• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 SavageRose

SavageRose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:49 PM

I would like some information on the best beaches. We're spring breakers but we aren't big drinkers. Just looking for nice beaches to lie out on and work on the tan and maybe try some snorkeling. What do people recommend? Oh, also how's the surf and can we rent boogie boards? Thanks

#2 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:42 PM

Aw....c'mon...make snorkeling a priority as opposed to tanning. Cozumel has some of the best reefs in the world. Get your face in the water darlin'....you'll be amazed. You will only find surf on the east side where there is some surf board rentals but you really have to be careful of the undertow. Boogie boards? Maybe, but I doubt it. Take a day sail on the Tucan and enjoy a bit of fishing, a bit of snorkeling and spinaker rides. They drop you at a secluded beach and also make you lunch. Or go to Palancar Beach and go out to the reefs and snorkel on a small boat for $35....or just shore snorkel all along the west side of the island south of town and a couple of places north of town. A reminder that sandy "real" beaches are not going to have good snorkeling...you have to have iron shore for a good snorkel but the ironshore beaches have manmade "beaches."

#3 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:27 PM

Beach wise it sounds like you might like the East side of the island. There are a few bars over there, but mostly it's just 18 miles of beach. If you get over there early enough you can have a couple of miles of beach to yourself. Be wary anytime you swim or try to surf, but the rip over there is way exaggerated. There is not much surf, but you can sometimes surf or body surf at Punta Moreno. You can buy boogie boards at Chedrui and Mega for around $25USD. They are fun just to float around on and they are inexpensive enough that you can afford to just leave it with some local beach kid when you are finished.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with relaxing and just hanging out. I wouldn't feel like I had to pack every minute with something to do. Frankly in the past, that is what most people came down here for...to dive or snorkel and just decompress from their lives in the "real" world. The island is so beautiful that it is just wonderful to find a nice place to hang out and enjoy it in a passive way. I hate that feeling of going on vacation and feeling like I need a rest once it is over.

Cozumel Diving

#4 TheOptimist

TheOptimist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:27 PM

Definitely the east side for just hanging out on a beach. Any of the beach clubs will also serve a good snack or meal and the beers and maragritas go down easy. Just be careful if you are driving cuz the policia are looking for DUI'S and they WILL nail you.
A godd spot for a swim is Chen Rio but the best party time is Coconuts.

On the West side I recommend the Money Bar for a relaxing afternoon - also for good food - and snorkeling nearby is good.

Right in town there is no accessable "beach" but you can go North to the hotel zone and you might get to acess one of their man made beaches if you know how to do it. I've heard that $50 pesos to the right guy will get you access. Try the Coral Princess for one.

If you are willing to spend the $$$$$ I do recommend one of the Snorkel Boats that will take you out to the reefs. A great experience.

Wherever you go, be sure to tip the local staff generously when you are provided good service. The people of Cozumel are experiencing tough times right now and it will be very much appreciated.

Mike

#5 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:37 PM

A reminder that the east side is pretty packed on Sundays with locals...it's their day off.

#6 kentukcoz

kentukcoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:31 PM

Don't forget Punta Sur at the Southeast tip of Coz. Great beach, fabulous swimming, good snorkeling(although the reef is way out there). Best on a Sunday with no tour groups coming in from the cruise ships.Downsides are since its an "eco-park" there is an admission fee ($10), you'll need a rental car to get there, limited food, not many other extra feature either.

#7 kentukcoz

kentukcoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:33 PM

Correction Punta Sur is at the southwestern tip of Coz

#8 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:31 PM

Must say hello to Max the crocodile. No, he's not on the beach.

Punta Sur is a phenomenal snorkel, but for strong swimmers. It's a long way out and a long walk back. Fantastic sea fan garden, and while you usually see one or two ocean trigger fish other places, here you see schools of them and they're BIG. Huge starfish and sponges.

#9 kentukcoz

kentukcoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:15 AM

Don't forget the Turtles at Punta Sur either.

#10 SavageRose

SavageRose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:33 PM

All this sounds awesome. But if we stay in town like I think we're going to for the price we're going to need a way to get there. There aren't any beaches in town? Seriously? And don't worry. No mopeds. I got the message.

#11 kentukcoz

kentukcoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:54 PM

Taxi ride to Punta Sur would be way too expensive. A good plan for a day trip would be to rent a car and hit PS when it opens at 9:00AM when it is deserted and you'll have 2 miles of
beach to yourself. Snorkel early before any crowds beat you to the reef.(don't drink as much tequila the night before like my wife and I did the first time we went there).Stay till
2:00 or 3:00 then work your way up the East side beach clubs starting at Rastas which is right outside of PS entrance finishing at Mezcalitos or Senior Iguanas. (Coconuts about halfway
up is our favorite). Then you cut back across to San Miguel on the transversal road. Finish your trip before dark and bring a designated driver.

;

#12 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:17 AM

SavageRose, a car doesn't have to be a huge expense. If you are in town, go over to Rentadora Isis (Avenida 5 between Calle 2 and 4) and ask for Margarita. You can rent a good, reliable car WITH insurance for $35 a day. She has VW convertibles and other options.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#13 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:48 PM

Seriously. There really aren't any beaches in town. You can take a long walk north or a long walk south to get to some.

#14 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:03 PM

Well, don't forget Las Casitas, the People's Beach that is about 3 blocks north of Airport Blvd. Some sand and a lot of rocks. No amenities to speak of. But there are places to get into the water without hurting your feet and the water is lovely and there's no boat traffic. Definitely good for a dip if you're staying near there. Sundays this area is packed with locals.

#15 lexicon

lexicon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, walking, pets and all animal life, beaches. lots of sun, good Mexican food.

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:53 AM

I know this may sound like we were idiots, but when my husband and I were in Cozumel just a month ago, we decided to go to several beaches on the west side. We were driving on the new coastal road going south. Do you think that we go find one of those well-advertised beaches? No way. We looked for signage as we drove but couldn't locate any of the entrances to any of these well-known beaches. Were we on the wrong road or what? Is there no signs indicating the roads to these beaches? Help please.

#16 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:31 PM

You were probably driving on the new, slightly inland road instead of the old, much more scenic but slower winding, two laner that runs right past all the west side beach clubs.

#17 Grumpy

Grumpy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:08 AM

Coming to Cozemel via Cruise Ship. Doing my homework by way of surfing the internet. We are interested in a quiet beach setting, No diving or crowds. Seems that Passion Island looks like the ideal spot but kind of pricey. And it gets mixed reviews (Some say it's not worth it that other beach clubs are just as nice). I sure would like to get others opinions. Arrival - June 4th 2010 on Carnival Conquest. I've had 4 back surgeries recently and a knee replacement so PLEASE no hiking trails. Also my wife "LOVES" Tex-Mex, where can we get REAL Mexican grub. And where would you recommend for T-Shirts - We have 10 grandkids, all different sizes.

Thanks in advance

Grumpy (Not Really)
Fort Worth Texas

#18 ez_stop1

ez_stop1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:07 PM

Coming to Cozemel via Cruise Ship. Doing my homework by way of surfing the internet. We are interested in a quiet beach setting, No diving or crowds. Seems that Passion Island looks like the ideal spot but kind of pricey. And it gets mixed reviews (Some say it's not worth it that other beach clubs are just as nice). I sure would like to get others opinions. Arrival - June 4th 2010 on Carnival Conquest. I've had 4 back surgeries recently and a knee replacement so PLEASE no hiking trails. Also my wife "LOVES" Tex-Mex, where can we get REAL Mexican grub. And where would you recommend for T-Shirts - We have 10 grandkids, all different sizes.

Grumpy,
From what I know....Passion Island is a mainly a cruise ship excursion. I have heard that it is indeed beautiful, but there are many beaches just as beautiful - AND FREE - on the eastern side of the island. Hire a taxi driver to take you there. You can negotiate a tour & price with one of the many cabbies that will be waiting when you exit the pier area and they will take you wherever you want to go. Just be sure to tell him exactly where YOU want to go because they are paid commissions to bring tourists to certain restaurants, etc. If you don't specify or ask for a suggestion on a destination you'll most likely end up at one of these. Tell him you want to go to the 'wild side' and as you drive on the shoreline road, just have him pull over and stop when you see something that looks good to you. It could be an especially beautiful stretch of sand or a beach bar/restaurant, but it's completely up to you. No crowds and/or high prices in a captive. controlled environment. Your cabbie will just sit and wait on you. If you want, you can choose to invite him to join you in your activities or just have him play the role of the patient driver. Just be sure to take good sunscreen, and at least a quart bottle of water each for a couple of hours minimum. Watch the undertow too - the currents can be deadly on that side of the island. A good rule of thumb is to have the driver tell you when you drive past St. Martin Beach. There is a flag that's visible from the road that will tell you the danger level of the current that day. If it is red - don't get in much past your hips!

As far as the Tex-Mex cuisine goes...I'm from San Antonio and have never gotten any food on Cozumel that is the same type of "Mexican food" as we have here in Texas. For certain - not the chili covered enchiladas, tacos with sour cream, jalapenos, etc. There may be a place on the island that serves food like that, but I've never seen or eaten in one. With that being said - the food is delicious there in a different way - but definitely not Tex-Mex style.

There are lots of t-shirt shops downtown. Whatever pier your ship docks at will most likely have whatever you need. If you search, you can find specials for '4 for $20.00US' all day long. Lots of variety and quality. You can spend less or more, depending on your budget. There would probably be a little better pricing at the shops downtown, but if you don't want to mess with doing that, just pay the little bit extra for the convenience and get them at the cruise pier shops.

Have fun - you'll love it! And don't be afraid to get off away from the cruise ship excursions. They always try to scare you to not venture out on your own, but that's just a crock. Don't fall for it. Cozumel is extremely safe and friendly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users