy.

You may be able to purchase the Corporation, or you may have to form you own, which is a few thousand dollars, plus hire an account, which will also be  thousands of dollars per year.

You can purchase health insurance here, and it is quite reasonable, but be aware if it is a major medical condition or a major medical emergency you will need to make arrangement to either be taken to a trauma center in Mexico, or pay for transportation back to the US.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:17 AM

Paula has answered most of your questions.  I will add that you can't work until you achieve at least residente permanente status which takes a good little while.  I am vague on how long because I'm not sure.  But it certainly won't be less than a year and might be as much as four years of living here before you can get it.  Once you have the permanent visa that proves you live on Cozumel and aren't just visiting, you are ilegible to be hired.

However, as a non Mexican citizen the cards are stacked against you.  Mexican businesses have quotas on how many Mexicans they have to hire to how many foreigners with proper papers and I don't think you have to guess too hard to figure out how that deck plays out.

You are better off finding your own niche after studying the markets for a Loooong time and then bringing your own money to the table and starting a business once you've identified a need.

As to health care, it's pretty good here at the San Miguel clinic and the prices are a bit lower than in the states as long as they know you're local.  For anything major you would want to take the bus or fly Maya Air to a world class (truly) medical center in Merida.  Where treatment will be excellent and prices far less than in a US hospital.  Serious medical tourism going on in Merida.

#6 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

You can work with temporary residency. People who are not even here yet have been able to obtain perm. res. through the Mexican consulate in the USA and are given to them as soon as they arrive.

Cozumel Diving

#7 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:39 AM

My daughter will recieve TP lucrative as she will be teaching at a school here on the Island.  Her car will be nationalized as she can not have a TIP with that status.

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:56 AM

what is a " TP lucrative"?

Anonymous

#9 cozdaddy

cozdaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Scubadiving, underwater photography. Landscape and people photography

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:17 AM

Zoey some of the posters that have responded have lived her a lot longer than I have but one thing I've learned is if are the sort of person that requires promptness from anyone one coming to your house for repairs and they don't show up until an hour or two later you will not survive here it will drive you crazy just like it does to my wife. You need to learn to embrace the manana style if not oh well.

Breath in Breath out move on

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users